Phone call causes ADSL to drop out?

Old April 28th 08, 01:47 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Biggles

Default Phone call causes ADSL to drop out?

Has anyone had a similar problem to this:

Since BT OpenReach did some work outside of my house a couple of months
ago, my BB bandwidth has dropped from 5-6.5 Mb/s to 2-3 Mb/s, and as low
as 512Kb/s at times.

When making a phone call, the sound of the router negotiating can be
heard (sounds much like an analogue modem), albeit very feintly.

Making a phone call on the same line causes the ADSL link to drop. I
have two ADSL filters on different junction boxes and I get the same
result on both.

I'm just wondering if this is a known issue - i.e. BT cocking something
up which causes the phone to interfere with the BB. BT phone people say
they've checked the line and it's OK and to contact my ISP. However, I
want to be fully clued up before braving the script-driven Indian call
centre.

TIA
Biggles
(Remove packing from my address to e-mail me)
Old April 28th 08, 08:04 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Justin P

Biggles wrote:
Has anyone had a similar problem to this:

Since BT OpenReach did some work outside of my house a couple of months
ago, my BB bandwidth has dropped from 5-6.5 Mb/s to 2-3 Mb/s, and as low
as 512Kb/s at times.

Looks like they tired to squeeze more traffic to one line.

When making a phone call, the sound of the router negotiating can be
heard (sounds much like an analogue modem), albeit very feintly.

Thats strange, because ADSL splitter (in fact simple passive low-pass
filter) should filter out higher frequencies coming to phone from ADSL
modem.

Making a phone call on the same line causes the ADSL link to drop. I
have two ADSL filters on different junction boxes and I get the same
result on both.

I'm just wondering if this is a known issue - i.e. BT cocking something
up which causes the phone to interfere with the BB. BT phone people say
they've checked the line and it's OK and to contact my ISP.

From symptoms I would say that bandwidth used by ADSL modem and phone
line overlaps. I would be very skeptical about phone company changing
standard ADSL bandwidth to something other than 25.875 kHz.

What I would do:
1) Test if your splitter is OK. Go to a friends house and use @ his ADSL
line.
1.1) If you can hear *his* ADLS modem dialing - your splitter malfunctions.
1.2) If you can't hear his ADSL modem dialing - splitter is OK, *your*
ADSL model malfunctions and uses frequencies other than predefined.

I would bet for bad splitter.

Old April 28th 08, 11:50 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Biggles

"Justin P" wrote in message
. ..
Biggles wrote:
[...]

From symptoms I would say that bandwidth used by ADSL modem and phone
line overlaps. I would be very skeptical about phone company changing
standard ADSL bandwidth to something other than 25.875 kHz.

What I would do:
1) Test if your splitter is OK. Go to a friends house and use @ his ADSL
line.
1.1) If you can hear *his* ADLS modem dialing - your splitter
malfunctions.
1.2) If you can't hear his ADSL modem dialing - splitter is OK, *your*
ADSL model malfunctions and uses frequencies other than predefined.

I would bet for bad splitter.

Mmm, that's probably worth a go. But as I said I have two filters on
different junction boxes and I get the same results on both. I figure if the
symptoms suggest a bad splitter or signal problem then if both splitters
show the same symptoms it's a signal problem - and BT Openreach doing work
outside of my house sounds like *too* much of a coincidence.

Biggles