Virgin Media & USRobotics Router

Old May 27th 08, 05:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tom Burton

Default Virgin Media & USRobotics Router

Hi Guys - My first question here but I have spent a while lurking - so
please be nice!

I am a Virgin Media customer at 20MB package - I speak as a find them and I
find them to be good! But then again I have had no problems other than my
modem blowing up a couple of years ago and they fixed that quickly and with
no qualms.

Anyway, my problem is thus.

With only one computer swithced on (there are 3 comps and a printer attached
to the router) i am getting the following speeds / figures.

8800kbps - Downstream

735kbps - Upstream

Results here....
http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/res...8792&v=4367033

If i unplug the computer from the router and plug it directly into the modem
i get.....

18924kbps - Downstream
736kbps - Upsteam

Now before i rush out and buy a new broadband router (cabled only - no wifi
are getting hard to find) can anyone tell me what is amiss here?

Whatever time of day i carryout the tests the internet via the router runs
around half speed :-(

The Router is A US Robotics 64-0800-02

As seen here...

http://www.usr-lat.com/support/s-pro...t&prod=8000a02

I have tried resetting all the settings in its control panel to no avail...

Id rather like my full linespeed :-)

Kind Regards and TIA

Tom Burton
www.locodocs.co.uk

Old May 27th 08, 08:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Terry

"Tom Burton" wrote in message
snip
Now before i rush out and buy a new broadband router (cabled only - no
wifi are getting hard to find) can anyone tell me what is amiss here?
Whatever time of day i carryout the tests the internet via the router runs
around half speed :-(
The Router is A US Robotics 64-0800-02

Is that a ADSL2+ router?
You need one for LLU

Steve Terry

Old May 27th 08, 09:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tom Burton

Now before i rush out and buy a new broadband router (cabled only - no
wifi are getting hard to find) can anyone tell me what is amiss here?
Whatever time of day i carryout the tests the internet via the router
runs around half speed :-(
The Router is A US Robotics 64-0800-02

Is that a ADSL2+ router?
You need one for LLU

I should point out that i am using a cable modem connected to the router
with an Ethernet Cable.

Tom Burton

Old May 27th 08, 10:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
max

"Tom Burton" wrote in message

Now before i rush out and buy a new broadband router (cabled only - no
wifi are getting hard to find) can anyone tell me what is amiss here?
Whatever time of day i carryout the tests the internet via the router
runs around half speed :-(
The Router is A US Robotics 64-0800-02

Is that a ADSL2+ router?
You need one for LLU

I should point out that i am using a cable modem connected to the router
with an Ethernet Cable.

Tom Burton

I suspect your router can't handle the WAN/LAN throughput at 20mb - lots of
posts about this last year in virginmedia.users.self-help.networking. Might
be worth posting there.

Old May 27th 08, 10:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
naza

On 27 May, 21:29, "Tom Burton"
wrote:
Now before i rush out and buy a new broadband router (cabled only - no
wifi are getting hard to find) can anyone tell me what is amiss here?
Whatever time of day i carryout the tests the internet via the router
runs around half speed :-(
The Router is A US Robotics 64-0800-02

Is that a ADSL2+ router?
You need one for LLU

I should point out that i am using a cable modem connected to the router
with an Ethernet Cable.

Tom Burton

One possible cause is that the a faulty router. If you have a long
enough ethernet cable then plug the router in another plug socket and
hook it up together. This should sort out the problem. If not, then
most likely the router is sending 'noise' over ethernet at the higher
frequencies, not quite sure what those are for cable, anyway it will
mean you will have to replace the router.

There is a slight chance of this but not likely, but make sure your
ethernet cable which connects your router and PC is not overlapping
the cable connecting your modem to the cable network. Although Coax
cable does have a very good resistance to Electromagnetic Interference
it may be the problem.

Also check that the NIC's on the various PC's are not at fault.
Connect each PC in turn to the modem and see if that causes the low
speed. That will definitely save you a bit of money.
Old May 27th 08, 11:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tom Burton

There is a slight chance of this but not likely, but make sure your
ethernet cable which connects your router and PC is not overlapping
the cable connecting your modem to the cable network. Although Coax
cable does have a very good resistance to Electromagnetic Interference
it may be the problem.

Stuffed inside the same bit of plastic conduit - i never gave it a thought!
I shall try a spare ethernet cable tomorrow!

That said though when i plug the modem directly into the computer i do so by
moving the cable around behind the modem/router which doesnt change the
location of the cables for mor than about 6inches

Also check that the NIC's on the various PC's are not at fault.
Connect each PC in turn to the modem and see if that causes the low
speed. That will definitely save you a bit of money.

Speed is the same on each computer - i unplug any or all of them....

What i suppose i am really wondering is do VM detect and throttle people
using WAN/BB routers?

A family memeber has offered to let me try their more modern router tomorrow
so i will and ill report back!

Thanks Again

Tom

Old May 28th 08, 08:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Carl Waring

Steve Terry wrote:
"Tom Burton" wrote in message
snip
Now before i rush out and buy a new broadband router (cabled only -
no wifi are getting hard to find) can anyone tell me what is amiss
here? Whatever time of day i carryout the tests the internet via the
router runs around half speed :-(
The Router is A US Robotics 64-0800-02

Is that a ADSL2+ router?
You need one for LLU

Steve Terry

As he's on the 20MB package, that's cable and not ADSL therefore he'll need
something that is a ROUTER ONLY, and one that can support 20+MB.

--
Carl Waring
DigiGuide:

Old May 28th 08, 04:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geo

On Tue, 27 May 2008 17:42:18 +0100, "Tom Burton"
wrote:

The Router is A US Robotics 64-0800-02

As seen here...

http://www.usr-lat.com/support/s-pro...t&prod=8000a02

Is the WAN LED on?

"WAN 10/100 LED: The green WAN 10/100 LED is lighted when a 100 Mbps link is
achieved. The LED will be off when a 10 Mbps link is achieved. "

Geo
Old May 28th 08, 09:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick

Tom Burton wrote:
[...]

Almost certainly your router. Look at this chart for a replacement,
you'll be interested in Wan to Lan throughput.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/compo...rt/Itemid,189/

If you use P2P make sure you go for one with a high number of
simultaneous connections.

Kind Regards and TIA

Tom Burton
www.locodocs.co.uk

Old May 28th 08, 11:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tom Burton

I have tried resetting all the settings in its control panel to no
avail...

Id rather like my full linespeed :-)

Almost certainly your router. Look at this chart for a replacement, you'll
be interested in Wan to Lan throughput.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/compo...rt/Itemid,189/

If you use P2P make sure you go for one with a high number of simultaneous
connections.

Pretty much Confirmed...

I have had a look at the list you recommended however most of the top
routers there have WLAN i do not need nor want Wifi - i know its old
fashioned but i have no need and all the cables are installed, i have no
faffing about with security and it throwing hissyfits.

However i have seen this one...

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=731051

Im not sure if the WAN -- LAN throughput is listed - i can't see it in those
terms anythoughts?

I have used ZyXel stuff in the past and found it good and the PSUs blow up
considerably less often then Linksys counterparts.

TIA

Tom