Tiscali webmail problems

Old April 21st 08, 11:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Default Tiscali webmail problems

A neighbour from about four doors down has just asked my advice about a
problem she's having but I don't think I can do much - anyone know any way
round this?

When she opens Outlook Express it checks for mail and tells her that there's
37 messages, and begins to download them. Unfortunately, it gets five of
them but stalls on the sixth one. She's only on dial-up (getting 40kbps) and
after 20 minutes it's only downloaded about 30% of the message and then the
connection times out.

I suggested that she goes in through the webmail interface to see what the
message is and if she doesn't want or need it, she can delete it from the
server and then use OE as normal.

Problem is, Tiscali's webmail keeps asking her to log in but, even though
she *is* using the correct username/password, it keeps rejecting it and
saying invalid username or password, so she can't get into webmail to delete
the offending message and OE can't download it either.

Any way round this folks?

Thanks,
John

Old April 21st 08, 12:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

"John" [email protected] wrote in message ...
[...]

Get a command prompt
telnet pop.tiscali.co.uk
user
pass your_password
list (shows size of each message with a sequene number)
dele n (where n=the sequence number shown in list)
quit (you must issue the quit command or nothing gets deleted)

If the server does not recognise your username/password close
the command-prompt and start a new telnet session

--
Graham

%Profound_observation%

Old April 21st 08, 12:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

Correction, first line should read
telnet pop.tiscali.co.uk 110
--
Graham

%Profound_observation%

Old April 21st 08, 12:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Graham. wrote:
Correction, first line should read
telnet pop.tiscali.co.uk 110

Brilliant, thanks Graham.

John

Old April 21st 08, 12:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 21/04/2008 in message John wrote:

I suggested that she goes in through the webmail interface to see what the
message is and if she doesn't want or need it, she can delete it from the
server and then use OE as normal.

Problem is, Tiscali's webmail keeps asking her to log in but, even though
she is using the correct username/password, it keeps rejecting it and
saying invalid username or password, so she can't get into webmail to
delete the offending message and OE can't download it either.

I had this once with TheBat! - a corrupted message that caused down

I have a different password for webmail and POP3, I wonder if she is using
the wrong password?

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.
Old April 21st 08, 12:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Jeff Gaines wrote:
On 21/04/2008 in message John wrote:

I suggested that she goes in through the webmail interface to see
what the message is and if she doesn't want or need it, she can
delete it from the server and then use OE as normal.

Problem is, Tiscali's webmail keeps asking her to log in but, even
though she is using the correct username/password, it keeps
rejecting it and saying invalid username or password, so she can't
get into webmail to delete the offending message and OE can't
download it either.

I had this once with TheBat! - a corrupted message that caused down
me.
I have a different password for webmail and POP3, I wonder if she is
using the wrong password?

That's a good point. I'll ask her before we try Graham's telnet solution.
Cheers Jeff.

John

Old April 21st 08, 02:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Jeff Gaines wrote:
On 21/04/2008 in message John wrote:

I suggested that she goes in through the webmail interface to see
what the message is and if she doesn't want or need it, she can
delete it from the server and then use OE as normal.

Problem is, Tiscali's webmail keeps asking her to log in but, even
though she is using the correct username/password, it keeps
rejecting it and saying invalid username or password, so she can't
get into webmail to delete the offending message and OE can't
download it either.

I had this once with TheBat! - a corrupted message that caused down
me.
I have a different password for webmail and POP3, I wonder if she is
using the wrong password?

That's a good point. I'll ask her before we try Graham's telnet solution.
Cheers Jeff.

And try using webmail from a different computer - this would avoid any
problems with a corrupted browser ...

-- Graham J