Intermittent router problem

Old April 21st 08, 03:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
GB

Default Intermittent router problem

I have a Belkin F5D8230-4 wireless router, and a speedtouch 586 broadband
modem. This all works very nicely nearly all the time. However, every so
often, the connection between the modem and the router gets partially
broken. It continues to pass through NG information and some games seem to
work, but not web browser stuff. Also, I can log into the wireless router,
but not the modem. This sometimes happens twice a day, and sometimes 2 weeks
can go by without a problem. It is easy to fix simply by telling the
wireless router to restart itself.

My guess is that it's some obscure firewall problem on the wireless router.
We had the same problem with a different broadband modem, so I think it's
the router. It's just not bad enough for me to want to change the router,
but it would be nice to fix it.

Any help please?

Old April 21st 08, 08:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Gordy

I lived with this problem for years and it drove me insane. Simple answer is
the router has too many ports open.

Nearly always caused by p2p software like torrents etc. You need to throttle
down the number of ports opened in your client programs and if you can get
to the options in the router setup look for the floowing settings and change
them to what ive written....

Maximum pors = 4096
TCP Timeout = 120
UDP Timeout = 120

Unfortunatly a lot of routers wont show this unless you have got some third
party firmware installed like dd-wrt which is highly recomended.

Gordy

Old April 21st 08, 10:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
GB

"Gordy" wrote in message
I lived with this problem for years and it drove me insane. Simple answer
is the router has too many ports open.

Nearly always caused by p2p software like torrents etc. You need to
throttle down the number of ports opened in your client programs and if
you can get to the options in the router setup look for the floowing
settings and change them to what ive written....

Maximum pors = 4096
TCP Timeout = 120
UDP Timeout = 120

Unfortunatly a lot of routers wont show this unless you have got some
third party firmware installed like dd-wrt which is highly recomended.

Gordy

Thanks. Those options cannot be configured using the Belkin firmware.

I did check the dd-wrt list, and this router is included in the list. I am
just somewhat doubtful about flashing it, in case something goes wrong. I
don't have a spare one sitting around. Before I try that, are there any
other possibilities?

Old April 22nd 08, 04:42 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Gordy

"GB" wrote in message

"Gordy" wrote in message
[...]

I would seriously look into flashing dd-wrt. It really opens up the
functions of your router. Flashing is often pretty simple and the only thing
that can go wrong is not reading through instructions properly and flashing
the wrong firmware.

Have a look on their site again and see if your confident to go ahead. If
you get stuck throw me an email and ill double check you have the right
flash etc.

Gordy

Old April 22nd 08, 01:03 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
GB

"Gordy" wrote in message

"GB" wrote in message

"Gordy" wrote in message
[...]

Well, there are a few things that can go wrong then, as the documentation is
in German, and my German is a bit rusty. Perhaps I can just check with you
what I have found on their website:

My router, Belkin F5D8230-4, is on the supported list. It has 16 MB of RAM,
which is good.

Under wireless NIC it says: 'Airgo (must be replaced)'. I don't understand
what that means.

min required DD-WRT version : v.24 rc7 - build 9360. Hmmm, under stable
versions on the downloads page, the highest version number is v.23. Under
release candidates, the highest number is v24 RC6.2. I can't find an RC7
anywhere. This is not looking good. :/

If I can find the correct version (or perhaps you can help me find it), then
it appears that I have to go through a rather odd routine described he
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Tftp_flash

I also have to find a windows xp TFTP client. Would the first one in the
list do?
http://sourceforge.net/search/?type_...t&words=tft p

The router has an option to update it's firmware in its menu. Would that
work instead?
To say I am confused is an understatement.

Have a look on their site again and see if your confident to go ahead.

Nope

If you get stuck throw me an email and ill double check you have the right
flash etc.

Hope it's okay to post here in case it's of help to others.

Gordy

Old April 22nd 08, 01:20 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
GB

Ah, found this thread:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtop...=asc&sta rt=0

It looks to me as though this is not at all a simple proposition. Apart from
anything else, I would need to replace one of the cards inside the router,
and I don't have a replacement. Might be fun if this were a spare sitting
around, but it's not. The whole family network (8 computers) hangs off this
router.

Old April 22nd 08, 02:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article , GB
says...
Ah, found this thread:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtop...=asc&sta rt=0

It looks to me as though this is not at all a simple proposition. Apart from
anything else, I would need to replace one of the cards inside the router,
and I don't have a replacement.

Available on eBay from about 7.50 inc. delivery.

Old April 23rd 08, 02:49 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Gordy

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
In article , GB
says...
Ah, found this thread:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtop...=asc&sta rt=0

It looks to me as though this is not at all a simple proposition. Apart
from
anything else, I would need to replace one of the cards inside the router,
and I don't have a replacement.

Available on eBay from about 7.50 inc. delivery.

Does make it that little bit more complicated tho dosent it :/

Dont know why your seeing it all in german either; your on www.dd-wrt.com ?

Old April 23rd 08, 11:35 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
GB

"Gordy" wrote in message

It looks to me as though this is not at all a simple proposition. Apart
from
anything else, I would need to replace one of the cards inside the
router,
and I don't have a replacement.

Available on eBay from about 7.50 inc. delivery.

Does make it that little bit more complicated tho dosent it :/

Not just that, but the wireless is the part of the machine that recommended
it to me in the first place. This has very high penetration, and we have
very thick walls, so need that.

Dont know why your seeing it all in german either; your on www.dd-wrt.com
?

He http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/dd-wrt/downloads.html look under