Anyone know the difference between a Speedtouch 585 v6 and v7?

Old May 9th 08, 08:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WCZ

Default Anyone know the difference between a Speedtouch 585 v6 and v7?

Other than the v7 appears to have been designed by Apple.

I'm currently throwing money at routers to see which one works best on my
long line. If they are the same internals Id prefer to get a v7. Providing
DMT Tool works with it!

--

WCZ

Old May 9th 08, 12:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"WCZ" wrote in message
Other than the v7 appears to have been designed by Apple.

I'm currently throwing money at routers to see which one works best on my
long line. If they are the same internals Id prefer to get a v7.
Providing DMT Tool works with it!

How long is the line?

If it's more than 8km I would be surprised if you can get any sort of ADSL
service ...

-- Graham J

Old May 9th 08, 01:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WCZ

Graham J wrote:
"WCZ" wrote in message
Other than the v7 appears to have been designed by Apple.

I'm currently throwing money at routers to see which one works best
on my long line. If they are the same internals Id prefer to get a
v7. Providing DMT Tool works with it!

How long is the line?

If it's more than 8km I would be surprised if you can get any sort of
ADSL service ...

-- Graham J

Its close to that. I get 1Mb at the moment. A 2Wire 2700 gives nearly
1.25Mb. My thinking is if I can tweak the SNR I should be able to get the
64kb I need to get into that 1.25 IP Profile. But for that I need an SNR
tweakable router and the 2Wire doesn't seem to allow it.

--

WCZ

Old May 9th 08, 02:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"WCZ" wrote in message
Graham J wrote:
"WCZ" wrote in message
Other than the v7 appears to have been designed by Apple.

I'm currently throwing money at routers to see which one works best
on my long line. If they are the same internals Id prefer to get a
v7. Providing DMT Tool works with it!

How long is the line?

If it's more than 8km I would be surprised if you can get any sort of
ADSL service ...

-- Graham J

Its close to that. I get 1Mb at the moment. A 2Wire 2700 gives nearly
1.25Mb. My thinking is if I can tweak the SNR I should be able to get the
64kb I need to get into that 1.25 IP Profile. But for that I need an SNR
tweakable router and the 2Wire doesn't seem to allow it.

Have you tried all the improvement options with your wiring &
microfilter(s) - see the many postings in this ng for details?

Who is your ISP? A technically competent ISP should be able to get BT to
optimise the phone wiring between your property and the BT exchange.

-- Graham J

Old May 9th 08, 02:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WCZ

Graham J wrote:
"WCZ" wrote in message
Graham J wrote:
"WCZ" wrote in message
Other than the v7 appears to have been designed by Apple.

I'm currently throwing money at routers to see which one works best
on my long line. If they are the same internals Id prefer to get a
v7. Providing DMT Tool works with it!

How long is the line?

If it's more than 8km I would be surprised if you can get any sort
of ADSL service ...

-- Graham J

Its close to that. I get 1Mb at the moment. A 2Wire 2700 gives
nearly 1.25Mb. My thinking is if I can tweak the SNR I should be able to
get the 64kb I need to get into that 1.25 IP Profile. But for that
I need an SNR tweakable router and the 2Wire doesn't seem to allow
it.

Have you tried all the improvement options with your wiring &
microfilter(s) - see the many postings in this ng for details?

More fiddling is on my list of things to do. At the moment my line is
gradually degrading and the sync will drop below 1Mb the next time I reboot
the router (this is on a Netgear DG834Gv3, I've not got the 2Wire fully
configured yet). I have an ADSLNation filter plugged into the test socket
at the moment so I'm not expecting any big gains to be found but the
degradation could be a slowly failing filter so I'll give it a go. I'm also
going to get a shielded RJ11 cable to replace the flat one.

Who is your ISP? A technically competent ISP should be able to get BT
to optimise the phone wiring between your property and the BT
exchange.
-- Graham J

ADSL24 which is Entanet. I've not approached them yet as I thought trying
to get BT to do what you say is next to impossible.

The issue with the line is that it takes the longest route possible to my
house. I'm 3km on foot from the exchange, a bit longer if you take the main
roads but when I asked a BT engineer a few years back he said it was over
7km in length. As you say, I'm amazed it works at all.

