BT Home Hub Security

Old May 20th 08, 08:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jonathan

Default BT Home Hub Security

I have recently intsalled one - wnet fine without even installing any
of their software from the CD. I don't know much about these things
but are their configuration changes from the default that I should
make to improve security? I have a PC running XP withan ethernet
connection to the Hub.

As I understand it the Hub is a router. Does it, for instance, support
NAT and is this switched on. I cant find anything from the
configuration pages when I log on as administrator to the Hub.

Many thanks

Jonathan
Old May 20th 08, 09:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Jonathan wrote thus:
I have recently intsalled one - wnet fine without even installing any
of their software from the CD. I don't know much about these things
but are their configuration changes from the default that I should
make to improve security? I have a PC running XP withan ethernet
connection to the Hub.

The security they are pushing is for a wireless connection the HH comes
configured for WEP but you are advised to use WPA/WPA2

As I understand it the Hub is a router. Does it, for instance, support
NAT and is this switched on. I cant find anything from the
configuration pages when I log on as administrator to the Hub.

On the HH:

Continue to advanced (password etc.)
Configuration
Firewall

--
Steve

For economic reasons the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off
- Me
Old May 21st 08, 08:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith W

"Jonathan" wrote in message
I have recently intsalled one - wnet fine without even installing any
of their software from the CD. I don't know much about these things
but are their configuration changes from the default that I should
make to improve security? I have a PC running XP withan ethernet
connection to the Hub.

As I understand it the Hub is a router. Does it, for instance, support
NAT and is this switched on. I cant find anything from the
configuration pages when I log on as administrator to the Hub.

You should change the user password from the default. As previously stated
you do not need to worry about WPA or the SSID unless you have the wireless
function turned on. If you don't need WIFI turn it off in the
configuration.
--
Keith Willcocks
(If you can't laugh at life, it ain't worth living)

Old May 25th 08, 04:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CommanderZendo

"Jonathan" wrote in message
I have recently intsalled one - wnet fine without even installing any
of their software from the CD. I

-snip-

Check out todays Mail on Sunday item about these devices and their security.

Commanda