IP Address question

Old April 25th 08, 10:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterT

Default IP Address question

Hi,

I've just done a speed test at Speedtest.net and noticed that my IP
address has changed. This is the first change I'm aware of - my ISP
is Sky (Easynet) - can anyone tell me the reason for this change?

There appears to be no difference, my download speed is about norm -
6.7Mb/s, I'm just interested.

--
Cheers

Peter
Old April 25th 08, 10:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

After serious thinking PeterT wrote :
Hi,

I've just done a speed test at Speedtest.net and noticed that my IP
address has changed. This is the first change I'm aware of - my ISP
is Sky (Easynet) - can anyone tell me the reason for this change?

There appears to be no difference, my download speed is about norm -
6.7Mb/s, I'm just interested.

Sky's IP addresses are very very dynamic.

You will get a new one at least as often as you reboot the router.

Old April 25th 08, 10:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterT

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 10:46:00 +0100, Jono
wrote:

After serious thinking PeterT wrote :
Hi,

I've just done a speed test at Speedtest.net and noticed that my IP
address has changed. This is the first change I'm aware of - my ISP
is Sky (Easynet) - can anyone tell me the reason for this change?

There appears to be no difference, my download speed is about norm -
6.7Mb/s, I'm just interested.

Sky's IP addresses are very very dynamic.

You will get a new one at least as often as you reboot the router.

OK, thanks for the info. This change seems to have occured without me
re-booting ther router. In fact I can't remember the last time it was
rebooted,must be well over 6 months ago.
--
Cheers

Peter
Old April 25th 08, 10:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

PeterT was thinking very hard :
wrote:

After serious thinking PeterT wrote :
Hi,

I've just done a speed test at Speedtest.net and noticed that my IP
address has changed. This is the first change I'm aware of - my ISP
is Sky (Easynet) - can anyone tell me the reason for this change?

There appears to be no difference, my download speed is about norm -
6.7Mb/s, I'm just interested.

Sky's IP addresses are very very dynamic.

You will get a new one at least as often as you reboot the router.

OK, thanks for the info. This change seems to have occured without me
re-booting ther router. In fact I can't remember the last time it was
rebooted,must be well over 6 months ago.

which was why I said "at least as often as you reboot the router"

I get a new IP address at least once a week from Sky

Old April 25th 08, 11:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
LSR

wrote:

After serious thinking PeterT wrote :
Hi,

I've just done a speed test at Speedtest.net and noticed that my IP
address has changed. This is the first change I'm aware of - my ISP
is Sky (Easynet) - can anyone tell me the reason for this change?

There appears to be no difference, my download speed is about norm -
6.7Mb/s, I'm just interested.

Sky's IP addresses are very very dynamic.

You will get a new one at least as often as you reboot the router.

OK, thanks for the info. This change seems to have occured without me
re-booting ther router. In fact I can't remember the last time it was
rebooted,must be well over 6 months ago.

If it's the Netgear router, it presumably rebooted automatically after Sky
pushed out the recent firmware upgrade.

--
LSR

Old April 25th 08, 11:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

If it's the Netgear router, it presumably rebooted automatically after Sky
pushed out the recent firmware upgrade.

Most routers show uptime since it was last rebooted, if there is a power
glitch in the night due to a thunderstorm or whatever the router may
reboot.

Old April 25th 08, 07:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
april

So Sky have some control of the router they give to their customers ?

suprised they can force a firmware update

must be severly customised

Old April 25th 08, 07:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

april brought next idea :
So Sky have some control of the router they give to their customers ?

Complete(ish) control. They are locked down to such a degree that one
cannot immediately discover the ADSL username & password.

suprised they can force a firmware update

Why?

must be severly customised

Only the ADSL set-up section is missing.

Old April 26th 08, 11:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

april wrote:
So Sky have some control of the router they give to their customers ?

suprised they can force a firmware update

BT also do it with their HomeHub - firmware updates are usually rolled out
overnight and "pushed" at the customer