AOL Broadband setup

Old May 13th 08, 12:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default AOL Broadband setup

Hi Group,

Just signed up with AOL with their free laptop and broadband and
wireless router.

I've setup broadband with routers before and had no problems.

So I've got the laptop talking to the router and set the router
network login
and password. etc for AOL.

However router says authentication failed.

Is there some other settings I should be using.

Documentation says network username and password but also
says about a screen username and password. But I assume this is their
mail and other stuff which I'm not interested in.

Don't really want to install the AOL software anyone out there set a
AOL broadband connection up manually? Anything else I should be
changing?
Old May 13th 08, 01:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Zerafa

Hi,

Unless things have changed recently then the authentication should be
(all lowercase) and the password for that account.
Ensure this is the master screen name for the AOL account.

Also make sure you are using PPPoE protocol settings (not PPPoA) in the
router settings.

Do not install the AOL software (especially the dialup software) unless you
really need the AOL client for some reason.

There is no reason to install the AOL software as you can use any web
browser and any e-mail client with AOL.

Kind Regards

Simon

Old May 13th 08, 02:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

wrote in message

Hi Group,

Just signed up with AOL with their free laptop and broadband and
wireless router.

Why?

-- Graham J

Old May 13th 08, 03:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Pollard

On Tue, 13 May 2008 14:47:45 +0100, "Cork Soaker"
wrote:

: Hi Group,
:
: Just signed up with AOL with their free laptop and broadband and
: wireless router.
:
: Why?

Indeed, why?

I have been with AOL for around 18 months and their service is
excellent. Why this bias against AOL?

Ian
Old May 13th 08, 03:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cork Soaker

: : Just signed up with AOL with their free laptop and broadband and
: : wireless router.
: :
: : Why?
:
: Indeed, why?
:
: I have been with AOL for around 18 months and their service is
: excellent. Why this bias against AOL?

Are you serious?
http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/Aol
It's the cause of a lot of internets antilulz. In fact, I would say it was
cancer.

Old May 13th 08, 08:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[Lnz]

On Tue, 13 May 2008 04:04:18 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Hi Group,

Just signed up with AOL with their free laptop and broadband and
wireless router.

I've setup broadband with routers before and had no problems.

So I've got the laptop talking to the router and set the router
network login
and password. etc for AOL.

However router says authentication failed.

When I signed, a while ago, I entered

password,
PPP Authentication= PAP or CHAP,
PPPoA,
Encapsulation VC MUX,
Modulation G.DMT

And it just connected...

I seem to remember a maximum length for the screename
Old May 13th 08, 08:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[Lnz]

On Tue, 13 May 2008 14:14:51 +0100, "Graham J"
wrote:

wrote in message

Hi Group,

Just signed up with AOL with their free laptop and broadband and
wireless router.

Why?

-- Graham J

I would imagine because the OP had decided that AOL's offer was what
s/he wanted.

While the laptop offer does not ring any bells for me, I am happily
connected to AOL, the connection works, the price I pay is less than
any other ISP, I get a basically unlimited download allowance because
I joined a while ago, I don't have any minimum length contract...

Personally I am quite happy.

Lnz
Old May 13th 08, 09:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cork Soaker

: the price I pay is less than
: any other ISP, I get a basically unlimited download allowance because
: I joined a while ago, I don't have any minimum length contract...

I pay 7.50/mo. and get the same. Only it's true unlimited allowance.
I wouldn't know about the support staff as I've never needed them. However,
I have dealt with AOL support in the past. Much antilulz.