Routers for long lines

Old April 21st 08, 09:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WCZ

Default Routers for long lines

As I'm on a Max product now I'm feeling the urge to get as much as I can out
of my long line. Are there any routers that are particularly good with long
lines or is my Netgear 834G going to give me about the best sync I can
expect?

--

WCZ

Old April 21st 08, 10:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adam Lipscombe

By far the best performance on my 7.5 km line is with a 2wire 2700, aka the BT Business Hub.
It syncs at 1900 - 2.2 mb, IMO pretty good. When I first got cojnnected BT said they could only
gauarantee 512k.

I have also tried a fritzbox and a US robotics, both of wich struggle to sync at 1 MB.

If you dont use BT as your ISP there are plenty of hacked ones going cheap on ebay.

HTH - Adam

Old April 21st 08, 10:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WCZ

Adam Lipscombe wrote:
By far the best performance on my 7.5 km line is with a 2wire 2700,
aka the BT Business Hub. It syncs at 1900 - 2.2 mb, IMO pretty good.
When I first got cojnnected BT said they could only gauarantee 512k.

You're the second person to mention 2wire. Is this the one?

http://www.digidave.co.uk/product_in...a441850a945b7f

30 quid is cheap enough. Never heard of digidave though...........

--

WCZ

Old April 21st 08, 11:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterC

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 09:49:57 +0100, WCZ wrote:

Adam Lipscombe wrote:
By far the best performance on my 7.5 km line is with a 2wire 2700,
aka the BT Business Hub. It syncs at 1900 - 2.2 mb, IMO pretty good.
When I first got cojnnected BT said they could only gauarantee 512k.

You're the second person to mention 2wire. Is this the one?

http://www.digidave.co.uk/product_in...a441850a945b7f

30 quid is cheap enough. Never heard of digidave though...........

It's very interesting if it's that good with connections - thanks for the
link.

Is it possible to 'disable' the wireless side of it or, if not, is there a
wired equivalent?

The site looks good: plenty of specs. and the summary of equipment needed
are helpful.
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.
Old April 21st 08, 12:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

WCZ wrote:
: As I'm on a Max product now I'm feeling the urge to get as much as I can out
: of my long line. Are there any routers that are particularly good with long
: lines or is my Netgear 834G going to give me about the best sync I can
: expect?

It's always worth going over the house wiring with a fine tooth comb first!
I tried my Sky DG834GT on the master socket and got 2Mb speed increase. By
removing the "ring" wire on my house extensions and generally remaking
connections I got the extension the router lives on up to nearly that speed.
Old April 21st 08, 12:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WCZ

Brian McIlwrath wrote:
WCZ wrote:
As I'm on a Max product now I'm feeling the urge to get as much as I
can out of my long line. Are there any routers that are
particularly good with long lines or is my Netgear 834G going to
give me about the best sync I can expect?

It's always worth going over the house wiring with a fine tooth comb
first! I tried my Sky DG834GT on the master socket and got 2Mb speed
increase. By removing the "ring" wire on my house extensions and
generally remaking connections I got the extension the router lives
on up to nearly that speed.

I've already done that unfortunately. Currently have a filter plugged into
the test socket.

--

WCZ

Old April 21st 08, 12:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adam Lipscombe

Yes thats it. 2Wire 2700 HGV.

When given away by BT they are locked to BT as the ISP, but can be easily unlocked.
Make sure you buy an unlocked one unless you are using BT. There are loads on Ebay - I would have
thought 30 was quite expensive for one of these.

One word of caution: I have not been able to unlock the VOIP functionality - so far only works with
BT VOIP. Others have reported success though - see the the scream forums for much good info about
this router: http://www.the-scream.co.uk/forums/t...highlight=2700

The VOIP and wireless funcs can be disabled via the web admin interface if you dont want them.

Adam

Old April 21st 08, 12:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adam Lipscombe

Is it possible to 'disable' the wireless side of it or, if not, is there a
wired equivalent?

Both VOIP and wireless can be disabled easily via the admin interface.
Not so easy to unlock the VOIP from BT to another provider though. Some have reported success but I
haven't managed it - yet :-)

The scream forum is the best resource that I know for this piece of kit:
http://www.the-scream.co.uk/forums/t...highlight=2700

For what its worth I have had a slight faster connection using the latest BT firmware than the SBC
generic firmware mentioned on the forum.

I am puzzled why these routers sync so much faster than anything else I have tried. Its not just me
- others have reported similar findings, both in the US and here. Is it the hardware? Firmware?

Whatever, if you have a long or noisy line these are the best bet IMO.

Adam

Old April 21st 08, 01:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adam Lipscombe

I just noticed - the advert on digidave is fort the 2700HG - not the 2700 HGV.
I presume that's the same thing without the VOIP functionality, but you would be wise to check that.

Adam

Old April 21st 08, 02:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

WCZ wrote:

: I've already done that unfortunately. Currently have a filter plugged into
: the test socket.

Also good (IMHO anyway) is firmware which allows for tinkering with the target
SNR - which routers normally download from the DSLAM. I use the "Uber GT"
firmware on my DG834GT. I can thus tune for higher speed (at lower SNR)
and back off if I go too far.

I believe some routers may allow this as a basic facility.