Newbie wireless network question.

Old May 6th 08, 12:40 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John

Default Newbie wireless network question.

Hi everyone,

We have 4 PC's all connected wirelessly to a netgear DG834GT router and
my question is this: Is there a software program that will enable me to
tell what time each individual PC is used to assess the Internet during
a 24 hour period please?

Many thanks,
John.
Old May 6th 08, 07:18 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
LR

John wrote:
Hi everyone,

We have 4 PC's all connected wirelessly to a netgear DG834GT router and
my question is this: Is there a software program that will enable me to
tell what time each individual PC is used to assess the Internet during
a 24 hour period please?

Many thanks,
John.

Have you checked the "Security Logging" capabilities of the Netgear to
see if it will log the information you require?
Old May 6th 08, 10:10 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John

LR wrote:
John wrote:
Hi everyone,

We have 4 PC's all connected wirelessly to a netgear DG834GT router
and my question is this: Is there a software program that will enable
me to tell what time each individual PC is used to assess the Internet
during a 24 hour period please?

Many thanks,
John.

Have you checked the "Security Logging" capabilities of the Netgear to
see if it will log the information you require?

Looks like my router doesn't store that info, but many thanks for your help.

Regards,
John.
Old May 6th 08, 11:44 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Faisal

John wrote:
LR wrote:
John wrote:
Hi everyone,

We have 4 PC's all connected wirelessly to a netgear DG834GT router
and my question is this: Is there a software program that will enable
me to tell what time each individual PC is used to assess the
Internet during a 24 hour period please?

Many thanks,
John.

Have you checked the "Security Logging" capabilities of the Netgear to
see if it will log the information you require?

Looks like my router doesn't store that info, but many thanks for your
help.

Regards,
John.

Check this out might help you:
http://www.networkmagic.com/nmlp/linkshare.php
Old May 6th 08, 12:23 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John

Faisal wrote:

Check this out might help you:
http://www.networkmagic.com/nmlp/linkshare.php

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

John.
Old May 6th 08, 01:02 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bernard Peek

John wrote:
LR wrote:
John wrote:
Hi everyone,

We have 4 PC's all connected wirelessly to a netgear DG834GT router
and my question is this: Is there a software program that will enable
me to tell what time each individual PC is used to assess the
Internet during a 24 hour period please?

Many thanks,
John.

Have you checked the "Security Logging" capabilities of the Netgear to
see if it will log the information you require?

Looks like my router doesn't store that info, but many thanks for your
help.

If it's important to gather that information you can either replace the
router or add a proxy server to your network.

Old May 6th 08, 03:12 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John

Bernard Peek wrote:
John wrote:
LR wrote:
John wrote:
Hi everyone,

We have 4 PC's all connected wirelessly to a netgear DG834GT router
and my question is this: Is there a software program that will
enable me to tell what time each individual PC is used to assess the
Internet during a 24 hour period please?

Many thanks,
John.
Have you checked the "Security Logging" capabilities of the Netgear
to see if it will log the information you require?

Looks like my router doesn't store that info, but many thanks for your
help.

If it's important to gather that information you can either replace the
router or add a proxy server to your network.

Sorry Bernard, as a complete newbie to networking, I know nothing about
proxy servers I'm afraid.

John.
Old May 6th 08, 04:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
PeeGee

John wrote:
LR wrote:
John wrote:
Hi everyone,

We have 4 PC's all connected wirelessly to a netgear DG834GT router
and my question is this: Is there a software program that will enable
me to tell what time each individual PC is used to assess the
Internet during a 24 hour period please?

Many thanks,
John.

Have you checked the "Security Logging" capabilities of the Netgear to
see if it will log the information you require?

Looks like my router doesn't store that info, but many thanks for your
help.

Regards,
John.

Don't know if it can do what you need, but your modem/router under
"firewall rules" will log selected outbound and inbound services which
can be linked to single address or range as required. There is a drop
down list which includes HTTP, IRC, and FTP.

You may need to "fix" the addresses (either in the PC or under "LAN IP
Setup - Address Reservation") to identify the PC.

If you can find a utility to access a time-server when it starts up, you
could log NTP access (XP updates weekly).

HTH

--
PeeGee

The reply address is a spam trap. All mail is reported as spam.
to be removed from a computer easily."
Old May 6th 08, 06:13 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bernard Peek

John wrote:

Sorry Bernard, as a complete newbie to networking, I know nothing about
proxy servers I'm afraid.

In which case it's probably not the answer for you then. A proxy server
is a single PC through which all HTTP requests are routed. It's usually
used on large networks to control who can access the Internet, control
what sites they can reach, log the sites accessed and improve speed by
caching files.

Microsoft has ISA Server and for Linux there is Squid. Proxy servers
need careful setup and probably continuous tinkering. It would be an
unusual home network that needed one.

Old May 7th 08, 12:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John

PeeGee wrote:

Don't know if it can do what you need, but your modem/router under
"firewall rules" will log selected outbound and inbound services which
can be linked to single address or range as required. There is a drop
down list which includes HTTP, IRC, and FTP.

You may need to "fix" the addresses (either in the PC or under "LAN IP
Setup - Address Reservation") to identify the PC.

If you can find a utility to access a time-server when it starts up, you
could log NTP access (XP updates weekly).

HTH

Thanks for that PeeGee.

John.