Low IP Profile - Help

Old May 1st 08, 06:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Smith

Default Low IP Profile - Help

Bband playing up..ran the speedtester.bt.com and find:-
IP Profile is 135kbps
DSL 448kbps upload and 1856 download
Actual throughput 114kbps

I realise IP profile and actual throughput are v low..last week they we-
IP - 1250
DSL 448 and 1880
Actual 1158

Anyone advise what it all means?
Anyone advise what I should do to speed things up?
Thanks

Old May 1st 08, 07:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Egan

On Thu, 1 May 2008 18:30:56 +0100, "John Smith"
wrote:

Bband playing up..ran the speedtester.bt.com and find:-
IP Profile is 135kbps
DSL 448kbps upload and 1856 download
Actual throughput 114kbps

I realise IP profile and actual throughput are v low..last week they we-
IP - 1250
DSL 448 and 1880
Actual 1158

Anyone advise what it all means?
Anyone advise what I should do to speed things up?
Thanks

Read this thread from a few days ago

Jim.

Old May 1st 08, 07:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Anyone advise what it all means?
Anyone advise what I should do to speed things up?
Thanks

Looks like you could be on a long line.
Useful would be any figures from your routers control
panel, such as Attenuation and Signal Noise, SNR,
S/N ratio.
Your fastest speed attainable will be when your
router is plugged directly into the BT master socket,
with all phones and extension wiring disconnected.
If it is a long line problem then you could
try a router with a long, high loss line, flash.
If I use the UK2 flash instead of the standard
flash, I get a significant speed increase,
with higher reported S/N ratio, and lower
reported attenuation.
As far as I can deduce all the UK2 flash does
is increase the gain, since due to line length
there is little risk of overloading the front end.
If you assume a standard send level then
turning up the gain delivers more signal,
so the attenuation looks less. With
a bit more gain if the higher frequencies
aren't buried in the noise, you get
a bit better S/N ratio, and higher speed.
WRT wiring use twisted pair, it's not
a good idea to run modem/router wires
alongside mains wiring, also energy saing
bulbs have a two transistor switching
inverter which can generate noise.
Try to separate the routers PSU from
the router, both wallwart and cased
PSU's produce magnetic fields, which
you don't want near your routers PCB
that is handling very small signals.
Old May 1st 08, 09:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

John Smith wrote:

Bband playing up..ran the speedtester.bt.com and find:-
IP Profile is 135kbps
DSL 448kbps upload and 1856 download
Actual throughput 114kbps

I realise IP profile and actual throughput are v low..last week they we-
IP - 1250
DSL 448 and 1880
Actual 1158

Anyone advise what it all means?

It means something's not working as it should.

Anyone advise what I should do to speed things up?

Involve your ISP's techical support line and if they can't help get a decent
ISP.

Graham

Old May 2nd 08, 08:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WCZ

John Smith wrote:
Bband playing up..ran the speedtester.bt.com and find:-
IP Profile is 135kbps
DSL 448kbps upload and 1856 download
Actual throughput 114kbps

I realise IP profile and actual throughput are v low..last week they
we- IP - 1250
DSL 448 and 1880
Actual 1158

Anyone advise what it all means?
Anyone advise what I should do to speed things up?
Thanks

Have a look at your router logs. Id guess something caused your router to
resync with the exchange and you synced at a much lower rate. It should
automatically come back up within a few hours now you're back to your normal
sync rate.

--

WCZ