IP Profile - what is it?

Old April 26th 08, 07:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Brown

Default IP Profile - what is it?

Trying to fathom out why my connection is slow in comparison to my
neighbours?

When running speedtester.bt.com my test results show (next door neighbour's
numbers in brackets):-
IP Profile for your line = 1250kbps (2000)
DSL connection rate = 448 kbps upstream (448) and 1920kbps (2656) downstream
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was 1154kbps (1881)

What does IP Profile and DSL connection rate actually mean?
Can either of them vary dependent on my set-up?..or are they fixed and only
to do with the BT side of my connection.
If they can vary what can I do at my end to try and speed things up?
Thanks,
John
======

Old April 26th 08, 07:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alec

Go to : http://www.dslzoneuk.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=24

Select improve your speed.

Removing the unwanted wires improved mine.

Alec

Old April 26th 08, 08:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Alec

Alec wrote:
Go to : http://www.dslzoneuk.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=24

Select improve your speed.

Removing the unwanted wires improved mine.

It is something that should be looked at but there are numerous other
things to consider as well.

This site should explain things to you.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/index.htm

Peter Crosland

Old April 26th 08, 08:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 26-Apr-2008, "John Brown" wrote:

Can either of them vary dependent on my set-up?..or are they fixed and
only
to do with the BT side of my connection.
If they can vary what can I do at my end to try and speed things up?

A direct connection to your NTE5 test socket, or failing that one
with everything on the phones side disconnected will give the
fastest speed your line can sustain. Under these conditions
your modem/routers control panel should give Attnuation and
a Signal/Noise S/N ratio. Note these down. It should also
give your link speed, note this also.
Compare this with your neighbours control panel figures.
If your attenuation is higher, or S/N figure is lower, then that
accounts for your slower connection.
These are determined by the wires between you and the
exchange and outside your control.
Things you can do:-
If there is a long lead between you BT socket and your
modem, use twisted pair, not an extension phone lead or
cable, these are unlikely to be twisted pair.
Keep your modem lead as far as is practicable away
from mains wiring to reduce pickup.
Try to keep your modem/routers power supply
away from your modem/router.
Power cubes, mains wiring, power supplies, tend
to have electromagnetic fields, the signal on the
phone line is small, so not adding to the noise
helps.
Changing from BT quad, to twisted pair
and moving the PSU further from your modem/
router may up your speed to the next higher rate,
such as from 2848000 to 3136000 if your
line is just on the margin of the next higher rate.
If unplugging everything on the phones side
improves you speed then you need to improve
your phones side wiring and filtering.
You can't alter the wiring between you
and the exchange, you can try to avoid
degrading the small signal.
Old April 27th 08, 09:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Egan

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 19:35:20 +0100, "John Brown"
wrote:

When running speedtester.bt.com my test results show (next door neighbour's
numbers in brackets):-
IP Profile for your line = 1250kbps (2000)
DSL connection rate = 448 kbps upstream (448) and 1920kbps (2656) downstream
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was 1154kbps (1881)

What does IP Profile and DSL connection rate actually mean?
Can either of them vary dependent on my set-up?..or are they fixed and only
to do with the BT side of my connection.
If they can vary what can I do at my end to try and speed things up?

Look at the table at the bottom of this page.
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm

You can see that for a sync rate of 1920 the IP profile is 1500 and
not far short of moving into the next category up (1750)

The reason it is 1250 at the moment is because you will have had some
line noise or the like forcing a slower connection and although the
noise might only last for a few minutes, it can take up to a few days
after rebooting to restore the ip profile back to its normal value and
it might stay low for ages if you don't reboot the router or similarly
force a re-sync after such an event.

It's a cocktail of measures to try and speed things up like fiddling
with wires etc. as others have said. Also some modems/routers are
better than others. Check for router firmware upgrades. That can make
a big difference to both connection speed and stability.

Jim.

Old April 27th 08, 10:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Brown

wrote:

[...]

=============
Most useful info - thanks v much I now understand (I think) :-)

Old April 27th 08, 03:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jasper

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 09:31:53 +0100, James Egan
wrote:

It's a cocktail of measures to try and speed things up like fiddling
with wires etc. as others have said. Also some modems/routers are
better than others. Check for router firmware upgrades. That can make
a big difference to both connection speed and stability.

Jim.

That's true I had an IP profile of 2500 using a Vigor 2800 - this was
the rate for over a year. Draytek have just released a new adsl
firmware that they claim is tweaked for long / noisy lines and after a
week my IP profile is now showing as 3000

jasper