Streaming Media Files without a PC

Old May 6th 08, 02:53 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John C

Default Streaming Media Files without a PC

Current set up includes a wireless network accessed by a Desktop PC and a
Laptop. Connected directly to the router is a Western Digital MyBookWorld
NAS Hard drive that can be accessed by any PC on the network.

Now the question - Does anyone know of a device that can play the audio
files on the external drive without the need to have a PC running the server
software? Much searching of the web suggests that a media player that can
access Shares directly should be able to do this but I can't find any
devices or confirm that this is possible.

Thanks

John C
--
Remove SPAMFREE to reply

Old May 6th 08, 03:12 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bernard Peek

John C wrote:
Current set up includes a wireless network accessed by a Desktop PC and a
Laptop. Connected directly to the router is a Western Digital MyBookWorld
NAS Hard drive that can be accessed by any PC on the network.

Now the question - Does anyone know of a device that can play the audio
files on the external drive without the need to have a PC running the server
software? Much searching of the web suggests that a media player that can
access Shares directly should be able to do this but I can't find any
devices or confirm that this is possible.

There are certainly NAS devices that include a media player, Maplin
stock them. I believe they also have a caddy that's sold without a disk
so that you can add your own.

Old May 6th 08, 03:23 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John C

"Bernard Peek" wrote in message
John C wrote:
Current set up includes a wireless network accessed by a Desktop PC and a
Laptop. Connected directly to the router is a Western Digital MyBookWorld
NAS Hard drive that can be accessed by any PC on the network.

Now the question - Does anyone know of a device that can play the audio
files on the external drive without the need to have a PC running the
server software? Much searching of the web suggests that a media player
that can access Shares directly should be able to do this but I can't
find any devices or confirm that this is possible.

There are certainly NAS devices that include a media player, Maplin stock
them. I believe they also have a caddy that's sold without a disk so that
you can add your own.

--

Thanks for that, but what I really wanted was a device that was capable of
connecting to the network and remotely accessing and controlling the

Thanks

John C

Old May 7th 08, 10:05 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
ric

John C wrote:
[...]

John C- Hide quoted text -

there's quite a few. KiSS/Netgear et al do them, as do many no-name
Maplin specials.
The *best* device for this IMHO is a humble original Xbox, with a
softmod and XBMC installed. Mine cost me about 40 quid and it knocks
all other media players into a cocked hat. DVD playback with
upscaling, internet radio, all video formats, music playback off
server/internet/PC etc.
Old May 7th 08, 12:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John C

John C wrote:
[...]

Luckily I have a Maplins opening near to home next week. I'll take a trip
there and see if I can find anything. Everytime I read the spec sheets I get
more confused! My NAS drive doesn't seem to have a media player and all the
spec sheets talk about accessing files on a PC running WMP.

The Netgear EVA 8000 seems to do the job but is for HD Video (and pricey)
and all I wanted was music.

Thanks

John C

Old May 10th 08, 10:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Newshound

there's quite a few. KiSS/Netgear et al do them, as do many no-name
Maplin specials.
The *best* device for this IMHO is a humble original Xbox, with a
softmod and XBMC installed. Mine cost me about 40 quid and it knocks
all other media players into a cocked hat. DVD playback with
upscaling, internet radio, all video formats, music playback off
server/internet/PC etc

Clever, I like it.

Being an old fart I don't do games but that sounds like a really neat way
to manage music, photos, and video on the home network. Any other advice on
what I should be looking for, or good links?

Steve

Old May 13th 08, 10:26 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
ric

On 10 May, 22:45, "newshound" wrote:
there's quite a few. *KiSS/Netgear et al do them, as do many no-name
Maplin specials.
The *best* device for this IMHO is a humble original Xbox, with a
softmod and XBMC installed. *Mine cost me about 40 quid and it knocks
all other media players into a cocked hat. *DVD playback with
upscaling, internet radio, all video formats, music playback off
server/internet/PC etc

Clever, I like it.

*Being an old fart I don't do games but that sounds like a really neat way
to manage music, photos, and video on the home network. Any other advice on
what I should be looking for, or good links?

Steve

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbmc for an overview, and http://xbmc.org/forum/
is a good place to start.
Have a look on youtube to see some walkthroughs of the interface, it's
bloody great.
Mine acts as my (region free and upscaling) DVD player, video and
audio player off my network shares, internet radio streamer, BBC
iPlayer client and also does fun stuff like lets you browse youtube.
There's millions of scripts that add extra functionality coming out
all the time - I've just started using a lovely little one that uses
wake-on-lan to wake up a remote server via the remote, for example.
If you get the component AV cable then you get optical audio out and
also 720p support with an HD TV.
The GUI's very living room friendly and if you have the DVD remote
it's perfect and passes the girlfriend test with flying colours.
It hooks up to allmusic.com reviews for anything you're listening to,
and it even integrates with last.fm.
Note that you need to have a "chipped" (either a hardware mod or more
usually a software mod to your xbox to let it run non-MS-signed code)
to start off with. It's not that hard doing it yourself or you can
usually find a local bloke to do it for you without too much trouble -
there are quite a few pre-modded xboxes running xbmc for sale on ebay,
as well...

Best gadget I've built, and probably best gadget I own, too...
Ric

Old May 13th 08, 11:36 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Newshound

Thanks, Ric, will check those links and look into it. I've just converted a
dead PC to Ubuntu and had been thinking to use that as a server (mainly for
backup, music and photos) but Xbox looks easier. Trouble is it will probably
get hijacked by the teenager unless I lock it down....

Old May 14th 08, 08:04 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
robert

newshound wrote:
Thanks, Ric, will check those links and look into it. I've just converted a
dead PC to Ubuntu and had been thinking to use that as a server (mainly for
backup, music and photos) but Xbox looks easier. Trouble is it will probably
get hijacked by the teenager unless I lock it down....

I was hoping to use an X-box as a Media-player and had even identified
one in our local charity shop - BUT the wife was not impressed by the
idea of the big black lump sitting under the TV even when I pointed out
that the DVD player would then be redundant.

Performance isnt everything !