talktalk Huawei modem

Old May 11th 08, 09:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
andrew

Default talktalk Huawei modem

Is there any known issue with these modems? This one came with the username
and password pre programmed and initially worked "out of the box", it now
resets to factory defaults with username "guest" when switched off.

I re installed the password and saved the settings but it has lost them
again on power off.

I'll leave it on for a while to see what happens.

AJH
Old May 11th 08, 11:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Is there any known issue with these modems? This one came with the
username
and password pre programmed and initially worked "out of the box", it now
resets to factory defaults with username "guest" when switched off.

I re installed the password and saved the settings but it has lost them
again on power off.

As it arrived in a switched off state, if it can't remember its username
and password, which most modems can, then something has
changed. Remembering username and password is an
essential feature, which is why it is the usual default behaviour,
some people switch off their router overnight, and power outages
are not uncommon. To reset to factory usually entails finding
a hole, and pushing something through it to operate a switch.
I suspect a coin cell like used for BIOS retention and RTC.
How old is it, did it do if from day one, have you had a look
inside for a coin cell?
Old May 12th 08, 01:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

andrew wrote:

Is there any known issue with these modems? This one came with the username
and password pre programmed and initially worked "out of the box", it now
resets to factory defaults with username "guest" when switched off.

I re installed the password and saved the settings but it has lost them
again on power off.

Saved to flash memory ?

Graham

Old May 12th 08, 07:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

Eeyore laid this down on his screen :

andrew wrote:

Is there any known issue with these modems? This one came with the username
and password pre programmed and initially worked "out of the box", it now
resets to factory defaults with username "guest" when switched off.

I re installed the password and saved the settings but it has lost them
again on power off.

Saved to flash memory ?

It's the software application on the connected PC that remembers the
connection settings, not the device itself.....

Old May 12th 08, 07:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AJH

On Mon, 12 May 2008 01:57:08 +0100, Eeyore
wrote:

I re installed the password and saved the settings but it has lost them
again on power off.

Saved to flash memory ?

Talktalk send out the modem pre configured with username and password,
so it was just plug and play. It ran fine for about a week. It belongs
to an old friend some 40 miles from me, so I only checked it out this
weekend and found the username and password had changed to "guest"
and ****, which I assume is the factory default. This could only
happen if someone stuck a pin in the reset hole or the memory is
faulty, I think.

So having re entered the username and password and saved it to flash,
it has gone down again (I'm not there to check but adsl is in sync and
it returns error message that a website (bbc.co.uk) cannot be found.
So I think the same thing has happened again.

That is why I asked if these modems were known for this fault. I've
not used many cable or adsl modems, probably about 10 but this is the
first one I have known to lose its settings on powering down, or
possibly failing to save them to flash.

AJH
Old May 12th 08, 08:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

andrew wrote:

Is there any known issue with these modems? This one came with the
username and password pre programmed and initially worked "out of
the box", it now resets to factory defaults with username "guest"
when switched off. I re installed the password and saved the settings
but it has lost
them again on power off.

Saved to flash memory ?

It's the software application on the connected PC that remembers the
connection settings, not the device itself.....

What software application? I think you're probably thinking of a wireless
adapter here. My next-door neighbour asked me to set up their TalkTalk
broadband just a couple of days ago and it was one of these modems - just
took it out of the box, connected to telephone line and computer (ethernet)
and all was well.

John

Old May 12th 08, 08:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

That is why I asked if these modems were known for this fault. I've
not used many cable or adsl modems, probably about 10 but this is the
first one I have known to lose its settings on powering down, or
possibly failing to save them to flash.

Modems aren't exactly expensive, especially on eBay. Depending
on his distance from the exchange and normal sync rate, a plain
ADSL modem for 10 to 12 quid s/h on eBay should suffice.
A coin cell holding up the flash memory is worth looking for,
have it apart, it sounds fooked anyway, so you have nothing
to lose.
Check first if TT have an exchange scheme, since they supplied it.
Also brouse the support forum
http://www.expansys-usa.com/f.aspx?i=141528
plenty of stuff there.
Or just Google for huawei modem.
Old May 12th 08, 08:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

John pretended :

andrew wrote:

Is there any known issue with these modems? This one came with the
username and password pre programmed and initially worked "out of
the box", it now resets to factory defaults with username "guest"
when switched off. I re installed the password and saved the settings but
it has lost
them again on power off.

Saved to flash memory ?

It's the software application on the connected PC that remembers the
connection settings, not the device itself.....

What software application? I think you're probably thinking of a wireless
adapter here. My next-door neighbour asked me to set up their TalkTalk
broadband just a couple of days ago and it was one of these modems - just
took it out of the box, connected to telephone line and computer (ethernet)
and all was well.

Actually, I thought I was in uk.t.m and that the OP was asking about
the Huwawei 3G USB modem. :-)

Old May 12th 08, 09:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

(supersedes )

John pretended :

andrew wrote:

[...]

the Huawei 3G USB modem. :-)

Old May 13th 08, 01:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Zerafa

Hi,

If this is the Huawei SmartAX MT882 device then use the Ethernet connector
as this will then act more like a single port router. Do not use the USB
port.

The default IP address is 192.168.1.1 and the username / password for the
login is admin/admin

I believe (working from memory) that you need to do an explcit save when you
update the router settings or they may not be saved. These will not then
survive a reboot.

Check that the device firewall is enabled (and that NAT is switched on) for
best security. Earler versions of this device did NOT have these features
enabled by default.

These devices are a little wierd but they do seem to work. I would not use
one myself, I would stick to something more standard but free is free I
guess :-)

Kind Regards

Simon