wireless repeater / xbox360 setup ?

Old May 20th 08, 09:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Default wireless repeater / xbox360 setup ?

Asking on behalf of a colleague, not entirely sure how you'd need to
go about this :-}

He's got an xbox360 in his conservatory, and wants to connect
wirelessly to the internet to do the online stuff. The router would be
elsewhere in the house (as always happens...)

Circumstances would appear to negate his chances of hard-wiring it
(just redecorated, new carpets so can't underfloor it etc).

It looks like there are specific wireless adaptors available, but i'm
not sure how you'd need to configure a router, or whether a normal
wireless repeater and then hard-wired to the xbox would be better.

Are there specific ports you need to enable, or would it be better if
he can get a router with DMZ - then again, does a DMZ only apply to a
hard-wired port, or can you config a wireless adaptor to do the same ?

Some reports indicate the xbox specific adaptors can be a little fussy
as to their choice of router - any recommendations ? (I happen to have
a Netgear 834GT (ex-Sky, reflashed) available that he can have if
suitable)

Sorry it's a bit vague :-}

TIA !
Old May 21st 08, 05:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Colin Wilson wrote:
[...]

Well, I haven't got an X-box but I know people who use them wirelessly with
a BT HomeHub, a Linksys WAG54GS and a Linksys WAG325N, all without any
trouble at all. If he's having trouble with the wifi signal strength, how
about powerline adapters instead?

John

Old May 21st 08, 11:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Well, I haven't got an X-box but I know people who use them wirelessly with
a BT HomeHub, a Linksys WAG54GS and a Linksys WAG325N, all without any
trouble at all. If he's having trouble with the wifi signal strength, how
about powerline adapters instead?

I'm not sure what his signal strength is - but I didn't initially
realise you could get a wireless adaptor for them, hence the thinking
about a wireless repeater and hard-wiring into that :-}

I'll see if I can get more info off him - thanks for the reply :-)