Orange disconnected me for not paying but I had..!

Old May 23rd 08, 01:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

Default Orange disconnected me for not paying but I had..!

I've been a customer of Freeserve/Wanadoo/Orange for several years (ok I'm
lazy and can't be bothered changing..!) but yesterday I had a strange
experience.

For no apparent reason, my connection dropped. I'd assumed a problem after
I'd just updated the firmware on my Fritz!Box but no, the bloke in India
told me my account had been suspended for non-payment.

As I pay by direct debit, I couldn't understand this. I assumed then that
the fact that I've recently switched banks may have had something to do
with it, so I agreed with him that I should set up a fresh DD. After this
was done and my account re-enabled, I checked my online banking site and
found that my existing, original DD *had* been correctly transferred, and
the last payment had been taken no less than three days previously.

What is going on here..? Why did they disconnect me for not paying when I
had..? Will they now take two lots of money from my account..?

Ivor

Old May 23rd 08, 03:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Ivor Jones wrote:

[...]

They're nothing other than CROOKS.

Get a decent ISP that doesn't STEAL from you. Also complain to OFCOM.

Graham

Old May 23rd 08, 08:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

"Ivor Jones" wrote

Will they now take two lots of money from my account..?

You have given 2 instruction so of course they will.

Cancel one in writing to them and your bank.

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group
Old May 23rd 08, 08:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Millen

On Fri, 23 May 2008 01:56:56 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

[...]

This doesn't help you, Ivor, but Wanadoo/Orange are clowns here in
Spain as well, and widely known to be so. They're currently pursuing
me for 22 euros they allege (incorrectly) that I owe them, and their
"customer service" number is a (premium rate) joke.

It is not possible to get an email response from any one in CS at
Orange in any country, not even France. I'd cancel *both* DDMs and
jump ship.
--
All the best
David Millen

Old May 24th 08, 07:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ACDeag

Ivor Jones wrote:
[...]

I had this recently when I switched banks. DDs show up in Internet
banking but the beneficiary treats the transfer as cancelling them.
Seems to be a bug in the transfer process that they do not tell you
about. EDF Energy were showing as having been transferred, but for 3
months they did not debit me as they said I had cancelled it, I then got
a rather big bill that needed paying immediately, another magazine
subscription just stopped despite the DD still showing.

It appears the account transfer process is not as good as the banking
industry makes out.

Old May 24th 08, 08:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

Orange used to have good CS, but it was sold on to people who will cut you
off for non payment when you have and then take your money again.

Ask for a statement of account.

Oh yes and move to a respectable provider...

Old May 24th 08, 08:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

What is going on here..? Why did they disconnect me for not paying when
had..? Will they now take two lots of money from my account..?

Almost certainly, and it will need the Financial Controller to
personally authorise a refund, front of house staff aren't
allowed to issue refunds, just
in case they give refunds to friends and family.
I've never done a DD in my life, and just watch my colleagues
coping with DD's that have gone pear shaped, mortgage
payments debited twice, astronomical estimated electricity
usage, etc.
My ISP still takes cheques, it'll be "can I have a MAC"
if they stop.
For online purchases I use a prepay Maestro card with
a small balance, even if they cleaned the card out they
wouldn't get much, and I'd probably get that back if it was
fraud.