BT 21CN activation 30/4/08

Old April 24th 08, 04:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DAB sounds worse than FM

Default BT 21CN activation 30/4/08

The exchange I'm on has got a WBC 21CN activation date of next Wednesday.

Should I expect the earth to move?

The adoption of DAB was the most incompetent technical
decision ever made in the history of UK broadcasting:
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/da...ion_of_dab.htm

Old April 24th 08, 05:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Howard Neil

DAB sounds worse than FM wrote:
The exchange I'm on has got a WBC 21CN activation date of next Wednesday.

Should I expect the earth to move?

If you believe that analogue sounds better than digital, you may find
that the sound quality of your phone is not to your liking. ;-)

--
Howard Neil
Old April 24th 08, 10:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Howard Neil" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
DAB sounds worse than FM wrote:
The exchange I'm on has got a WBC 21CN activation date of next Wednesday.

Should I expect the earth to move?

If you believe that analogue sounds better than digital, you may find that
the sound quality of your phone is not to your liking. ;-)

Its already digital and has been for years.
(8k 8 bit samples per second)

Old April 24th 08, 11:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Howard Neil

[email protected] wrote:

"Howard Neil" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
DAB sounds worse than FM wrote:
The exchange I'm on has got a WBC 21CN activation date of next
Wednesday.

Should I expect the earth to move?

If you believe that analogue sounds better than digital, you may find
that the sound quality of your phone is not to your liking. ;-)

Its already digital and has been for years.
(8k 8 bit samples per second)

Not on the local loop.

--
Howard Neil
Old April 25th 08, 08:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterT

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 23:58:40 +0100, Howard Neil
wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

"Howard Neil" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
DAB sounds worse than FM wrote:
The exchange I'm on has got a WBC 21CN activation date of next
Wednesday.

Should I expect the earth to move?

If you believe that analogue sounds better than digital, you may find
that the sound quality of your phone is not to your liking. ;-)

Its already digital and has been for years.
(8k 8 bit samples per second)

Not on the local loop.

What changes are going to be made to the local loop post 21CN
changeover?
--
Cheers

Peter
Old April 25th 08, 09:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WCZ

wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

"Howard Neil" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
DAB sounds worse than FM wrote:
The exchange I'm on has got a WBC 21CN activation date of next
Wednesday.

Should I expect the earth to move?

If you believe that analogue sounds better than digital, you may
find that the sound quality of your phone is not to your liking.
;-)

Its already digital and has been for years.
(8k 8 bit samples per second)

Not on the local loop.

What changes are going to be made to the local loop post 21CN
changeover?

Nothing unfortunately. It's copper all the way to your house.

--

WCZ

Old April 25th 08, 09:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterT

wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

"Howard Neil" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
DAB sounds worse than FM wrote:
The exchange I'm on has got a WBC 21CN activation date of next
Wednesday.

Should I expect the earth to move?

If you believe that analogue sounds better than digital, you may
find that the sound quality of your phone is not to your liking.
;-)

Its already digital and has been for years.
(8k 8 bit samples per second)

Not on the local loop.

What changes are going to be made to the local loop post 21CN
changeover?

Nothing unfortunately. It's copper all the way to your house.

Yes, the question was rhetorical - I'm interested to see what changes
Howard Neil expects to be made to it to make it a "digital" local
loop!!-)
--
Cheers

Peter
Old April 25th 08, 11:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterW

Howard Neil wrote in
news:[email protected]:

DAB sounds worse than FM wrote:
The exchange I'm on has got a WBC 21CN activation date of next
Wednesday.

Should I expect the earth to move?

If you believe that analogue sounds better than digital, you may find
that the sound quality of your phone is not to your liking. ;-)

Hasn't the whole network been using G.711a (64k) on all calls since
System-X came in. The conversion is in the line card for your loop (or at
you local site if you have ISDN2e (or indeed VoIP).

Why should the local loop sound different unless they are compressing with
a low MoS algorithm?

Regards
Peter
Old April 25th 08, 12:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Howard Neil

PeterW wrote:
Howard Neil wrote in
news:[email protected]:

DAB sounds worse than FM wrote:
The exchange I'm on has got a WBC 21CN activation date of next
Wednesday.

Should I expect the earth to move?

If you believe that analogue sounds better than digital, you may find
that the sound quality of your phone is not to your liking. ;-)

Hasn't the whole network been using G.711a (64k) on all calls since
System-X came in. The conversion is in the line card for your loop (or at
you local site if you have ISDN2e (or indeed VoIP).

Why should the local loop sound different unless they are compressing with
a low MoS algorithm?

It was an attempt at humour, given the OP's sig.

--
Howard Neil
Old April 25th 08, 01:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

[email protected] wrote:

"Howard Neil" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
DAB sounds worse than FM wrote:
The exchange I'm on has got a WBC 21CN activation date of next
Wednesday.

Should I expect the earth to move?

If you believe that analogue sounds better than digital, you may find
that the sound quality of your phone is not to your liking. ;-)

Its already digital and has been for years.
(8k 8 bit samples per second)

Not on the local loop.

Yes if you had Highway and an ISDN phone - much better than analog!

One could even double up to improve quality (radio stations use to do this),
although I never bothered.

IIRC the last BT analog switch was retired in the early ninties.

--
Howard Neil