OT. Add wireless to wired network

Old April 24th 08, 07:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Invisible Man

Default OT. Add wireless to wired network

Bit off topic.

I have a wired network because of previous problems with wireless
interfering with TV digisenders and the long time for an old laptop to
connect via the WAP security.

It would be helpful to have wireless available from time to time for
Wii, Nokia N95 and other odd bits connection.

Can I simply connect a wireless router to one of the spare outputs from
my Netgear DG834 router and turn it on when required or is there a
cheaper/easier way of connecting? No great speeds would be required.

Alternatively I could get a new wireless modem router providing it is
possible to switch off the wireless when not required. This is probably
a more expensive option.

TIA for any advice
Old April 24th 08, 07:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Invisible Man" wrote in message
Bit off topic.

I have a wired network because of previous problems with wireless
interfering with TV digisenders and the long time for an old laptop to
connect via the WAP security.

It would be helpful to have wireless available from time to time for
Wii, Nokia N95 and other odd bits connection.

Can I simply connect a wireless router to one of the spare outputs
from my Netgear DG834 router and turn it on when required or is there
a cheaper/easier way of connecting? No great speeds would be required.

Alternatively I could get a new wireless modem router providing it is
possible to switch off the wireless when not required. This is
probably a more expensive option.

TIA for any advice

Better get an access point rather than a router or you may run into
network address translation (NAT) issues with two routers effectively in
series. An access point just passes radio to the main router.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old April 24th 08, 11:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

Invisible Man wrote:
Bit off topic.

FU's set to alt.internet.wireless where they know this stuff.

Can I simply connect a wireless router to one of the spare outputs from
my Netgear DG834 router and turn it on when required or is there a
cheaper/easier way of connecting? No great speeds would be required.

That will work fine. Remember to disable the DHCP server in the wireless
router, and ignore its WAN port.

Alternatively I could get a new wireless modem router providing it is
possible to switch off the wireless when not required. This is probably
a more expensive option.

Mhm, and when something goes wrong you'll have to replace the entire thing.
Old April 25th 08, 10:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterT

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 19:44:16 +0100, Invisible Man
wrote:

Bit off topic.

I have a wired network because of previous problems with wireless
interfering with TV digisenders and the long time for an old laptop to
connect via the WAP security.

It would be helpful to have wireless available from time to time for
Wii, Nokia N95 and other odd bits connection.

Can I simply connect a wireless router to one of the spare outputs from
my Netgear DG834 router and turn it on when required or is there a
cheaper/easier way of connecting? No great speeds would be required.

Alternatively I could get a new wireless modem router providing it is
possible to switch off the wireless when not required. This is probably
a more expensive option.

TIA for any advice

Could be just the thing you're looking for :-)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MESE:IT&ih=020
--
Cheers

Peter
Old April 25th 08, 02:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 18:52:58 +0000, Woody wrote:

Better get an access point rather than a router or you may run into
network address translation (NAT) issues with two routers effectively in
series. An access point just passes radio to the main router.

He won't have NAT issues if he uses the LAN ports rather than the WAN.
Wireless routers that NAT between their wireless interfaces and their LAN
interfaces are few and far between.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
14:05:13 up 60 days, 20:59, 4 users, load average: 0.10, 0.04, 0.02
Old April 25th 08, 06:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Invisible Man

Default OT. Add wireless to wired network THANKS

Woody wrote:
[...]

Thanks for everyone's advice. It will only be used from time to time for
peripheral mobile phones, Wii etc so I have gone for this one:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/132431

Once it arrives I will have to read the instructions on my various toys
to see which ones have wi-fi capability.

But first I will set up security. Lots of students around here and
regularly 3 networks show up on my phone. All got WEP. Previously I have
used WPA, hidden id and restricted macs. Not sure if this will all work
with mobile phone, wii etc but I will soon find out.
Old April 25th 08, 07:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

In ,
Invisible Man typed, for some strange,
unexplained reason:
: Bit off topic.
:
: I have a wired network because of previous problems with wireless
: interfering with TV digisenders and the long time for an old laptop to
: connect via the WAP security.
:
: It would be helpful to have wireless available from time to time for
: Wii, Nokia N95 and other odd bits connection.
:
: Can I simply connect a wireless router to one of the spare outputs
: from my Netgear DG834 router and turn it on when required or is there
: a cheaper/easier way of connecting? No great speeds would be required.
:
: Alternatively I could get a new wireless modem router providing it is
: possible to switch off the wireless when not required. This is
: probably a more expensive option.
:
: TIA for any advice

Don't add a second router, it's not necessary just to add wireless.

What you need is a Wireless Access Point, which is simply a box with one
or two stubby aerials and an ethernet socket. Plug it into your existing
network and switch it on and away you go. There may be some initial
configuration to set passwords etc. but it's a relatively painless process
in my experience, certainly a lot less hassle than setting up a full blown
router.

I use a Belkin FSD7130 but not sure if they're still available now, but
similar devices are around quite cheaply, don't pay more than 30 quid or
so.

Ivor

Old April 26th 08, 12:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

Ivor Jones wrote:

Don't add a second router, it's not necessary just to add wireless.

What you need is a Wireless Access Point,

Indeed. However WAPs are typically more expensive than routers these
days. Ecomomies of scale I suspect.