O2 Broadband

Old May 22nd 08, 02:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gethryn

Default O2 Broadband

O2 is offering me, as an O2 account holder, an SDSL service which is
available on my local exchange. They claim that 16 mbps will be available,
and the cost is 10 a month, on a 12 month contract.

Anyone any experience of this service? I am currently on a pretty reliable
Virgin Media Broadband at the moment, but this 2mbps service goes up to 15
a month shortly.

Old May 22nd 08, 06:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ACDeag

Gethryn wrote:
O2 is offering me, as an O2 account holder, an SDSL service which is
available on my local exchange. They claim that 16 mbps will be available,
and the cost is 10 a month, on a 12 month contract.

Anyone any experience of this service? I am currently on a pretty reliable
Virgin Media Broadband at the moment, but this 2mbps service goes up to 15
a month shortly.

I think you will find it is an ADSL 2+ service not SDSL. This site can
be a good place to get a feel of the service you will get.

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=o2

O2 broadband is provided by their subsidiary BE Broadband
(www.bethere.co.uk), people I know who have "be" say it is very good.
Old May 25th 08, 05:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
mikes

"ACDeag" wrote in message
Gethryn wrote:
O2 is offering me, as an O2 account holder, an SDSL service which is
available on my local exchange. They claim that 16 mbps will be
available, and the cost is 10 a month, on a 12 month contract.

Anyone any experience of this service? I am currently on a pretty
reliable Virgin Media Broadband at the moment, but this 2mbps service
goes up to 15 a month shortly.

I think you will find it is an ADSL 2+ service not SDSL. This site can be
a good place to get a feel of the service you will get.

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=o2

O2 broadband is provided by their subsidiary BE Broadband
(www.bethere.co.uk), people I know who have "be" say it is very good.

I've just moved from Onetel (part of CPW).

As an O2 mobile user you get a discount.

Been with them a couple of months and the service is excellent.

Average 13.2 Mbs Downstream, 1Mbs upstream.

Old May 26th 08, 11:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sean B

"mikes" wrote:

"ACDeag" wrote in message
Gethryn wrote:
O2 is offering me, as an O2 account holder, an SDSL service which is
available on my local exchange. They claim that 16 mbps will be
available, and the cost is 10 a month, on a 12 month contract.

Anyone any experience of this service? I am currently on a pretty
reliable Virgin Media Broadband at the moment, but this 2mbps service
goes up to 15 a month shortly.

I think you will find it is an ADSL 2+ service not SDSL. This site can be
a good place to get a feel of the service you will get.

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=o2

O2 broadband is provided by their subsidiary BE Broadband
(www.bethere.co.uk), people I know who have "be" say it is very good.

I've just moved from Onetel (part of CPW).

As an O2 mobile user you get a discount.

Been with them a couple of months and the service is excellent.

Average 13.2 Mbs Downstream, 1Mbs upstream.

If you are a long way from the exchange o2 won't supply
even if their checker says they will. I'm about 5.5km
cable length away according to them and they won't
supply. The BE checker says they will, but when I
tried to apply be phone they said I was too far away.
Very misleading?

Sean B

Old May 26th 08, 11:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"Sean B" wrote in message
"mikes" wrote:

"ACDeag" wrote in message
Gethryn wrote:
[...]

Distance from the exchange may not be the same as the length of the phone
line.

I know of a location which has 8km line length and achieves a reliable
228kbits/sec download.

--
Graham J

Old May 26th 08, 12:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"Graham J" wrote in message

"Sean B" wrote in message
"mikes" wrote:

"ACDeag" wrote in message
Gethryn wrote:
[...]

Sorry - typo - that should be 288kbits/sec

--
Graham J

Old May 27th 08, 06:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sean B

"Graham J" wrote:

If you are a long way from the exchange o2 won't supply
even if their checker says they will. I'm about 5.5km
cable length away according to them and they won't
supply. The BE checker says they will, but when I
tried to apply be phone they said I was too far away.
Very misleading?

Distance from the exchange may not be the same as the length of the phone
line.

BE and o2 seem to know the actual cable lengths and that's what they
refer to I think Samknows gives my address as being 3.3km as the
crow flies. To drive there would be about 4km. I am surprised that
they don't want the business. I'm currently getting 240 kbps with a
very stable Rx Noise of just over 6db, so the line isn't bad. I think
BT have slapped a limit on it of 2meg which is the only reason I'm
not getting any higher. Sync can be up to 2700

Sean B

Old May 27th 08, 08:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cork Soaker

Gethryn wrote:
O2 is offering me, as an O2 account holder, an SDSL service which is
available on my local exchange. They claim that 16 mbps will be available,
and the cost is 10 a month, on a 12 month contract.

Anyone any experience of this service? I am currently on a pretty reliable
Virgin Media Broadband at the moment, but this 2mbps service goes up to 15
a month shortly.

Been with O2 broadband for a few months and all is good. There is the
normal slowdown during peak hours, but I normally get full speed and
there are no restrictions. It also costs 7.50/mo. because I top up 10
a month - which is a superb deal!

That 10/mo. top up comes with 1.5MB mobile data download, low phone
rates, 500 free texts a month (with unlimited free texts between 19:00
and 20:00), and a smug self-satisfaction I can only feel from getting it
right, for a change.

And if I don't top up the 10/mo, then I pay 10 for that month's
internet connection, which is still superb by any standard.
Old May 28th 08, 06:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gethryn

"Cork Soaker" wrote in message
Gethryn wrote:
[...]

Thanks to all those who replied, very helpful!

Old May 29th 08, 08:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 27 May, 20:15, Cork Soaker wrote:

And if I don't top up the 10/mo, then I pay 10 for that month's
internet connection, which is still superb by any standard.

I assume the BT line rental has to be paid on top of that?

Fonn