ADSLmax Speed Vs ADSL Speed

Old May 16th 08, 11:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

Default ADSLmax Speed Vs ADSL Speed

I am a wee bit confused as to projected adsl speeds shown on a BT phone
line connected to a Hemel Hempstead exchange.

The BT speed checker at http://www.adslchecker.bt.com/pls/adsl shows
speeds of 'an ADSL broadband service that provides a line rate up to
1Mbps' and then goes on to say 'Our test also indicates that your line
currently supports a potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of 500Kbps
or greater'

Why would ADSLmax indicate a lower speed than the original adsl.

Geoff Lane
Old May 17th 08, 12:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
I am a wee bit confused as to projected adsl speeds shown on a BT phone
line connected to a Hemel Hempstead exchange.

The BT speed checker at http://www.adslchecker.bt.com/pls/adsl shows
speeds of 'an ADSL broadband service that provides a line rate up to
1Mbps' and then goes on to say 'Our test also indicates that your line
currently supports a potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of 500Kbps or
greater'

Why would ADSLmax indicate a lower speed than the original adsl.

Geoff Lane

But the qualifications "up to" and "or greater" ensure they are not
necessarily indicating what you suggest.

--
Graham

%Profound_observation%

Old May 17th 08, 01:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

Graham. wrote:

I am a wee bit confused as to projected adsl speeds shown on a BT phone
line connected to a Hemel Hempstead exchange.

The BT speed checker at http://www.adslchecker.bt.com/pls/adsl shows
speeds of 'an ADSL broadband service that provides a line rate up to
1Mbps' and then goes on to say 'Our test also indicates that your line
currently supports a potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of 500Kbps or
greater'

Why would ADSLmax indicate a lower speed than the original adsl.

But the qualifications "up to" and "or greater" ensure they are not
necessarily indicating what you suggest.

Yes, I appreciate that but the suggestion is still that ADSLmax might be
slower.

Bearing in mind the marketing used by almost all ISPs they tend to
suggest the higher figure, why else would they use bits per second
rather than bytes.

I'm only curious as the ADSLmax normally gets around 1mbps when
conditions are right.

Geoff Lane

Old May 17th 08, 02:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
Graham. wrote:

[...]

It can work the other way too.
When I went to ADSLmax my estimate was the same as yours.
In the event my actual speeds vary between 1.9 and 3 Meg (currently working
at 2.4).

George

Old May 17th 08, 03:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Fraser

Geoff Lane wrote:
Graham. wrote:

I am a wee bit confused as to projected adsl speeds shown on a BT
phone line connected to a Hemel Hempstead exchange.

The BT speed checker at http://www.adslchecker.bt.com/pls/adsl shows
speeds of 'an ADSL broadband service that provides a line rate up to
1Mbps' and then goes on to say 'Our test also indicates that your
line currently supports a potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of
500Kbps or greater'

Why would ADSLmax indicate a lower speed than the original adsl.

But the qualifications "up to" and "or greater" ensure they are not
necessarily indicating what you suggest.

Yes, I appreciate that but the suggestion is still that ADSLmax might be
slower.

The only reason I can think of is that bin allocation is different on
ADSLmax - ie fewer bins are made available for downstream use. There is
some logic to this, since the upstream rate is higher, but I don't know
if it is true - perhaps someone else can confirm/deny.

Bearing in mind the marketing used by almost all ISPs they tend to
suggest the higher figure, why else would they use bits per second
rather than bytes.

Communications links fundamentally operate with bits, so rates are
expressed in those terms. Also, the rates are typically derived from a
decimal clock signal, so decimal prefixes (eg 1 kbit/s = 1000 bit/s) are
natural.

Alex
Old May 18th 08, 11:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

George Weston wrote:

I'm only curious as the ADSLmax normally gets around 1mbps when conditions
are right.

It can work the other way too.
When I went to ADSLmax my estimate was the same as yours.
In the event my actual speeds vary between 1.9 and 3 Meg (currently working
at 2.4).

That's interesting, the location is my daughter's and not mine and she
has a lot of fish tank electronics close by which I am sure is a
contributory factor in speed problems.

Geoff Lane
Old May 18th 08, 11:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

Alex Fraser wrote:

Communications links fundamentally operate with bits, so rates are
expressed in those terms. Also, the rates are typically derived from a
decimal clock signal, so decimal prefixes (eg 1 kbit/s = 1000 bit/s) are
natural.

That's true. I use analogX which is configurable for Bytes or Bits anyway.

Geoff Lane