BT Voyager 240 to what?

Old April 24th 08, 08:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TheOldFellow

Default BT Voyager 240 to what?

When I went ADSL in 2005, I bought a BT Voyager 240 from my ISP. It
has always seemed to be OK, but reading this list suggests that it
might be either a bit long-in-the-tooth or otherwise in need of a
replacement. In any case I'd like to add WiFi, and I am about to
rewire the whole bungalow for both 'phone and Ethernet with Cat5e - as
part of this I was going to reposition the Router about a metre from the
ADSL-filtered NTE5 on the incommer from B(spit)T. Note I'm about 6
kilometres from LCBAS exchange which is not ADSL+ enabled, and doesn't
get 21CN until Q4 2009 (says Samknows).

This is what the Voyager 240 is saying about the line:

Line Mode G.dmt Line State Show Time
Latency Type Interleave Line Up Time 05:19:10:57
Line Coding Trellis On Line Up Count 1

Statistics Downstream Upstream
Line Rate 1664 448
Noise Margin 6.0 dB 20.0 dB
Line Attenuation 44.5 dB 25.5 dB
Output Power 12.3 dBm 17.5 dBm
K (number of bytes in DMT frame) 53 15
R (number of checkbytes in RS codeword) 16 16
S (RS code word size in DMT frame) 4 8
D (interleaver depth) 8 4
Super Frames 29474018 29474016
Super Frame Errors 3 8
RS Words 501058308 250529136
RS Correctable Errors 8060892 88
RS Uncorrectable Errors 19 0
HEC Errors 4 0
OCD Errors 0 0
LCD Errors 0 0
ES Errors 0 0

Currently the Voyager is on an extension 40 meandering-metres from the
NTE5, with a couple of stubs wired off the main trunk - wired in 1970's
style BT wires, by BT. (So I know that ain't helping) Trying it from
the master-socket is going to be a pain, but it's on my list....

One option is to place the whole installation including router in the
loft above the NTE5 - which is quite accessible (Bungalow).

I'm not drawn to un-locking BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGVs with all
the risks of making it unusable. But I don't need VOIP particularly as
my phone package is free to 01x and 02x 24/7.

Any advice would be appreciated.

R.