leave BB router on or off ?

Old April 25th 08, 08:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default leave BB router on or off ?

surely its best to switch off as they run hot .
what power do they draw ?
6months left on ??
Old April 25th 08, 09:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

surely its best to switch off as they run hot

If you can stand it vertically, it may not get as hot.

what power do they draw ?

Sod all.

6months left on ??

Still next to sod all.
Old April 25th 08, 09:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Colin Wilson wrote:
surely its best to switch off as they run hot

If you can stand it vertically, it may not get as hot.

what power do they draw ?

Sod all.

6months left on ??

Still next to sod all.

Anyway, Ive just done some calcs: its slightly cheaper to heat my house
with nuclear electricity than oil anyway, so mine stay on as room
heaters ;-)

Old April 25th 08, 09:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

surely its best to switch off as they run hot .
what power do they draw ?

It usually says on a label somewhere, or in the manual,
or on the mfrs. website.
Typically 8 to 10 watts, a significant part of which
seems to be in the wallwart power supply, small
transformers aren't too efficient, and tend to run
a bit warm.
If I switch mine off, then on, it will restart at a
higher rate than before, but drops back again
to a lower BRAS after a few hours.
Old April 25th 08, 11:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mortimer

wrote in message

surely its best to switch off as they run hot .
what power do they draw ?

It usually says on a label somewhere, or in the manual,
or on the mfrs. website.
Typically 8 to 10 watts, a significant part of which
seems to be in the wallwart power supply, small
transformers aren't too efficient, and tend to run
a bit warm.
If I switch mine off, then on, it will restart at a
higher rate than before, but drops back again
to a lower BRAS after a few hours.

I bought a power meter, a thing that plugs into a wall socket and then you
plug a device into the meter. It shows that the power consumption of my
router's wall wart (and also my mobile phone charger) consume about 1 watt
with a power-factor of about 0.9 (so almost a pure resistive load). When
driving the device (router or mobile phone) the power increases slightly so
as to alternate between 1 and 2, though mainly still 1 watt.

I was pleasnatly surprised: I expected the router especially to use a lot
more power than that.