Wireless receiver - Recommendation please

Old May 1st 08, 07:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JC

Default Wireless receiver - Recommendation please

A friend is getting BT broadband on 9th May. Option 1 is now supplied with
the BT Home Hub, looking on their website it appears that it doesn't come
supplied with a wireless receiver. This will be required as the PC is a
desktop not located beside a phone point and installing an extra phone point
is not an option. Recommendations required as to what type would be most
suitable and give a decent range. I'd be up to fitting one of the PCI card
type if that was required. TIA.

--
JC

Old May 1st 08, 09:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

JC wrote:
A friend is getting BT broadband on 9th May. Option 1 is now supplied
with the BT Home Hub, looking on their website it appears that it
doesn't come supplied with a wireless receiver. This will be required
as the PC is a desktop not located beside a phone point and
installing an extra phone point is not an option. Recommendations
required as to what type would be most suitable and give a decent
range. I'd be up to fitting one of the PCI card type if that was
required. TIA.

Not used any PCI types but my next-door neighbour uses a Linksys USB adapter
and reckons it's brilliant http://www.ebuyer.com/product/127031

John

Old May 1st 08, 10:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adam

Stay clear of the Belkin USB Wireless G (P/N F5D7050uk) as the version 3
hardware versions fail to load on XP properly, despite there being a
knowledgebase article on the Belkin website about it.

Adam

news:[email protected]

Old May 1st 08, 10:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mister Ed

"JC" [email protected] (Spam Trap) yahoo.com wrote in message
news:[email protected]

A friend is getting BT broadband on 9th May. Option 1 is now supplied with
the BT Home Hub, looking on their website it appears that it doesn't come
supplied with a wireless receiver. This will be required as the PC is a
desktop not located beside a phone point and installing an extra phone

point
is not an option. Recommendations required as to what type would be most
suitable and give a decent range. I'd be up to fitting one of the PCI card
type if that was required. TIA.

--
JC

We use these at our workplace. 18 of them.
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/132439 (Plexus)

Highly recommended an well priced too....

Old May 1st 08, 11:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Invalid

In message [email protected], JC
writes

A friend is getting BT broadband on 9th May. Option 1 is now supplied with
the BT Home Hub, looking on their website it appears that it doesn't come
supplied with a wireless receiver. This will be required as the PC is a
desktop not located beside a phone point and installing an extra phone point
is not an option. Recommendations required as to what type would be most
suitable and give a decent range. I'd be up to fitting one of the PCI card
type if that was required. TIA.

Would probably suggest a USB one rather than the PCI card. If there are
signal strength problems it's easy to put it on a short extension lead
and move it about (out from behind the PC - a metal box full of
interference) to improve the signal.

If you really have poor signal penetration there is always the option of
adding a Woktenna!!

http://www.exe64.com/mirror/wokfi/
--
Peter R Cook
Old May 1st 08, 11:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mister Ed

"Invalid" wrote in message
In message [email protected], JC
writes

Would probably suggest a USB one rather than the PCI card. If there are
signal strength problems it's easy to put it on a short extension lead
and move it about (out from behind the PC - a metal box full of
interference) to improve the signal.

I agree entirely and that is why we decided to use USB adapters rather than
a PCI card. PCI cards are stuck where the PC is located. A USB adapter can
be put anywhere in the vacinity where a signal is best. It also means you
dont tie up a balued PCI slot (which can be rare to find on many boards). By
far the signal issue is the main reason I decided to go to USB.

Old May 2nd 08, 12:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nigel Cliffe

JC wrote:
A friend is getting BT broadband on 9th May. Option 1 is now supplied
with the BT Home Hub, looking on their website it appears that it
doesn't come supplied with a wireless receiver. This will be required
as the PC is a desktop not located beside a phone point and
installing an extra phone point is not an option. Recommendations
required as to what type would be most suitable and give a decent
range. I'd be up to fitting one of the PCI card type if that was
required. TIA.

If a "decent range" is required, then I would be tempted to use a wired
connection.

Could you run some ethernet cable from router to PC ? Maximum run lengths
are huge.
Alternatively, I would consider "homeplug" solutions, which are about 50 at
Dabs and Solwise for middle performance.

If its a fairly short range and the walls are not too wireless hostile, then
the USB options mentioned elsewhere are fine.

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Old May 2nd 08, 10:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tweetie Pooh

"JC" [email protected] (Spam Trap) yahoo.com wrote in
news:[email protected]:

A friend is getting BT broadband on 9th May. Option 1 is now supplied
with the BT Home Hub, looking on their website it appears that it
doesn't come supplied with a wireless receiver. This will be required
as the PC is a desktop not located beside a phone point and installing
an extra phone point is not an option. Recommendations required as to
what type would be most suitable and give a decent range. I'd be up to
fitting one of the PCI card type if that was required. TIA.

I use a Belkin wireless bridge. This connects to the NIC via ethernet so
no drivers, can be sited away from the PC and with a switch can give you
multiple ports at the "remote" site. There are no 802.11n devices in the
UK yet though.

I like this solution as I can multiboot XP and Linux and don't need to
reconfigure, well only the NIC.
Old May 6th 08, 04:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ron Gibbs

"JC" [email protected] (Spam Trap) yahoo.com wrote in message
news:[email protected]

A friend is getting BT broadband on 9th May. Option 1 is now supplied with
the BT Home Hub, looking on their website it appears that it doesn't come
supplied with a wireless receiver. This will be required as the PC is a
desktop not located beside a phone point and installing an extra phone
point is not an option. Recommendations required as to what type would be
most suitable and give a decent range. I'd be up to fitting one of the PCI
card type if that was required. TIA.

--
JC

Check out HomePlug e.g. at www.solwise.co.uk. I used a wireless homeplug
which I can position anywhere in the house, and also get good wireless range
on top, but for a desktop you could save by using just ethernet
HomePlug.

Ron