Compatibility problem between Belkin wireless card and Netgear Wireless N router?

Old April 28th 08, 09:19 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mortimer

Default Compatibility problem between Belkin wireless card and Netgear Wireless N router?

Are there known compatibility problems between Belkin Wireless G cards and
Netgear DG834N (note the "N") routers?

My sister is having a very strange problem with her network which is related
to one PC. From that PC she can reliably access the internet (web, email)
and she can ping other PCs on the network. But other PCs can only
intermittently ping that PC. All the PCs are connected by wireless to a
Netgear DG834N router. The affected PC is about 20 feet from the router with
direct line of sight and reports "Good" or "Excellent" signal strength.

My first thought was the Norton 360 firewall on the affected PC. But I
checked that the "trusted network" settings related to the correct MAC
address of the router, I tried disabling the firewall and I even uninstalled
Norton. All to no avail: I got intermittent ability to ping, which seemed to
be unrelated to whether the firewall was on, off or totally removed. Also,
the name resolution failed: at times when the PC was pingable from other
PCs, I could access shares by IP address but not by name (eg "net view
\\192.168.0.2" worked but "net view \\pc" failed with error 53 - name not
found).

Eventually I tried using an Ethernet connection from the affected PC to the
router - and everything worked perfectly, even after Norton was reinstalled.

Could there be some incompatibility between the Belkin PCI wireless card in
the PC and the Netgear router? Or is it just a faulty card? I'm not sure
what model of Belkin card it is and I'm not sure whether the router is
running in full Wireless N mode or Wireless B/G compatibility mode: I only
thought about this after I'd left them last night. Another thought occurred
to me: the problem may date back to when they changed from a Netgear DG834G
router to the DG834N because the former kept dropping its ADSL connection.

Old April 28th 08, 11:38 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article [email protected], Mortimer says...
Are there known compatibility problems between Belkin Wireless G cards and
Netgear DG834N (note the "N") routers?

My sister is having a very strange problem with her network which is related
to one PC. From that PC she can reliably access the internet (web, email)
and she can ping other PCs on the network. But other PCs can only
intermittently ping that PC. All the PCs are connected by wireless to a
Netgear DG834N router. The affected PC is about 20 feet from the router with
direct line of sight and reports "Good" or "Excellent" signal strength.

My first thought was the Norton 360 firewall on the affected PC.

It's Norton - it's always Norton.

--
Conor

looking good either. - Scott Adams
Old April 28th 08, 12:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mortimer

"Conor" wrote in message
In article [email protected], Mortimer says...
Are there known compatibility problems between Belkin Wireless G cards
and
Netgear DG834N (note the "N") routers?

My sister is having a very strange problem with her network which is
related
to one PC. From that PC she can reliably access the internet (web, email)
and she can ping other PCs on the network. But other PCs can only
intermittently ping that PC. All the PCs are connected by wireless to a
Netgear DG834N router. The affected PC is about 20 feet from the router
with
direct line of sight and reports "Good" or "Excellent" signal strength.

My first thought was the Norton 360 firewall on the affected PC.

It's Norton - it's always Norton.

Though evidently not in this case since I uninstalled it and then ran the
Norton removal tool. What turned intermittent working into 100% working was
changing from Belkin wireless card to Ethernet.

But I know what you mean about Norton. I used to advocate using it, but
since about Norton 2006 it's got worse and worse: more obscure to configure
(eg the firewall), less informative (on some versions I cannot find out the
expiry date of the virus subscriptions or the date of the current virus
definition version) and much much more bloated (despite what Norton may say,
you cannot run Norton 2007 or 360 with less than 512 MB RAM).