Newsgroup messages not downloading.

Old May 3rd 08, 10:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DB.

Default Newsgroup messages not downloading.

I use Tesco broadband and Outlook Express and am subscribed to 12
newsgroups.
For fully 3 years clicking on "Synchronise Account" had downloaded
new messages to those ngs without problem, but since about mid-day on
June 30th "SA" has brought down no new messages. The Checking /
Downloading panel with its list of ngs appears and is run through, but
in each case I am told there are no new messages to download. That
account is called 'news.tesco.net'.

Baffled, I opened a second ng account (news.tesco.net [1]) and
subscribed to the same 12 ngs as before. When I click on "SA" using
this account all works perfectly, and (with this a/c) I am up-to-date
with messages.
It appears that my settings (right-click/properties/all four tabs)
for both these accounts are the same - yet one is OK, the other isn't.
Can anyone explain, please?

TIA of any reply.

--
DB.

Old May 3rd 08, 10:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

"DB." wrote in message
[...]

Tesco.net News group servers are not working.
See Tesco.net Home page click Server Status.

I'm having to use a different News Service to get this to you.
69.16.176.253

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group

Old May 3rd 08, 10:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DB.

"David" wrote in message

"DB." wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for your reply, David. But the account I set up about 12
hours ago *is* working ok - it's my 'old' one that still isn't working!

--
DB.

Old May 3rd 08, 11:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Someone

On 2008-05-03 10:52:06 +0100, "DB." said:

"David" wrote in message

"DB." wrote in message
[...]

Virginmedia have recently moved over to new servers and since they're
the same servers Tesco use they'll have moved over too. Each post has a
number and since these are different servers the posts all have
different numbers. So setting up a new account works or if you right
click a group in your old account choose properties then the local file
tab and then reset the group you'll probably find that works too.
I don't think the servers are down and the different Service David
seems to be using is the service that Tesco.net seems to point at.
Strange stuff.

Old May 3rd 08, 11:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

"DB." wrote in message

"David" wrote in message

"DB." wrote in message
[...]

Interesting, I have just tried to open a second account with the name as
yours but it will not find Host, Server.

I have looked at the Message Source of your message but not sure what all
the data means. can someone tell me DB is actually using Tesco.net.

( To get these messages out of mine to the NG I'm using 69.16.176.253 which
is Virgin Media. Tesco.net use VM, so assume the problem is with Tesco.net
that I have.)

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group

Old May 3rd 08, 11:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Someone

On 2008-05-03 11:26:19 +0100, "David" said:

"DB." wrote in message

"David" wrote in message

"DB." wrote in message
[...]

David,
Try from a command prompt typing
nslookup news.tesco.net

That should tell you the IP it's trying to use.

Old May 3rd 08, 11:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

"Someone" wrote in message
[...]

I too have just done a RESET and bingo I'm working again.
thanks
So this post if you are reading it worked.
Can you tell if it is same route os my 69.16.176.253 VM message?

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group

Old May 3rd 08, 12:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Someone

On 2008-05-03 11:51:12 +0100, "David" said:

"Someone" wrote in message
[...]

Yep looks the same from the headers. You should see a lot more groups
too if you reset your group list part of the reason for the switch was
to get access to a lot more stuff.

Old May 3rd 08, 03:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DB.

"David" wrote in message

"Someone" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, I too have done a RESET on each ng, and things are working
again. However I'm not sure that messages I'm posting to ngs using this
Tesconet a/c are reaching their destinations and this post is partly to
check whether this is so.

--
DB.

Old May 3rd 08, 03:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Someone

On 2008-05-03 15:31:07 +0100, "DB." said:

"David" wrote in message

"Someone" wrote in message
[...]

Well looking at the path header it certainly went through a lot servers
to get to the one I'm reading this on so I'd say it's probably working
fine.