How to avoid exceeding data limit on 3 UK?

Old May 12th 08, 05:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
techpro

Default How to avoid exceeding data limit on 3 UK?

I purchased a 3G USB modem from 3 UK. Since it is only intended for
emergency use when my ADSL goes down, or for use when away, I
subscribed only to the Broadband Lite 1GB/month tariff, which is only
5/month as I am an existing 3 account holder. However I understand
that I will be charged an arm and a leg if I exceed this usage by even
a small amount.

A blog posting I found suggested that it is possible to set a cap on
usage so that you can't exceed the limit, but 3 don't tell you how.
Does anyone know? In fact, how can you tell how much you have used?
The modem is not listed in my My 3 account.
Old May 12th 08, 07:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cork Soaker

A blog posting I found suggested that it is possible to set a cap on
usage so that you can't exceed the limit, but 3 don't tell you how.

Have you spoke to 3?

Does anyone know? In fact, how can you tell how much you have used?
The modem is not listed in my My 3 account.

Depends on what router you have.

Old May 12th 08, 07:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Jones

"Cork Soaker" wrote in message
A blog posting I found suggested that it is possible to set a cap on
usage so that you can't exceed the limit, but 3 don't tell you how.

Have you spoke to 3?

Does anyone know? In fact, how can you tell how much you have used?
The modem is not listed in my My 3 account.

Depends on what router you have.

Depends on what router you have the guy has 3g usb dongle why would he
need a router........... if your just using it for emergencies or whilst
away the best thing to do mate is google for a bandwith monitor or the like
there's plenty out and about that monitor how many mb your pc actually
recieves just use the software when your using the 3g dongle and it will
tell how much you have used. you could also use it at home for a few days
to get a rough idea of what your using daily

hope this helps

Andy

Old May 12th 08, 07:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cork Soaker

Well I can't quote any of that, it's a mess.

Why would he need a router? Well, why would he need a backup if it's not
for business? And if it is for business, who the hell would use a desktop
machine to route traffic?

If you're using a "USB dongle" (actually a modem) then your OS will tell you
exactly how much traffic has been flowing through the interface, but I
doubt you are.

Old May 13th 08, 06:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
techpro

On May 12, 7:56 pm, "Cork Soaker"
wrote:
Well I can't quote any of that, it's a mess.

Why would he need a router? Well, why would he need a backup if it's not
for business? And if it is for business, who the hell would use a desktop
machine to route traffic?

If you're using a "USB dongle" (actually a modem) then your OS will tell you
exactly how much traffic has been flowing through the interface, but I
doubt you are.

It is better to have the ISP monitor data usage than rely on software,
and better for them to switch off the account when you hit the limit
rather than send warnings that you may not see until it is too late.
You don't have to search far to find complaints from people who have
been charged for exceeding their limit who claim the software said
they were still within it. (That's one of the disadvantages of 3, who
have the most expensive charges for exceeding the limit. T-Mobile will
give you three warnings but won't charge you if you go over the limit
by a bit.)

Plus, a software monitor will only record data transferred on that
computer. If you use the dongle on different computers, no software
monitor will record the total data that has been transferred.

Old May 13th 08, 09:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cork Soaker

: It is better to have the ISP monitor data usage than rely on software,
: and better for them to switch off the account when you hit the limit
: rather than send warnings that you may not see until it is too late.
: You don't have to search far to find complaints from people who have
: been charged for exceeding their limit who claim the software said
: they were still within it. (That's one of the disadvantages of 3, who
: have the most expensive charges for exceeding the limit. T-Mobile will
: give you three warnings but won't charge you if you go over the limit
: by a bit.)

I don't understand it though, I thought 3 was the best when it came out.
I've never actually had anything to do with them.
They offer streaming TV don't they? That should easily break monthly
limits!

I dunno..... :-s

Old May 15th 08, 11:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gizmo.

"Cork Soaker" wrote in message

: It is better to have the ISP monitor data usage than rely on software,
: and better for them to switch off the account when you hit the limit
: rather than send warnings that you may not see until it is too late.
: You don't have to search far to find complaints from people who have
: been charged for exceeding their limit who claim the software said
: they were still within it. (That's one of the disadvantages of 3, who
: have the most expensive charges for exceeding the limit. T-Mobile will
: give you three warnings but won't charge you if you go over the limit
: by a bit.)

I don't understand it though, I thought 3 was the best when it came out.

You are kidding, right ?

I've never actually had anything to do with them.
They offer streaming TV don't they? That should easily break monthly
limits!

Mobile TV will use up your monthly limit in absolutely no time. Or at least
it would if it:
1. Didnt drain your battery so fast
2. You didnt get bored with it

There are also licensing restrictions on some programmes - especially
sports.