Connecting to an ISP via a router from elsewhere in the internet

Old April 27th 08, 04:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark BR

Default Connecting to an ISP via a router from elsewhere in the internet

A little complicated but here goes.

I spend a lot of time in Thailand but have a broadband connection in the UK.
There are certain sites I can only connect to from a UK based ISP, so I can
not connect to them when I am in Thailand.

I know I can connect to my UK computer from Thailand (over the internet
using remote access or Orb etc) and then access the internet from the UK.
But that means leaving a computer running for months.

Are there any routers that I could use that I can connect to over the
internet and then use my UK broadband connection?

So from Thailand I give the IP of my router (as a proxy?), give a password
so only I have access and then when I request a web page from the computer
in Thailand it appears to come from the UK.

It does sound like it should be easy .................

--
Mark BR

Old April 27th 08, 09:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

"Mark BR" wrote in message
A little complicated but here goes.

I spend a lot of time in Thailand but have a broadband connection in the
UK. There are certain sites I can only connect to from a UK based ISP, so
I can not connect to them when I am in Thailand.

I know I can connect to my UK computer from Thailand (over the internet
using remote access or Orb etc) and then access the internet from the UK.
But that means leaving a computer running for months.

Are there any routers that I could use that I can connect to over the
internet and then use my UK broadband connection?

So from Thailand I give the IP of my router (as a proxy?), give a password
so only I have access and then when I request a web page from the computer
in Thailand it appears to come from the UK.

It does sound like it should be easy .................

No doubt, however there is no need to re-invent the wheel,
there are plenty of Proxy Servers out there on t'internet.
You just need to put the address and port in your Internet
settings.
Have a look at the UK ones here
http://www.samair.ru/proxy/type-19.htm
I just tried one at random 212.241.180.239 port 81 not very
fast, but a UK address.

--
Graham

%Profound_observation%

Old April 27th 08, 11:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

Mark BR formulated on Sunday :
A little complicated but here goes.

I spend a lot of time in Thailand but have a broadband connection in the UK.
There are certain sites I can only connect to from a UK based ISP, so I can
not connect to them when I am in Thailand.

I know I can connect to my UK computer from Thailand (over the internet using
remote access or Orb etc) and then access the internet from the UK. But that
means leaving a computer running for months.

Are there any routers that I could use that I can connect to over the
internet and then use my UK broadband connection?

So from Thailand I give the IP of my router (as a proxy?), give a password so
only I have access and then when I request a web page from the computer in
Thailand it appears to come from the UK.

It does sound like it should be easy .................

I do exactly that with a trust Linksys WRT54G-L - with DD-WRT firmware
installed.

Set up the VPN server part on the router, run Windows' VPN client
whilst your abroad & connect back to the router....job done.

Old April 27th 08, 12:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

Jono presented the following explanation :
[...]

I forgot to mention, the DD-WRT firmware also allows you to wake up a
PC remotely, if it supports WOL.

Old April 27th 08, 02:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark BR

"Graham." wrote in message

"Mark BR" wrote in message
[...]

Because it doesn't work - the connection has a whitelist of IP's used by UK
based ISP and unless I appear from one of those IP's then I can't get in.
Proxy servers don't work as they are not on the white list.

Thanks though ..........

--
Mark BR

Old April 27th 08, 03:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark BR

"Jono" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Looking at it that sounds the job, thanks I'll give it a try.

--
Mark BR

Old April 27th 08, 04:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Mark BR wrote:
"Graham." wrote in message
"Mark BR" wrote in message
[...]

Set one up that is, then.

Yuy need something like a friend with a fixed IP address UK broadband
connection, and a router that will do passthrough to the proxy port, and
an old PC running Linux and squid.

The conversation will be indistinguishable to the servers to someone on
that ISP making a web request.

Thanks though ..........

--
Mark BR

Old April 27th 08, 05:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
W F G

"Jono" wrote in message
. ..
Jono presented the following explanation :
Set up the VPN server part on the router, run Windows' VPN client whilst

your
abroad & connect back to the router....job done.

I forgot to mention, the DD-WRT firmware also allows you to wake up a
PC remotely, if it supports WOL.

Can the same be done with a DG834G using VPN? If so how, any sites giving
the info?

Thanks

Old April 27th 08, 06:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jon

In article , privateaddess66u8
@nothanks.00 says...

"Jono" wrote in message
. ..
Jono presented the following explanation :
Set up the VPN server part on the router, run Windows' VPN client whilst

your
abroad & connect back to the router....job done.

I forgot to mention, the DD-WRT firmware also allows you to wake up a
PC remotely, if it supports WOL.

Can the same be done with a DG834G using VPN? If so how, any sites giving
the info?

Set up the netgear VPN server with a username and password, and note the
WAN IP address, i.e. the external one.

On the remote machine (assuming XP) start network connections make
new connection network at my workplace VPN type in any friendly
name select "do not dial the initial connection" type in your
Netgear's WAN IP.

The first time you connect you will specify username and password that
you entered into the netgear.

It would be handy if you had a static IP for this, or a DDNS account
instead.
--
Regards
Jon