BT Homehub connects at lower rate than 585i

Old May 22nd 08, 01:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul C

Default BT Homehub connects at lower rate than 585i

Hi
I have a BT Homehub and Speedtouch 585i - both seem to be same
manufacturer - Thompson. After a week or so, the Homehub connects at around
6000 but the Speedtouch at 8128. Is there something in the Homehub that
forces it to connect at a higher S/N margin (~12db) than the Speedtouch
(~6db), or is it just poorer quality?
Just curious.
Paul

Old May 22nd 08, 05:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Paul C wrote:
Hi
I have a BT Homehub and Speedtouch 585i - both seem to be same
manufacturer - Thompson. After a week or so, the Homehub connects at
around 6000 but the Speedtouch at 8128. Is there something in the
Homehub that forces it to connect at a higher S/N margin (~12db) than
the Speedtouch (~6db), or is it just poorer quality?
Just curious.
Paul

It's crap! I have three of them here (sent by BT for various reasons) and
they are all still in their boxes, ready to be used in an emergency as
spares, but will never be used "full-time".

My Linksys WAG325N (and before it, a Linksys WAG54GS, and before that a BT
Voyager 2091) always synchs at 8128/448 but *none* of the HomeHubs (just
used fleetingly for experiments and tests) have ever managed more than
5200/328 (IIRC) and the connections were always flakey with dropped
connections and instability, whereas the Voyager and the Linksys boxes
are/were rock steady, with my longest uptime being some 637Days, 17Hours and
something.

John

Old May 25th 08, 04:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CommanderZendo

"John" [email protected] wrote in message
It's crap! I have three of them here (sent by BT for various reasons) and
they are all still in their boxes, ready to be used in an emergency as
spares, but will never be used "full-time".

-snip-

Have you seen todays report on the Home Hub in the Mail on Sunday?

Commanda

Old May 25th 08, 08:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

CommanderZendo wrote:
"John" [email protected] wrote in message
It's crap! I have three of them here (sent by BT for various
reasons) and they are all still in their boxes, ready to be used in
an emergency as spares, but will never be used "full-time".

-snip-

Have you seen todays report on the Home Hub in the Mail on Sunday?

Commanda

No, I don't get the Mail on Sunday - what does it say?

John

Old June 3rd 08, 06:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil B

"Paul C" wrote in message
Hi
I have a BT Homehub and Speedtouch 585i - both seem to be same
manufacturer - Thompson. After a week or so, the Homehub connects at
around 6000 but the Speedtouch at 8128. Is there something in the Homehub
that forces it to connect at a higher S/N margin (~12db) than the
Speedtouch (~6db), or is it just poorer quality?
Just curious.
Paul

Sorry for the late reply.
Yes, I have tried that combination of routers but with a very long line of
8.6Km. The 585 v6 is stable at between 700K and 800K, the HH terribly
unstable at 500K. Netgear DG834GT was worse at 480K.
The 'keyboard experience' seems to be affected more by the errors than the
actual synchronisation speed - the 585 synchronises faster, with a lower s/n
threshold and lower error rates.

Why? Well, two theories:
1. I do note that the HH radiates a lot of unwanted energy - a plain phone
instrument within 2 metres picks up a lot of noise.
Maybe power supply filtering might be a factor, but I never did get round to
putting a smoothing gizzmo on the power lead to test the thoery.

2. I'll bet that the code is Thompson supplied but BT modified and their
emphasis will be on things like the IP phones working and spooling TV.
Maybe very little effort has gone into squeezing the last bit of speed out
of the line.

In the long run though, I doubt if you'll tell the difference at your
speeds - you'll be limited by contention ratios anyway. To put these speeds
in context, there are some Further Education colleges connected at 8 Meg
(uncontended) - serving probably a 500+ PCs plus a couple of professional
quality CCTV studios.

I'll put my crash hat on now for those remarks!

Phil