AOL Conversation

Old May 16th 08, 09:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Dean

Default AOL Conversation

You want to see an AOL conversation? It's been adjusted to protect the
innocent.

I had to talk with AOL support today. As is typical, if they think
you're a spam sender, they block your IP address and you have to call
them to unblock:

554- (RTR:SC) http://postmaster.info.aol.com/errors/554rtrsc.html

Now look at the last line of that site:

Please Contact Us to have this block removed.

So the client at work had a problem with this, so I thought I should
call AOL.

AOL: Can I take your home phone number.
Me: Sorry, I don't have an AOL account, my client is running a mail
server on a different ISP and when they send a mail to an AOL user they
get the 554 error and the IP is block. It's asking for me to contact you
to get the block removed. Can you put me through to the right section?
AOL: Ok. One moment.

AOL 2: Can I take your screen name or home phone number?
Me: Sorry, I don't have an AOL account, my client is running a mail
server on a different ISP and when they send a mail to an AOL user they
get the 554 error and the IP is block. It's asking for me to contact you
to get the block removed. Can you put me through to the right section?
Your useless phone system doesn't have an option for this.
AOL 2: Well this is billing. Why have you come through to me?
Me: Can you just put me through to the right people then?

AOL 3: Can I take your account name or phone number?
Me: No. I don't have an AOL account, my client is running a mail server
on a different ISP and when they send a mail to an AOL user they get the
554 error and the IP is block. It's asking for me to contact you to get
the block removed.
AOL 3: Sure, but can I take your screen name first?
Me: I don't have an AOL account.
AOL 3: Then I can't help you.
Me: Well can you put me through to someone who can help in relation to
postmaster?
AOL 3: We deal with everything here.
Me: Well your system is blocking me.
AOL 3: Our systems don't block anything.
Me: It is. Im getting error 554, it's complaining because it thinks the
sender is a spam source or something and we need to get the block removed.
AOL 3: Sir, our systems don't block anything. You must have some
software on your computer blocking it.
Me: But it's a mail server. There's no software on this. Trust me, Im a
computer engineer. Your systems are blocking it.
AOL 3: No sir. Our systems don't block anything.
Me: But I have this URL that says to call you to get the Block removed.
BLOCK. It's blocking me. I need the block removed.
AOL 3: What's your account name?
Me: I don't have an account.
AOL 3: Then how can we help you?
Me: Your systems are blocking me!
AOL 3: Our systems don't block anything. What email software are you using?
Me: Why?
AOL 3: We only support specific email software.
Me: It doesn't matter. This isn't an email software issue, your systems
are blocking my IP address.
AOL 3: What software do you use?
Me: Fine. Telnet. Port 25. Im seeing the error that your systems are
blocking my IP.
AOL 3: Sir, our systems don't block anyone.
Me: Yes they are. They say there are. The URL says you put Blocks on.
You're being condescending and obstructive. I want to speak to your
superior.
AOL 3: I can't put you through to them. Our systems don't block anything.
Me: Do not lie to me. You're being condescending and completely mocking me.
AOL 3: But sir, our systems do not block anything. There must be
something on your side.
Me: This is absolute incompetence and a joke.
AOL 3: One moment.

Pause

AOL 4: What can I help you with?
Me: I don't have an AOL account, my client is running a mail server on a
different ISP and when they send a mail to an AOL user they get the 554
error and the IP is block. It's asking for me to contact you to get the
block removed.
AOL 4: Our systems don't block anything.
Me: (exasperated) But they do. The email response says they do, telnet
says they do, and this URL says they do.
AOL 4: No they don't
Me: Look, I have this URL.... Please.... Just spend two minutes looking
at it... (slowly) h-t-t-p-colon-forward slash-forward
slash-postmaster-dot-info-dot-aol-dot-com-forward slash-errors-forward
slash-5-5-4-r-t-r-s-c-dot-h-t-m-l
AOL 4: Can I take your account name?
Me: But I don't have an AOL account, our email is being blocked.
AOL 4: What email software are you using?
Me: That's irrelevent. It has nothing to do with software. It's error
554 rtrsc and the error says to contact you to get the block removed.
AOL 4: Well if I can take your screen name, I can look at the history
for you?
Me: But I don't have a screen name. Im not an AOL customer.
AOL 4: Sir, we can only help AOL customers.
Me: But your systems are blocking my IP address!
AOL 4: Our systems don't block anything.
Me: Yes they do! I've got the proof!
AOL 4: Sir, you're not listening to me. What's your screen name?
Me: This is a joke right? You're accusing me of not listening to you?
AOL 4: Yes that's right.
Me: I've just told you over again that I have the details that show that
your systems are blocking my IP, to contact you, and I've told you
again, I do not have AOL.
AOL 4: What email software are you using.
Me: Exchange. It's a mail server. I've got the details that say the
emails are being blocked.
AOL 4: Our systems don't block anything.
Me: I have the URL to prove you do. Have you checked it yet?
AOL 4: No sir. What's the URL?
Me: Excuse me? I gave that to you five minutes ago? You havent checked
it yet? You're treating people abysmally. Alright. Here's the URL...
AOL 4: It's not coming up with anything.
Me: I'll give you the URL again...
AOL 4: No. Im not seeing anything.
Me: Right, well look, it just says to call you guys regarding a block.
In fact here are the rest of the details.
AOL 4: Our systems do not block anything.
Me: Yes they do.
AOL 4: If I can take your account details.
Me: I don't have an account. Your systems block me. I'm not getting
anywhere. I want to make a complaint.
AOL 4: Certainly. You can do that. Login to AOL...
Me: Log into AOL? How do I login to AOL? I don't have an account!
AOL 4: If you don't have an account, then why are you speaking to us?

