Lazy microfilter question

Old May 7th 08, 09:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Lazy microfilter question

Just to clarify, I'm being lazy, not the microfilter.

I just need to ask if I have a reasonable set up to my Wireless Modem
Router.........

The main BT box is located near my front door, but I need the modem to
be located in the middle room downstairs or the signal strength is low
in the rooms at the back of the house upstairs.

So I am using a telephone extension cable from the main box to where
the router is. The microfilter is on the end of the extension cable
(not at the main box) because the cable to connect the modem to the
microfilter is only 1 metre long.

Everything works fine set up like this but the connection seems a bit
slow.

So have I done this wrong and if so does anyone have any suggestion on
how to improve?

Thanks

GRRR
Old May 7th 08, 10:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mortimer

wrote in message
Just to clarify, I'm being lazy, not the microfilter.

I just need to ask if I have a reasonable set up to my Wireless Modem
Router.........

The main BT box is located near my front door, but I need the modem to
be located in the middle room downstairs or the signal strength is low
in the rooms at the back of the house upstairs.

So I am using a telephone extension cable from the main box to where
the router is. The microfilter is on the end of the extension cable
(not at the main box) because the cable to connect the modem to the
microfilter is only 1 metre long.

Everything works fine set up like this but the connection seems a bit
slow.

So have I done this wrong and if so does anyone have any suggestion on
how to improve?

I suggest the first thing you try, if you can move the PC, is to temporarily
put the modem by the main socket, having disconnected the extension cable
and any other cables to other sockets if possible; in any case, disconnect
all other phones and their microfilters. Repeat you speed test (eg
downloading a large file) and see if it makes any difference. Also look at
the speed that is described in the "two computers" icon in the system tray
to the left of the clock - see how that speed varies with the position of
the router.

The speed for the modem next to the master socket will be the best speed
that you'll achieve, dependent on your distance from the exchange. This will
set in context the speed you are getting at the other end of the extension
cable, to show you how much improvement (if any) you could get.

Assuming that there is a difference between the master socket and extension
cable speeds... With the modem still at the master socket, plug in other
phones and extension lines one by one and repeat the speed test each time,
to see if one device causes significant reduction in speed. I found this to
be the case with one customer's setup: despite trying three different makes
of filter, one particular phone caused dramatic reduction in speed even
measured at the master socket. Luckily the customer didn;t use that phone,
only his various cordless phones, so he could manage without it.

I *think* that it shouldn't make any significant difference whether you put
the filter at the master socket (with the extension plugged into the
filter's *DSL* output, not its *phone* output) or whether you put the filter
at the far end of the cable as you have it, given that the DSL output of a
filter is a straight-through connection and it is only the phone output
which is filtered. Having said this, I have seen suggestions that the former
is better if the signal strength is a bit low. However most extension leads
have a BT plug at one end and a BT socket at the other, so plugging a BT
plug into an RJ11 DSL output socket of the filter and plugging an RJ11 plug
into a BT socket on the extension would require a couple of BT-RJ11
converters, one of each gender.

Old May 8th 08, 10:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeeGee

wrote:
[...]

As others intimated, you need to filter all non-ADSL connections -
whether at the master or at each individual socket.

Is you extension cable flat or round? The flat cable AIUI does not have
the required "twist" and can affect the speed, as a result.

--
PeeGee

The reply address is a spam trap. All mail is reported as spam.
to be removed from a computer easily."
Old May 8th 08, 11:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

At present all of the telephone line related gear (sky box and the
phone) is connected to the phone line connection on the microfilter.
As per the original post the microfilter is currently plugged into a
(5 metre) telephone extension cable rather than the main BT box.

So I take it it would make sense to:

- Connect the Microfilter at the main BT box (at the front door of my
home)
- Buy a new 5 meter RJ11 to RJ11 cable to connect the Modem Router
(sited half way into the house downstairs) to the ADSL output of the
filter.
- Connect the skybox and phone to the phone output on the filter using
a splitter

All I'm changing really is moving from an old flat standard telephone
extension cable to a long RJ11 to RJ11 cable. Assuming it was the old
cable that is potentially causing delays how can I be sure that the
new cable won't?

I will test at each stage per Mortimer's advice too.

Thanks all

Grr
Old May 8th 08, 05:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JohnW

, in article 01ff3452-29a8-4b0d-87e8-33eaf5169884
@y21g2000hsf.googlegroups.com, says...
[...]

Not "delays". More like noise pickup...

The best plan is to replace the master socket faceplate with a
faceplate filter, such as
http://www.adslnation.com/products/xte2005.php. If you don't
have a split-face master, then look at installing a new
filtered socket at the side of the old-style master and
removing ALL your house wiring to feed from this new socket.
These should only be the *one* incoming pair of wires
connected to the back of the master socket.

The objective is to split the telephony part of the incoming
signal off from the combined ADSL+telephony part as close to
the incoming BT cable as possible. Treat the ADSL+telephony
part as if it is a radio frequency distribution system (which
it is...) The telephony only part, that has gone through the
filter, can be run in ordinary telephony cabling with no more
filters needed.

With this set-up, you can extend the *unfiltered*
ADSL+telephony wire from the back of the new filtered
faceplate (the blue A&B connectors) using a twisted-pair cable
to an RJ11 socket near your computer. Alternatively, use a
twisted-pair RJ11 cable, plugged into the faceplate's ADSL
output, such as:
http://www.adslnation.com/phpapps/ca...duct_info.php?
cPath=21&products_id=117 (watch the wrap)

All your telephone-type gadgets go onto the filtered side,
either from the connectors on the back of the faceplate, using
normal telephone-type twisted pair (without connecting "pin
3", if you have modern phones that ring without needing this
wire) or from the BT-style socket on the front.

Never use an ordinary, flat telephone extension lead to carry
the ADSL signal to a remote ADSL modem. I've had problems on
a few sites with this picking up house-generated noise,
especially from round the back of a computer(!) and causing
problems for the ADSL signal.

--
JohnW.
Replace the obvious with co.uk in 2 places to mail me.
Old May 8th 08, 11:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

brightside S9 wrote:
On Thu, 8 May 2008 02:14:18 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

All I'm changing really is moving from an old flat
standard telephone extension cable to a long RJ11 to
RJ11 cable. Assuming it was the old cable that is
potentially causing delays how can I be sure that the
new cable won't?

Because you can use one of the Pro+ RJ 11 - RJ11 ADSL
2+ at
http://www.adslnation.com/phpapps/ca...l8si68ofkg 05
A 10 metre cable improved my synch speed. YMMV.

One of their SSFP & a 3 metre (yes they did use to supply 3
mtrs) cable added over 1/2Mbps. Still didn't cure the
constant dropouts I was experiencing whith SKY though (that
was after they got it working)