Sync Speed Problem

Old May 22nd 08, 04:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
naza

Default Sync Speed Problem

In the last few days I have been having a few problems with my
broadband. Last Saturday I got a huge amount of high pitched noise
over the phone line. I thought maybe the micro filters. I removed each
one and after removing one my modem synced at the normal rate. I
thought that was the end it was not. After failing getting some free
filters I and being a bit thrown about something the ISP said on the
phone I decided to test at the test socket. That's where the real
shocker came:

Normal Attenuation since 2006: 53db
Current Attenuation at the test socket: 60db

But if I connect the the faceplate back on and check then I get 53db
attenuation and a normal SNR just a lower speed. The dropwire feeds
directly into the NTE5 and there is no other cable joining with the
dropwire, mean every other telephone connection is connection from the
removable faceplate.

I cant see why this would happen, there is no logical reason that I
could find for this happening. Its clear that the problem is not the
microfilters because I did a direct rj11 to rj11 BT without any
microfilter at the test socket.

The only note to make is that BT have been working in the area in the
last 3 week furiously with today BT lorries parked up close to the
green box by the bank, and thats been 2 days. The other times, they
have been at the closest green box to my house.

So who should I be chasing or what should I be doing to get this
matter sorted, is it an ISP problem or a BT?
Old May 22nd 08, 05:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Last Saturday I got a huge amount of high pitched noise
over the phone line.

Could be a BT pairs tracer if it's a rapidly interrupted tone.

The only note to make is that BT have been working in the area in the
last 3 week furiously with today BT lorries parked up close to the
green box by the bank, and thats been 2 days. The other times, they
have been at the closest green box to my house.

Ask them what work they are doing, then wait until they have
finished whatever they are doing, and check your attenuation
and SNR again.
BT are responsible for the wires between you and the
exchange, but if you report anything other than a voice
fault you may get stung for 150 quid. It's your
ISP's responsibility to report BB faults and get them
fixed, which is where the benefits of a good ISP with
a UK call centre, and good customer service becomes
apparent.
A high pitched noise could be reported as a voice
fault and it helps if the operator you are reporting it to
can hear it as well. "Say again, I can't hear you for this
appalling racket, can you get it fixed?"
Old May 22nd 08, 06:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
naza

After a few hours on the phone, Part of the problem was that there was
a cap on the line. Its been removed and speed seem normal, but not
been able to test it at the test socket yet, the phone is in use.

Bandwidth Management has got really sophisticated if they are able to
change the attenuation on the line, if that is the case.
Old May 22nd 08, 07:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

naza wrote:

[...]

BT won't talk to you about it unless you're a BT Broadband customer. You
need to talk to your ISP but God help you if it's one of the major
consumer ones who mostly don't give a rat's arse about anything other than
taking your money.

Graham