How to trace a pair?

Old May 16th 08, 04:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BJH

Default How to trace a pair?

Hi

I need to trace a pair from a master socket flush mounted face plate (not an
NTE5) back to a BT connection box. On this site there are no NTE5 boxes, just
a sodding great cable that comes into the property. The majority of which are
then connected to a Panasonic Digital PBX.

However, there is one line that comes in that is dedicated to a Fax Machine
and ADSL.

I would like to trace this pair back to the BT connection box, but the outfit
that did the installation about 15 years ago didn't leave any documentation
for which pairs are which, and unfortunately they are no longer trading.

I wondered if I could connect a tone generator to the pair at the Master
socket to allow me to trace where they end up, whilst the circuits are 'live'
and connected? Or am I in danger of bolloxing something up somewhere else?

This is new ground for me, hence why I'm looking for a little guidance.

TIA

--
Regards
Barry
Old May 16th 08, 04:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"BJH" wrote in message
[...]

Connect an earpiece in series with a capacitor to each incoming pair in turn
at the connection box. Listen to the activity when you send a fax. If you
hear fax warbles, then the pair you are listening to is the one feeding the
fax machine.

Or: on the assumption that there is only one ADSL service into the building
disconnect the ADSL router and move it to the junction box, connecting it to
each pair in turn. One pair should have the ADSL signal and the router will
show it has found it.

-- Graham J

Old May 16th 08, 05:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve B

"BJH" wrote in message
[...]

With the phone on the hook there will be about 48 volts on the pair, lift
the phone off the hook and it will drop a lot depending on line length and
phone type. You may be able to check this works near the phone. Then go to
the BT connection box, look for a 48v pair that falls much the same amount
when the phone's off the hook and that will be your pair.

Old May 16th 08, 07:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

After serious thinking BJH wrote :
[...]

Punch a socket down at the BT connection box, in turn on every pair.
Make sure you have a telephone to your ear and plugged into the socket.

If you hear dial tone (assuming you've not picked up an analogue port
on the panny) dial 147017070 and you should have the CLI read back to
you. Or ring the number from another phone.

Old May 16th 08, 07:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BJH

On 16/05/2008 17:06:08, "Steve B" wrote:

With the phone on the hook there will be about 48 volts on the pair, lift
the phone off the hook and it will drop a lot depending on line length and
phone type. You may be able to check this works near the phone. Then go to
the BT connection box, look for a 48v pair that falls much the same amount
when the phone's off the hook and that will be your pair.

Thanks Guys!

I'm spoilt for choice, but I like the sound of the 48v option, I can cope
with that.

--
Regards
Barry
Old May 16th 08, 09:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

BJH wrote:
On 16/05/2008 17:06:08, "Steve B" wrote:

With the phone on the hook there will be about 48 volts
on the pair, lift the phone off the hook and it will
drop a lot depending on line length and phone type. You
may be able to check this works near the phone. Then go
to the BT connection box, look for a 48v pair that falls
much the same amount when the phone's off the hook and
that will be your pair.

Thanks Guys!

I'm spoilt for choice, but I like the sound of the 48v
option, I can cope with that.

Why not use the tone generator, it's what BT/Openreach do
everytime...