DACS on the line

Old May 22nd 08, 11:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

Default DACS on the line

TheOldFellow expressed precisely :
Since Plusnet, Openreach and BT are all one company, couldn't they 'see'
that there was a DACS on the line when the order was accepted?

Sometimes they don't know without actually driving up and looking at
it.

I've seen 'em activate broadband on a line; subsequently the customer
has been unable to connect - new routers/microfilters tried.....to then
have an engineer pop out & discover there's a DACs.

I also had cause for complaint about Openreach's records WRT DACs -

"It'll cost you 4000 for the 2 new ISDN2e as there is insufficient
line plant and we need to run 5cm of new cable (well 50m)"

"OK, I'll convert 2 analogue lines to 2 ISDN2e"

"That'll be 4000 as there is a DACs on the analogue lines and, as you
know there is insufficient line plant"

"OK, I'll convert the analogue lines into 1 ISND2e and worry about the
other afterwards"

Engineer arrives. NO POXY DACS ON THE LINE.

Old May 23rd 08, 11:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David James

On Thu, 22 May 2008 21:25:27 +0100, Jono scribbled:

David James laid this down on his screen :
The funny thing is

I thought so too

You think! Wow, do you have the skill for that ;-)
Old May 24th 08, 09:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

"TheOldFellow" wrote in message
After waiting for Plusnet to clear Direct Debit mandates etc, and then
instruct BT (nearly a month from order) they attempted connection on
Tuesday, only to find that BT Openreach have a DACS on the line. They
are now saying that the 'with planning review on the 29th May'. Does
this mean that they expect to remove the DACS on the 29th, or that they
plan to have a little review meeting about it, wait another age, and
finally say: 'sorry we can't do broadband on that line'.

Since Plusnet, Openreach and BT are all one company, couldn't they 'see'
that there was a DACS on the line when the order was accepted?

They are in common ownership but not the same company. The regulator insists
that there is very clear division between them. In theory the BT records
should show if there is a DACS on the line but the records are not 100%
reliable. The planning review means that they are going to investigate
matters to see if they have spare cable pairs available to allow the DACS to
be removed. Until that happens nobody can know what the outcome will be.

--
Peter Crosland