Sending e-mail via domain server using Be

Old April 30th 08, 08:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Doughboy

Default Sending e-mail via domain server using Be

Just wondering if I'm likely to have any problems using Eudora to send
e-mail on Be, using my recently bought domain's smtp server/reply
address?

Doughboy
Old April 30th 08, 09:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Al

"Doughboy" wrote in message
Just wondering if I'm likely to have any problems using Eudora to send
e-mail on Be, using my recently bought domain's smtp server/reply
address?

Doughboy

No problem at all I have found with my customers using Be*
I have 1st hand experience of this due to Be* SMTP falling over a few times
and using another SMTP such as mailhop from dynDNS.

Old April 30th 08, 09:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Toby

"Doughboy" wrote in message
Just wondering if I'm likely to have any problems using Eudora to send
e-mail on Be, using my recently bought domain's smtp server/reply
address?

Doughboy

I am on Be, and can connect to any outgoing SMTP server on de default port
(25) without problem!

Old May 1st 08, 07:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Doughboy

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 21:44:57 +0100, "Toby"
wrote:

"Doughboy" wrote in message
.. .
Just wondering if I'm likely to have any problems using Eudora to send
e-mail on Be, using my recently bought domain's smtp server/reply
address?

Doughboy

I am on Be, and can connect to any outgoing SMTP server on de default port
(25) without problem!

Excellent. Just wanted to be sure, rather than assuming and ending up
banging my head against the wall for not checking

Doughboy
Old May 1st 08, 09:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Doughboy

On Thu, 01 May 2008 18:33:28 GMT, Doughboy wrote:

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 21:44:57 +0100, "Toby"
wrote:

"Doughboy" wrote in message
. ..
Just wondering if I'm likely to have any problems using Eudora to send
e-mail on Be, using my recently bought domain's smtp server/reply
address?

Doughboy

I am on Be, and can connect to any outgoing SMTP server on de default port
(25) without problem!

Excellent. Just wanted to be sure, rather than assuming and ending up
banging my head against the wall for not checking

Doughboy

Hmm, just had this reply from Be, which seems to be saying that on Be
Value, I WON'T be able to do what I want, or have I misunderstood it?

"Thank you for contacting us. You can use any software for retrieving
or sending e-mail from your system. We do not block any ports on the
network, except port 25(for Be Values users). We have SMTP server that
you can use"

Doughboy
Old May 1st 08, 10:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Fraser

Doughboy wrote:
Hmm, just had this reply from Be, which seems to be saying that on Be
Value, I WON'T be able to do what I want, or have I misunderstood it?

"Thank you for contacting us. You can use any software for retrieving
or sending e-mail from your system. We do not block any ports on the
network, except port 25(for Be Values users). We have SMTP server that
you can use"

Looks that way to me, but what /exactly/ did you ask?

Depending on how their servers are configured, you may well be able to
send email using your domain name. The downside of course is that you
will be dependent on their servers, which Al notes have not been
entirely dependable.

Alex
Old May 2nd 08, 12:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Doughboy

On Thu, 01 May 2008 22:35:32 +0100, Alex Fraser
wrote:

Doughboy wrote:
Hmm, just had this reply from Be, which seems to be saying that on Be
Value, I WON'T be able to do what I want, or have I misunderstood it?

"Thank you for contacting us. You can use any software for retrieving
or sending e-mail from your system. We do not block any ports on the
network, except port 25(for Be Values users). We have SMTP server that
you can use"

Looks that way to me, but what /exactly/ did you ask?

Depending on how their servers are configured, you may well be able to
send email using your domain name. The downside of course is that you
will be dependent on their servers, which Al notes have not been
entirely dependable.

Alex

Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of the message I sent them as it
was done using the form on their website.

As far as I recall, it was along the lines of "Can I use an offline
e-mail program to send e-mail via your service, using my domains smtp
server and address settings?"

I think I'll have to see if 02 allow this.

Doughboy
Old May 2nd 08, 11:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Doughboy

wrote:

Doughboy wrote:
[...]

No, can't do this with 02 either:
http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-...ase,CASE=13357

So, if I understand correctly, with Be I can do what I want with Be
Unlimited or Be Pro or I can use the Be Value package and use their
(somewhat unreliable) SMTP server?

If I opt for the latter, (assuming I can send email using my domain
name) would it make any difference to me or the recipients of my
e-mails (when their server's working that is)?

I'll have to check with them about sending email via their servers
using my domain name, because if I can't even do that I'd be
completely stuffed (O2 make it clear you can do this on the page
linked to above).

Doughboy
Old May 2nd 08, 12:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Doughboy

wrote:

Doughboy wrote:
[...]

Will the fact that my e-mail provider (Heart Internet) allows me to
use port 587 to connect to their SMTP server make any difference?

Doughboy
Old May 2nd 08, 12:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 02/05/2008 in message
Doughboy wrote:

Will the fact that my e-mail provider (Heart Internet) allows me to
use port 587 to connect to their SMTP server make any difference?

Yes, that's the way round it. Set up a Heart account in Agent and set the
port to 587 and user/password authentication required.

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who do binary and those