This is when i saw red... You don't want to know what happens next...

A few hours later, I speak to American AOL:

Me "Yes, Im getting 554 RTRSC and your systems are blocking my clients
IP address, I need to get this block lifted."

AOL "Certainly. What's the IP?"

Me "XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX"

AOL: "Is that a new IP?"

Me: "Yes"

AOL "Ok that's in the system and will take two business days to become
active."

Why is it in the UK, we have to pay more and put up with less?
Old May 16th 08, 11:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
It's Me

lesson here.

DO NOT USE AOL

Sorry had to shout so they would hear?

Old May 16th 08, 11:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Dean

It's Me wrote:
lesson here.

DO NOT USE AOL

Sorry had to shout so they would hear?

Everyone knows that, apart from the AOL users. But when you have to send
email to people who should know better, you kind of have to find someone
with an IQ level of at least 50 in order to be able to help fix THEIR
email systems.
Old May 17th 08, 01:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

In ,
Simon Dean typed, for some strange, unexplained reason:

[snip]

: Me: Log into AOL? How do I login to AOL? I don't have an account!
: AOL 4: If you don't have an account, then why are you speaking to us?
:
: This is when i saw red... You don't want to know what happens next...

(All together now..!)

"Oh Yes We Do"..!!!

: A few hours later, I speak to American AOL:
:
: Me "Yes, Im getting 554 RTRSC and your systems are blocking my clients
: IP address, I need to get this block lifted."
:
: AOL "Certainly. What's the IP?"
:
: Me "XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX"
:
: AOL: "Is that a new IP?"
:
: Me: "Yes"
:
: AOL "Ok that's in the system and will take two business days to become
: active."
:
: Why is it in the UK, we have to pay more and put up with less?

Because we're British. The Americans wouldn't put up with our charges for
0870, our petrol prices and a lot more besides.

Ivor

Old May 17th 08, 08:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Quinton

On Fri, 16 May 2008 22:33:32 +0100, Simon Dean
wrote:

Everyone knows that, apart from the AOL users. But when you have to send
email to people who should know better, you kind of have to find someone
with an IQ level of at least 50 in order to be able to help fix THEIR
email systems.

We're contemplating adding a 25% surcharge for new website clients if
they have an AOL address in order to allow for the extra support
they'll need...
--
Locate your Mobile phone: http://www.bizorg.co.uk/news.html
Great gifts: http://www.ThisBritain.com/ASOS_popup.html
Old May 17th 08, 11:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Dean

Ivor Jones wrote:
In ,
Simon Dean typed, for some strange, unexplained reason:

[snip]

: Me: Log into AOL? How do I login to AOL? I don't have an account!
: AOL 4: If you don't have an account, then why are you speaking to us?
:
: This is when i saw red... You don't want to know what happens next...

(All together now..!)

"Oh Yes We Do"..!!!

Ok... What happens next...

(Remember, Best Indian accents for AOL3 and AOL4)

Me: Because your F***ing systems are blocking my email
AOL 4: This is a professional line sir.
Me: Bangs phone as loud as a I can against the desk three times on the
desk and slam the phone down

Honestly. Why am I speaking to him.

Five minutes ago, he accused me of not listening to him. Cheeky little
****ant. I can't stand people lying to me or insulting my intelligence,
especially when they're in a customer service role.
Old May 17th 08, 10:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gizmo.

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
[...]

Another one who's never lived in the US

Old May 17th 08, 11:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cork Soaker

: Because we're British. The Americans wouldn't put up with our charges
for
: 0870, our petrol prices and a lot more besides.
:
: Another one who's never lived in the US

Petrol prices are higher in the US.

Old May 17th 08, 11:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

In ,
Gizmo. typed, for some strange, unexplained reason:
: "Ivor Jones" wrote in message
: ...
: In ,
: Simon Dean typed, for some strange, unexplained
: reason:
:
: [snip]
:
: : Me: Log into AOL? How do I login to AOL? I don't have an account!
: : AOL 4: If you don't have an account, then why are you speaking to
: : us?
: :
[...]

Are you so sure of that..? Ok I've never been resident there but I've
spent a lot of time there and have more than a few friends there, and I
know what their feelings on the subject under discussion are.

Are you calling me and them liars..? Be honest.

Ivor

Old May 18th 08, 12:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Cork Soaker" wrote in message

: Because we're British. The Americans wouldn't put up with our charges
for
: 0870, our petrol prices and a lot more besides.
:
: Another one who's never lived in the US

Petrol prices are higher in the US.

You think $3.80 a gallon is more expensive than 1.10 per liter?
I think you need to do some basic maths revision before you next SAT.