Migrated from BT but still getting email to old account

Old May 15th 08, 05:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sally Thompson

Default Migrated from BT but still getting email to old account

About six weeks ago I migrated my broadband from BT Broadband to PlusNet,
which all worked easily. However, I have discovered to my surprise that
emails sent to the old BT email addresses are still being delivered and not
bounced. I have spoken to BT who seemed surprised that I didn't want to keep
the old email addresses but didn't seem to know how to delete them
completely. I have now deleted the secondary accounts myself but cannot
delete the primary one. Can anyone advise me on this?

I would of course prefer the email account to go completely so that contacts
who haven't changed my details are alerted to the fact that they have
forgotten. As it is, the emails just vanish into a hole unless I go onto
Mail2Web or some such to check.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK

Old May 15th 08, 07:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cork Soaker

"Sally Thompson" wrote in message
al.net...
: About six weeks ago I migrated my broadband from BT Broadband to PlusNet,
: which all worked easily. However, I have discovered to my surprise that
: emails sent to the old BT email addresses are still being delivered and
not
: bounced. I have spoken to BT who seemed surprised that I didn't want to
keep
: the old email addresses but didn't seem to know how to delete them
: completely. I have now deleted the secondary accounts myself but cannot
: delete the primary one. Can anyone advise me on this?

This is normal, accounts always stay active for a period after you have
cancelled them. BT wouldn't be surprised by this unless you were speaking
to one of their call monkeys, who knows nothing.

They will deactive your account eventually, because they won't give you
something for free.
The primary email address is your account, you won't be able to delete it.

: I would of course prefer the email account to go completely so that
contacts
: who haven't changed my details are alerted to the fact that they have
: forgotten. As it is, the emails just vanish into a hole unless I go onto
: Mail2Web or some such to check.

You should be able to set up a redirect, or an autoreply to let them know
you have changed your email address. If you do not know how to, try
speaking with BT again, but this time to a monkey that has been educated.

:
: --
: Sally in Shropshire, UK
:
:
:

Old May 15th 08, 07:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith W

[...]

I left BT a couple of months ago. They automatically converted my account
to a dial-up one and tell me that it will continue as long as I dial in once
in every 90 days. I still have the BT account set up in Outlook Express
and emails come down automatically when it polls through my new ISP
connection. I cannot however send using the BT account unless I actually
dial in. I guess they have set yours up the same way so if you do not dial
in with an old fashioned dial up modem it will presumably die after 90+
days.
--
Keith Willcocks
(If you can't laugh at life, it ain't worth living)

Old May 15th 08, 07:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sally Thompson

On Thu, 15 May 2008 19:12:27 +0100, Cork Soaker wrote
(in article ):

"Sally Thompson" wrote in message
al.net...
About six weeks ago I migrated my broadband from BT Broadband to PlusNet,
which all worked easily. However, I have discovered to my surprise that
emails sent to the old BT email addresses are still being delivered and

not
bounced.

snip

This is normal, accounts always stay active for a period after you have
cancelled them. BT wouldn't be surprised by this unless you were speaking
to one of their call monkeys, who knows nothing.

They will deactive your account eventually, because they won't give you
something for free.
The primary email address is your account, you won't be able to delete it.

Ah, that explains it. Never having deactivated an account before, I hadn't
realised. Thank you so much

I would of course prefer the email account to go completely so that

contacts
who haven't changed my details are alerted to the fact that they have
forgotten. As it is, the emails just vanish into a hole unless I go onto
Mail2Web or some such to check.

You should be able to set up a redirect, or an autoreply to let them know
you have changed your email address. If you do not know how to, try
speaking with BT again, but this time to a monkey that has been educated.

I do know how, but I think I'll just pop in through Mail2Web every few days
to check for strays, otherwise my auto reply might go to the spammers as well
as the good but forgetful guysg.

Thanks again.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK

Old May 15th 08, 08:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sally Thompson

On Thu, 15 May 2008 19:28:49 +0100, Keith W wrote
(in article ):

[...]

Thanks for the confirmation. After a frustrating afternoon trying to get
answers out of BT, I am reminded of one of the reasons I left. I have
removed my BT account details from my email program and don't really want to
put them back, but I will just check for strays every few days through
Mail2Web until it vanishes. I am not likely to dial ing.

Thanks for the advice.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK

Old May 15th 08, 11:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan

Thanks for the confirmation. After a frustrating afternoon trying to get
answers out of BT, I am reminded of one of the reasons I left. I have
removed my BT account details from my email program and don't really want
put them back, but I will just check for strays every few days through
Mail2Web until it vanishes. I am not likely to dial ing.

Thanks for the advice.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK

Simply email the account some large files such as 5 / 4 /3 /2 / 1 Mb pdfs.
This will fill the mailbox and if you never empty it people will get bounced
email with an error message. Eventually people you know will contact you
through some other means and you will not need to bother with it any longer.

alan

Old May 16th 08, 01:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

I left BT a couple of months ago. They automatically converted my account
to a dial-up one and tell me that it will continue as long as I dial in once
in every 90 days.

I left BT several years ago (2002 IIRC), yet still get email to every
account I had set up with them.
Old May 16th 08, 02:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

To Keith and Sally:

Leave your BT email account set up in Outlook / Express, (or set it again).
Go To Tools / Accounts / Mail
select your BT account
go to Properties / Servers
and change the STMP
server only to:

relay.plus.net

OK your way out again.
You can now carry on using the BT email just as before, i.e. receive and
answer BT emails, until BT decides to close your account.
Keith, if you not on Plus.Net, try the SMTP server name of your new
provider, but it may not work if they are not as liberal as Plus.Net.
Regards,
Martin

Old May 16th 08, 07:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Burton Bradstock

Martin² wrote:

To Keith and Sally:

Leave your BT email account set up in Outlook / Express, (or set it again).
Go To Tools / Accounts / Mail
select your BT account
go to Properties / Servers
and change the STMP
server only to:

relay.plus.net

OK your way out again.
You can now carry on using the BT email just as before, i.e. receive and
answer BT emails, until BT decides to close your account.

Sally could also change her From and Reply To addresses to her new
ones at the same time.

Old May 16th 08, 09:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sally Thompson

On Fri, 16 May 2008 02:15:20 +0100, Martin² wrote
(in article ) :

To Keith and Sally:

Leave your BT email account set up in Outlook / Express, (or set it again).
Go To Tools / Accounts / Mail
select your BT account
go to Properties / Servers
and change the STMP
server only to:

relay.plus.net

Well I don't have Outlook Express :-) but I know what you mean.

OK your way out again.
You can now carry on using the BT email just as before, i.e. receive and
answer BT emails, until BT decides to close your account.
Keith, if you not on Plus.Net, try the SMTP server name of your new
provider, but it may not work if they are not as liberal as Plus.Net.

Thanks for that. However, the point really is that I don't want the BT email
account any more. I have a new email address and have informed everyone of
that. I am just wondering whether to set up a "bounce" myself - which would
alert people if they have forgotten to change my contact details. Anyway,
thanks to all for solving the mystery.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK