Internal wiring

Old April 27th 08, 02:04 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Doughboy

Default Internal wiring

I'm planning to get my BT line reactivated so that I get Broadband
from Be/O2.

There is a railway line almost right next to my exchange, but I'm only
263m from the exchange and the railway line (and bridge) is the other
side of it, so hopefully it won't interfere too much.

What I'm more concerned about is the fact that I've got a faceplate
marked GPO with a square rubber bung in the middle of it just inside
my front door (I'm on the first floor of a block of 12 flats), with a
cable running from that to an NTE5 BT socket in my living room. Is
this likely to affect my signal?

If BT say I have to pay a reconnection fee, would they evaluate this
setup and replace it if it's not suitable for ADSL2+, as part of that
fee or would I be just have to wait and see if it works and if not,
call BT and pay them extra to replace it?

Doughboy
Old April 27th 08, 02:44 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Zomaar

"Doughboy" wrote in message
I'm planning to get my BT line reactivated so that I get Broadband
from Be/O2.

There is a railway line almost right next to my exchange, but I'm only
263m from the exchange and the railway line (and bridge) is the other
side of it, so hopefully it won't interfere too much.

What I'm more concerned about is the fact that I've got a faceplate
marked GPO with a square rubber bung in the middle of it just inside
my front door (I'm on the first floor of a block of 12 flats), with a
cable running from that to an NTE5 BT socket in my living room. Is
this likely to affect my signal?

It's just an old faceplate from the days of hardwired 700 series
phones...just used as a blanking plate nowadays. Your pair will be
crimped/screwed through to the 6wire to your NTE5. If you remove this
faceplate, it won't be connected to anything.Cosmetic cover only,don't worry
about it

Old April 27th 08, 03:18 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Doughboy

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 01:44:13 +0100, "Zomaar" spammers can [email protected]
wrote:

"Doughboy" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Cool. Thanks for putting my mind at rest

Doughboy

Old April 27th 08, 11:12 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Flyer

"Doughboy" wrote in message
I'm planning to get my BT line reactivated so that I get Broadband
from Be/O2.

I have been looking at this idea too, but the thought of paying a years line
rental to BT, as well as any re-activation costs (currently been quoted
125) to transfer the line to BE is putting me off.

P.

Old April 27th 08, 12:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BC

Flyer wrote:
"Doughboy" wrote in message
I'm planning to get my BT line reactivated so that I get Broadband
from Be/O2.

I have been looking at this idea too, but the thought of paying a years line
rental to BT, as well as any re-activation costs (currently been quoted
125) to transfer the line to BE is putting me off.

P.

BT is reconnecting for 29.99 at the moment and you do not transfer your
line to BE in order to take their broadband service.
Old April 27th 08, 01:59 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Rob

"Doughboy" wrote in message
I'm planning to get my BT line reactivated so that I get Broadband
from Be/O2.

There is a railway line almost right next to my exchange, but I'm only
263m from the exchange and the railway line (and bridge) is the other
side of it, so hopefully it won't interfere too much.

Why would a railway line interfere with your phone! I live 50m from my
local exchange
and the maximum speed was 17449 down, but after two weeks it settled at
16000.
I would have the company check first to see what your line was capable of -
that is why
I didn't pay another 10 a month for "up to 24Mbps" as the maximum is 16Mbps
here.
The internet company were extremely accurate too.

Old April 27th 08, 03:36 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

Why would a railway line interfere with your phone!

In the OPs case it probably won't, but in principle
any electrical interference can certainly affect ADSL
which is a radio frequency signal.

Even the voice line can be affected in severe cases.

--
Graham

%Profound_observation%

Old April 27th 08, 05:00 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Graham. wrote:
Why would a railway line interfere with your phone!

In the OPs case it probably won't, but in principle
any electrical interference can certainly affect ADSL
which is a radio frequency signal.

Even the voice line can be affected in severe cases.

Overhead cables make great LW/MW aerials, and can trasnfer energy into
other nearby cables.

If teh line is equipped with overhheads it will affacte it, though hiow
and how much is a moot point.

Likewise third rail trains generate lots of arcs, especially in winter.

I used to be able to guage how cold it was as a lad, by looking out of
the window in the chilly dawn, at the lightning flashes from the trains
about 3/4 mile away.

Old April 27th 08, 06:06 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Doughboy

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 12:59:53 +0100, "Rob" wrote:

"Doughboy" wrote in message
.. .
I'm planning to get my BT line reactivated so that I get Broadband
from Be/O2.

There is a railway line almost right next to my exchange, but I'm only
263m from the exchange and the railway line (and bridge) is the other
side of it, so hopefully it won't interfere too much.

Why would a railway line interfere with your phone! I live 50m from my
local exchange
and the maximum speed was 17449 down, but after two weeks it settled at
16000.
I would have the company check first to see what your line was capable of -
that is why
I didn't pay another 10 a month for "up to 24Mbps" as the maximum is 16Mbps
here.
The internet company were extremely accurate too.

Just mentioned it because someone in another thread suggested it
might.

I can't do an accurate check until I get the line reconnected but I
used a nearby phone number which shows that full speed should be
obtainable.

Doughboy