Help please connecting to Sky

Old May 18th 08, 10:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

Default Help please connecting to Sky

I am setting up a desktop PC for my daughter who lives a distance away.
She has Sky broadband with wireless router but has not yet used it (her
laptop is playing up, hence what I am doing.)

Can anyone tell me the server addresses for Sky so that I can put them
in and it will 'plug and play' when my wife delivers it later this week.
The PC will be cable connected to the router. I assume she will have
received notification of username and password from Sky, although I note
there is what may be username and password (plus encryption key) on a
label underneath the router? Or is it like logging on to (as was) NTL
for the first time whence you open IE and go to a 'URL' called 'Start?'

I am trying to avoid her having to run the CD supplied with all the cr*p
(including IE7) that it will also doubtless dump on the machine if it is
run.

Any advice gratefully received.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old May 18th 08, 11:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sean B

"Woody" wrote:

[...]

There are plenty websites explaining how to connect to SKY.
Passwords etc. are hidden in the router firmware... so I think
you just plug it in and away it goes... you don't need the
server addresses they are permanenly connected to the telephone
line. Hardly any login info is available to the user without
special software... it's not needed unless you want to go
against the SKY agreement and use a different router.

Sean B

Old May 18th 08, 01:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Barb

"Woody" wrote in message
[...]

Just plug it all in and run the CD - you don't have to install anything -
it's all been made pretty painless and idiot-proof. I agree about isp's
installing IE7, their own toolbars and the like, but this CD doesn't do
that, it just quickly sets up your PC to "recognise" sky without you having
to do anything yourself. The CD, in fact, tells you exactly where to plug
everything, in case you haven't done this before and need to know.....

Somewhere in the info you have received from Sky there will be a password,
which you should change to one of your choice as soon as you get online.
The username is simply the name given to you by Sky (e.g. john.smith, or
j.smith, etc. etc.) which starts your sky.com email address.

I would suggest going to the Sky broadband website and doing some exploring,
there's plenty of info about how to do things.

Good luck!

Barb

Old May 18th 08, 07:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ed

"Woody" wrote in message
[...]

You dont have to do anything... Just plug the cable from the router to the
LAN on the PC and it will self aquire an IP address. The username and
password are hidden in the router. She does not need the CD at all. Throw
it away!

Old May 19th 08, 09:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Barb wrote:
"Woody" wrote in message
[...]

You obviousely haven't read the OP post & neither have you run the SKY
Broadband CD