Mobile Broadband / 3G Broadband

Old April 26th 08, 02:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adam

Default Mobile Broadband / 3G Broadband

Here's a usefull website that compares 3G Broadband offerings from the major
UK providers. They compare download speeds, out of bundle charges etc:

http://www.nucleusnetworks.co.uk

Old April 26th 08, 07:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jon

In article ,
says...
Here's a usefull website that compares 3G Broadband offerings from the major
UK providers. They compare download speeds, out of bundle charges etc:

http://www.nucleusnetworks.co.uk

No sign of Orange? But plenty of spam I detect.
--
Regards
Jon
Old April 27th 08, 12:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adam

Orange will be added shortly, for both consumer and business products. If
you don't find the information useful, you don't have to visit it again.

Regards

Adam

"Jon" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

Old April 27th 08, 02:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"Adam" wrote in message
Orange will be added shortly, for both consumer and business products. If
you don't find the information useful, you don't have to visit it again.

Regards

Adam

"Jon" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
Here's a usefull website that compares 3G Broadband offerings from the
major
UK providers. They compare download speeds, out of bundle charges etc:

http://www.nucleusnetworks.co.uk

No sign of Orange? But plenty of spam I detect.

Not immediately clear whether any of these providers offer a static IP
address.

Does anybody know?

-- Graham J

Old April 27th 08, 05:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adam

Hi Graham, in general the IP's assigned are dynamic and some of them even
assign IP's on a private IP range. Vodafone can assign static IP's if you
have a large number of devices and opt for a private APN, but not on a
single device basis.

Here's a link to the IP and port page:

http://www.nucleusnetworks.co.uk/3g-broadband-ports.htm

Regards

Adam

"Graham J" wrote in message

"Adam" wrote in message
Orange will be added shortly, for both consumer and business products. If
you don't find the information useful, you don't have to visit it again.

Regards

Adam

"Jon" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

Old April 27th 08, 09:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"Adam" wrote in message
Hi Graham, in general the IP's assigned are dynamic and some of them even
assign IP's on a private IP range. Vodafone can assign static IP's if you
have a large number of devices and opt for a private APN, but not on a
single device basis.

Here's a link to the IP and port page:

http://www.nucleusnetworks.co.uk/3g-broadband-ports.htm

Regards

Adam

Not a lot of use, then ...

-- Graham J

Old April 28th 08, 09:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"Adam" wrote in message
Out of interest, what's the application that requires a static IP?

Adam

I use Draytek routers to provide a LAN-to-LAN VPN. This requires that at
least one endpoint, and ideally both, have static IPs. One can work around
it to some extent using DDNS

Also, where I set up routers for clients, I configure them to allow
management from the internet, but only from known IP addresses. Currently
this would be the IP address for my landline ADSL service. It would be nice
to have a mobile facilty for this, so the mobile would need to have a static
IP also.

While it probably isn't appropriate for mobile applications, mail delivery
by SMTP also requires a static IP address.

I'm looking specifically at applications where clients cannot get ADSL
because of distance from the BT exchange, or unwillingness of BT to install
lines. 3G would be an adequate solution, although in areas which are too
far from a BT exchange it is lilkey that the 3G coverage will actually be a
single GPRS channel giving only a few tens of kbits/sec; so not really any
better than dial-up.

-- Graham J

Old April 28th 08, 10:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adam

"Graham J" wrote in message

"Adam" wrote in message
Out of interest, what's the application that requires a static IP?

Adam

I use Draytek routers to provide a LAN-to-LAN VPN. This requires that at
least one endpoint, and ideally both, have static IPs. One can work
around it to some extent using DDNS

Do you use the Vigor 2910, with 3G failover?

Also, where I set up routers for clients, I configure them to allow
management from the internet, but only from known IP addresses. Currently
this would be the IP address for my landline ADSL service. It would be
nice to have a mobile facilty for this, so the mobile would need to have a
static IP also.

One solution could be to set up a public proxy server, with logon - and then
proxy through this to provide remote admin to the routers. As far as the
routers are concerned, they would be accessed by a known IP. A bit of hastle
to set up, but it would provide the security you require.

While it probably isn't appropriate for mobile applications, mail delivery
by SMTP also requires a static IP address.

A company such as this one may provide a solution to your SMTP problems,
although it's adding to costs and adding another layer to potential
problems.

http://www.changeip.com

I'm looking specifically at applications where clients cannot get ADSL
because of distance from the BT exchange, or unwillingness of BT to
install lines. 3G would be an adequate solution, although in areas which
are too far from a BT exchange it is lilkey that the 3G coverage will
actually be a single GPRS channel giving only a few tens of kbits/sec; so
not really any better than dial-up.

-- Graham J

Vodafone and Three have a 14-day returns policy and T-Mobile offers a 7-day
returns policy, so it would be possible to try and send back if the
connection speed or coverage is not good enough in the remote areas. There's
a link to the 3G coverage maps on the site, although I'm sure actual
coverage is not quite as good as they claim.

Adam

Old April 29th 08, 10:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adam

Hi Jon,

Orange 3G Broadband products have been added for both consumer and business.

Adam

"Jon" wrote in message
In article ,
says...