Cancelling my BB account - moving home & getting new one

Old May 19th 08, 01:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ken

Default Cancelling my BB account - moving home & getting new one

I am sorry if this is simple and obvious but wouldn't mind a simple
explanation!

I am with Zen paying 24.99 PM and feel I would rather move to somewhere
like Plus Net getting the same for 14.99 PM. I am moving house in 8/9 weeks
but date yet to be fixed.

At this end I assume I just serve notice?

Where I am moving to has BB (with Orange) so do I assume they need to cancel
to clear the line?

On the new house when can I order my BB so it will coincide with the day I
move in?

I essentially need a connection, as I work for myself, but what if there is
a cock up can I still get a dial up and do I need a disc or what?

Help would be good.

Ken

Old May 19th 08, 02:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"Ken" Reply to NG only wrote in message
I am sorry if this is simple and obvious but wouldn't mind a simple
explanation!

I am with Zen paying 24.99 PM and feel I would rather move to somewhere
like Plus Net getting the same for 14.99 PM. I am moving house in 8/9
weeks but date yet to be fixed.

At this end I assume I just serve notice?

Where I am moving to has BB (with Orange) so do I assume they need to
cancel to clear the line?

On the new house when can I order my BB so it will coincide with the day I
move in?

I essentially need a connection, as I work for myself, but what if there
is a cock up can I still get a dial up and do I need a disc or what?

Help would be good.

At your current address, simply cancel your Zen account. Note that if you
receive your email via the associated a Zen account that will stop working
from the agreed cancellation date.

At the new property, insist that the current occupier cancels their ADSL
service. It doesn't matter who they're with, it will not be possible to
transfer their connection to you. If you are buying the property, make this
a condition of purchase with a penalty clause so that you can cover the cost
and inconvenience of fixing any problems that arise.

When you take over the new property, and have the BT line billed to your
name, then you can apply to the ISP of your choice. This will take the
usual week or two, so it will not coincide with the day you move in.

In the meantime, you can use dial-up. You will of course need a modem! Set
up the dial-up account now - any PAYG service will do - and you will know it
works before you move.

Alternatively, keep your account with Zen, and talk to them about the change
of address. Provided that you ensure the existing service at the new house
is cancelled before you move in Zen will arrange a seamless transfer using
your present account details for the moving date that you agree with them.
Take your router (with the current username and password) to the new house,
plug it in, and it will work. You will have to use the same phone number as
is currently in use at the new premises, otherwise there will be a delay
while you set up a new number.

-- Graham J

Old May 19th 08, 03:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Lewis

Graham J wrote:
At the new property, insist that the current occupier cancels their ADSL
service. It doesn't matter who they're with, it will not be possible to
transfer their connection to you. [...]

This isn't correct -- I have twice managed to persuade a previous
occupant to obtain a MAC for me and transfer the line to a different ISP
(with an account in my name) on the day of the move.

This may well not be supposed to work, but in my experience it does --
synchronizing the changeover of voice service on the line is the tricky
bit. The nice side-effect is that one avoids paying a reconnection charge.

Stephen
Old May 19th 08, 04:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
It's Me

"Stephen Lewis" wrote in message
Graham J wrote:
At the new property, insist that the current occupier cancels their ADSL
service. It doesn't matter who they're with, it will not be possible to
transfer their connection to you. [...]

This isn't correct -- I have twice managed to persuade a previous occupant
to obtain a MAC for me and transfer the line to a different ISP (with an
account in my name) on the day of the move.

This may well not be supposed to work, but in my experience it does --
synchronizing the changeover of voice service on the line is the tricky
bit. The nice side-effect is that one avoids paying a reconnection charge.

Stephen

Zen offer a FREE house move option.
http://www.zen.co.uk/Broadband/zenbr...adsl-move.aspx

Otherwise you will have to pay another connection fee.

Good luck

Old May 19th 08, 04:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
It's Me

Zen offer a FREE house move option.
http://www.zen.co.uk/Broadband/zenbr...adsl-move.aspx

Otherwise you will have to pay another connection fee.

Good luck

I would add, it may be better to move with Zen as you may get less problems
and as Zen are only monthly contracts you could request MAC and move after
everything is up and running.

If you have been with Zen long you will know there support is first class.

Thats the way I would do it, so good luck again.

Old May 19th 08, 04:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
xCx

Graham J wrote:
"Ken" Reply to NG only wrote in message

In the meantime, you can use dial-up. You will of course need a modem! Set
up the dial-up account now - any PAYG service will do - and you will know it
works before you move.

www.emergencyinternet.com

Used them quite a bit when I was with freeserve!
Old May 19th 08, 05:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
It's Me

"xCx" wrote in message
Graham J wrote:
"Ken" Reply to NG only wrote in message

In the meantime, you can use dial-up. You will of course need a modem!
Set up the dial-up account now - any PAYG service will do - and you will
know it works before you move.

www.emergencyinternet.com

Used them quite a bit when I was with freeserve!

No I don't work for Zen internet. : - )

You also have a free Dialup account with Zen.

You use your normal login details, but it will not work if you are also
logged in to your ADSL connection.

Give it a test.

Old May 19th 08, 06:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ken

"Ken" Reply to NG only wrote in message
I am sorry if this is simple and obvious but wouldn't mind a simple
explanation!

I am with Zen paying 24.99 PM and feel I would rather move to somewhere
like Plus Net getting the same for 14.99 PM. I am moving house in 8/9
weeks but date yet to be fixed.

At this end I assume I just serve notice?

Where I am moving to has BB (with Orange) so do I assume they need to
cancel to clear the line?

On the new house when can I order my BB so it will coincide with the day I
move in?

I essentially need a connection, as I work for myself, but what if there
is a cock up can I still get a dial up and do I need a disc or what?

Help would be good.

Ken

Thanks guys you help is great and I think I am better to stick with Zen
until after I have moved. Luckily and coincidentally I am moving to a
friends old house so there will be no problem linking in over any issues.
Also good to have the emergency internet link but also take the point Zen
have one. Must admit I did forget all about dial up as it has been so long.
Surprising how soon you get used to BB!!!
Ken