Options for Roaming Users

Old May 7th 08, 01:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TheScullster

Default Options for Roaming Users

Hi all

I am looking for advice on methods of Internet access for roaming laptop
users.
Specifically this may include a requirement for Skype type VOIP
connectivity.
These users will be travelling literally anywhere in the world and staying
for upto 6 months.
Likely destinations are Europe, Russia and former Russian countries.

So the question is.... what is the best, i. e. reasonable fast but cheap,
method for internet connection.
I have been looking at the Vodafone USB modem, but this has really high
(IMHO) tariffs anywhere outside the UK as shown at
http://online.vodafone.co.uk/dispatc...geID=BS_039 7
under the roaming abroad heading.

Are these the "going rates" for global internet access or are there
alternative solutions to all this?
How does this compare to using a mobile phone and internal modem?
Any globe trotters out there that can add their 2c?
The Vodafone offering has GPRS connectivity only in some areas useful to us.
Can anyone advise on speed of GPRS signal only for Internet access (as
opposed to latest 3G offering)?

Thanks in anticipation

Phil

Old May 7th 08, 03:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Davies

TheScullster wrote:
I am looking for advice on methods of Internet access for roaming laptop
users.

So the question is.... what is the best, i. e. reasonable fast but cheap,
method for internet connection.

The cheapest way I've found (apart from freeloading at coffee shops) is
to pay 15 euros to the current hotel and use their wireless. 3G/GRPS
roaming costs are extortionate.

How does this compare to using a mobile phone and internal modem?

It's the same difference
Chris
Old May 7th 08, 04:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Maurice Batey

On Wed, 07 May 2008 13:45:38 +0100, TheScullster wrote:

Likely destinations are Europe,

Many of the Logis de France chain of hotels provide free WiFi.

--
/\/\aurice
Linux Mandriva 2.6.22.18-desktop-1mdv 2008.0 PP

Old May 7th 08, 05:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Terry

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi all

I am looking for advice on methods of Internet access for roaming laptop
users.
Specifically this may include a requirement for Skype type VOIP
connectivity.

Umm.. How about a recent unlocked Nokia with USB lead
and the latest Nokia PC suite?
e.g. Nokia 6120

If you can find the equivalent local sim to say UKs 3 PAYT data deals
in which ever country you are in?

PC suite will give you a one button connect to that network
without you having to work out the settings.

You'll have to find out local knowledge of the what deals are available

Data roaming with a UK Sim is intentionally horrendously expensive

Steve Terry

Old May 7th 08, 05:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

[...]

The hotels I use in UK and Spain Wi-Fi is free to those staying at the
Hotel.
All McDonalds in UK have free Wi-Fi.

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group

Old May 7th 08, 06:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

In news Maurice Batey typed, for some strange,
unexplained reason:
: On Wed, 07 May 2008 13:45:38 +0100, TheScullster wrote:
:
: Likely destinations are Europe,
:
: Many of the Logis de France chain of hotels provide free WiFi.

Indeed. I just use X-Pro on my laptop and access my Sipgate & Gradwell
accounts as if I were at home. Dead easy and reasonable call quality as
well.

Ivor

Old May 7th 08, 06:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

In ,
David typed, for some strange, unexplained reason:

[snip]

: The hotels I use in UK and Spain Wi-Fi is free to those staying at the
: Hotel.
: All McDonalds in UK have free Wi-Fi.

How far outside the premises can you get a signal..? I wouldn't enter a
McDonalds establishment if my life depended on it. Actually I think my
life expectancy is increased by not entering.

Ivor

Old May 7th 08, 06:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
In ,
David typed, for some strange, unexplained reason:

[snip]

: The hotels I use in UK and Spain Wi-Fi is free to those staying at the
: Hotel.
: All McDonalds in UK have free Wi-Fi.

How far outside the premises can you get a signal..? I wouldn't enter a
McDonalds establishment if my life depended on it. Actually I think my
life expectancy is increased by not entering.

I was parked outside in carpark

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group

Old May 8th 08, 09:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Chris Davies wrote:

TheScullster wrote:
I am looking for advice on methods of Internet access for roaming laptop
users.

So the question is.... what is the best, i. e. reasonable fast but cheap,
method for internet connection.

The cheapest way I've found (apart from freeloading at coffee shops) is
to pay 15 euros to the current hotel and use their wireless. 3G/GRPS
roaming costs are extortionate.

How does this compare to using a mobile phone and internal modem?

It's the same difference
Chris

As a pilot who needs to get weather etc data while on longer trips, I
come across this problem.

The 'problem' is that there are deals for regular heavy data users
(contracts with essentially unlimited non-roaming data and perhaps a
few hundred MB / month while roaming) but there are no deals for
intermittent heavy data users. The latter group will waste money
massively if signing up on a contract.

I use PAYG GPRS/3G, normally Virgin which is 5/MB everywhere,
sometimes Vodafone as they don't block the PPTP VPN ports. And I could
spend 50 on one trip just for the data cost.

WIFI is the best option of course, if you can get it. It would almost
pay to carry a directional (parabolic) antenna I am sure many
people do that in the UK, in their own home; use somebody else's wifi.

Old May 8th 08, 09:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

wrote in message
I am sure many
people do that in the UK, in their own home; use somebody else's wifi.

Didn't 2 people recently doing that get find 1000 each for stealing?

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group