ADSL "Modem only" devices

Old May 6th 08, 02:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Darren

Default ADSL "Modem only" devices

Currently on telewest cable broadband but moving to ADSL2+

The modem they provide give an ethernet output for which i can connect
any router i want, e.g. Apple airport base station.

Is this same scenario possible with an ADSL modem? I can only seem to
find ADSL modems with USB (Speedtouch), not ethernet.

Do I need to buy a new built in adsl modem router? this would be a
shame because i like my apple router for use with wireless itunes etc

TIA

Darren
Old May 6th 08, 03:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WCZ

Darren wrote:
Currently on telewest cable broadband but moving to ADSL2+

The modem they provide give an ethernet output for which i can connect
any router i want, e.g. Apple airport base station.

Is this same scenario possible with an ADSL modem? I can only seem to
find ADSL modems with USB (Speedtouch), not ethernet.

Do I need to buy a new built in adsl modem router? this would be a
shame because i like my apple router for use with wireless itunes etc

TIA

Darren

You can probably get them but I would just get a combined ADSL modem\router
and connect the airport to one of the LAN connections on the back of the
router.

You can get a decent Netgear (no wireless but you don't want that) for about
30-40 quid

--

WCZ

Old May 6th 08, 03:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
William

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/114157

--
WH
Old May 6th 08, 07:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

William wrote:
On 6 May, 14:52, Darren wrote:
Currently on telewest cable broadband but moving to ADSL2+

The modem they provide give an ethernet output for which i can connect
any router i want, e.g. Apple airport base station.

Is this same scenario possible with an ADSL modem? I can only seem to
find ADSL modems with USB (Speedtouch), not ethernet.

Do I need to buy a new built in adsl modem router? this would be a
shame because i like my apple router for use with wireless itunes etc

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/114157

I use a Cisco/Linksys AM200 for my ADSL2 connection. I quite like it, but then
my ADSL1 router was a Solwise 715 :-)

http://www.jbosolutions.co.uk/linksys-adsl-modem-am200-router-p-23503.html

--
Mark
Old May 6th 08, 08:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"Darren" wrote in message
Currently on telewest cable broadband but moving to ADSL2+

The modem they provide give an ethernet output for which i can connect
any router i want, e.g. Apple airport base station.

Is this same scenario possible with an ADSL modem? I can only seem to
find ADSL modems with USB (Speedtouch), not ethernet.

Do I need to buy a new built in adsl modem router? this would be a
shame because i like my apple router for use with wireless itunes etc

Just buy an ADSL modem such as:
http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor110.html

-- Graham J

Old May 7th 08, 05:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Guy Dawson

Graham J wrote:
"Darren" wrote in message
Currently on telewest cable broadband but moving to ADSL2+

The modem they provide give an ethernet output for which i can connect
any router i want, e.g. Apple airport base station.

Is this same scenario possible with an ADSL modem? I can only seem to
find ADSL modems with USB (Speedtouch), not ethernet.

Do I need to buy a new built in adsl modem router? this would be a
shame because i like my apple router for use with wireless itunes etc

Just buy an ADSL modem such as:
http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor110.html

I'm using the previous model - Vigor 100 - at home for my ADSL connection.
I have a SonicWall TZ150 VPN box connect to the Vigor 100 and my home
network behind the TZ150.

The Vigor 100 converts PPPoA to PPPoE and the SonicWall TZ150 handles
the login and receives the IP address from my ISP.

If you do use an ASDL modem you neet to make sure your router can
logon to your ISP using PPPoE.

Guy
Guy Dawson I.T. Operations Manager Crossflight Ltd