--

WCZ

Old May 9th 08, 04:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Have you tried all the improvement options with your wiring &
microfilter(s) - see the many postings in this ng for details?

More fiddling is on my list of things to do.

I've been working on optimising.
Putting the router next to the master socket is the first step
then you can use a 6 or 12 inch RJ11 to RJ11 lead (and
run CAT5 from the router - but how you distribute from the
router is up to you).
With a long line there is nothing you can do about the
local loop, all you can work on is the SNR.
Keep all things with magnetic fields, power cubes,
the PSU for the router, as far as possible from the router.
You don't want the wiring and small signal (across
the line) tranformers on
the routers PCB picking up induced noise.
The signal level at the higher end of the frequency
range is very small.
In the domestic environment low energy lamps have
a pair of transistors oscillating as a square wave
generator nicely into the frequency range just
above audio, hair dryers with their commutator
motors are also electrically noisy.
What can happen is you get a burst of noise,
your rate gets knocked back, and it takes
3 to 5 days before it gets raised again.
So eliminate anything that can act as an aerial.
Swapping different routers in and out seems
to force a retrain, so line may come back
at a higher, but sometimes short lived rate.
My BT router gives me a lot of information
about both upstream, and downstream
parameters, Dratek only gives downstream,
though its spectrum display is useful.
Draytek with UK2 long and difficult line flash
seems the most stable. All the UK2 flash
seems to do is up the gain, probaly because
on a long high loss line there is no chance
of overloading the front end. It seems to assume
a sending end level, so by upping the gain
it reports a lower attenuation (which ain't so,
atten is a line parameter) as well as a better
SNR which is probably true as lifting the gain
probably lifts the all important top end of the
HF signal above the noise.
You can chain filters, just make sure you plug
the RJ11 into the first one.
Don't load the phone side down with too high
a REN, lowering the impedance on the phones
side seems to affect the ADSL side.
Old May 10th 08, 11:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"WCZ" wrote in message
Graham J wrote:
"WCZ" wrote in message
Graham J wrote:
"WCZ" wrote in message
[...]

It's not impossible at all. But you do need a competent ISP. I've no
experience with Entanet so can't coment ...

-- Graham J

Old May 10th 08, 04:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WCZ

"Graham J" wrote in message

"WCZ" wrote in message
Graham J wrote:
"WCZ" wrote in message
Graham J wrote:
"WCZ" wrote in message
[...]

Who would you recommend for looking at this kind of thing? I'm only on a 1
month contract with ADSL24 so can easily move.

--

WCZ

Old May 10th 08, 10:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Warby

On 10 May, 11:47, "Graham J" wrote:

ADSL24 which is Entanet. *I've not approached them yet as I thought trying
to get BT to do what you say is next to impossible.

It's not impossible at all. *But you do need a competent ISP. *I've no
experience with Entanet so can't coment ...

-- Graham J

Well I use Entanet for both my home,my business and some of my
customers (I use them for difficult installs) and find them to have
very good support (in the provisioning area at least).

But I would be reluctant to ask them (or any other ISP),to request BT
wholesale/openreach look into a matter like this. I would imagine that
BT would be rather reluctant to go on what's basically a line tweaking
exercise at probably quite a considerable expense,in order to increase
a end users speed when the end user was already getting 1MB. From the
end users point of view they may also find themselves lumped with a
engineers bill.

Good luck to the OP in increasing your connection speed,I'm still on
512K (was Exchange Activate),waiting for BTs ordering systems to
update (exchange is now full build) so my regrades can go through
(Enta place the order, BT reject it,BT are giving Enta the run around)

Martin
Old May 11th 08, 06:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve B

"WCZ" wrote in message

"Graham J" wrote in message

"WCZ" wrote in message
Graham J wrote:
"WCZ" wrote in message
Graham J wrote:
"WCZ" wrote in message
[...]

I'm with UKFSN, another Entanet reseller like ADSL24. I had lots of noisy
line problems after joining UKFSN due to automatically being upgraded from
2Mbs (Nildram) to 8Mbs. UKFSN sorted out a BT engineer visit no problem,
but I really do think it all depends on how good an engineer you get, the
one I was lucky enough to get spent ages sorting it all out mainly by
finding a spare line pair with good SNR.