BT Homehub password?

Old May 27th 08, 09:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Starman2112

Default BT Homehub password?

Hi

My BT Homehub has a username of '.

Is there a default password?

Many thanks

Old May 27th 08, 10:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Starman2112 wrote:
Hi

My BT Homehub has a username of '.

Is there a default password?

Many thanks

What password?

Which password (possibly more importantly) ?

Old May 28th 08, 04:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Starman2112

"kraftee" wrote in message
Starman2112 wrote:
Hi

My BT Homehub has a username of '.

Is there a default password?

Many thanks

What password?

Which password (possibly more importantly) ?

The password which allows me to get online (ie 'dialup password' as opposed
to the password which allows me to access the device config).

Regards

Old May 28th 08, 09:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Starman2112 wrote:
"kraftee" wrote in message
Starman2112 wrote:
Hi

My BT Homehub has a username of '.

Is there a default password?

Many thanks

What password?

Which password (possibly more importantly) ?

The password which allows me to get online (ie 'dialup password' as opposed
to the password which allows me to access the device config).

Regards

There may be a default, but its pretty useless, as that password is
between you and your ISP. Who set it up.

Old May 28th 08, 09:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mortimer

Starman2112 wrote:
"kraftee" wrote in message
Starman2112 wrote:
Hi

My BT Homehub has a username of '.

Is there a default password?

Many thanks
What password?

Which password (possibly more importantly) ?

The password which allows me to get online (ie 'dialup password' as
opposed to the password which allows me to access the device config).

Regards

There may be a default, but its pretty useless, as that password is
between you and your ISP. Who set it up.

BT don't seem to validate ADSL username and password, relying on the
identity of your line (phone number etc) to determine who you are. You still
need to supply a username/password for reading your POP email box.

I've seen a number of BT routers (certainly the 220, and maybe the HomeHub
as well) where the username field is a dummy value of the form that you
give, and the router connects perfectly well.

Most other ISPs (PlusNet, Tiscali, AOL) seem to validate the ADSL
username/password and will not allow a connection unless these match the
entry in their accounts database.

Old May 28th 08, 10:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David James

On Wed, 28 May 2008 09:18:59 +0100, Mortimer scribbled:

Starman2112 wrote:
"kraftee" wrote in message
Starman2112 wrote:
[...]

The default DSL connection password used to be formed from the first half
of the email address thus:

would have the password iamstupidtobe but I
used to be able to log in with 'anypasswordilike' before I ditched BT.

IIRC the connection was not really exploitable unless you happened to be
on the same DSLAM. However, I think you were (and still are) able to
exploit some email accounts because of this laziness.
Old May 28th 08, 11:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Starman2112 wrote:
"kraftee" wrote in message
Starman2112 wrote:
Hi

My BT Homehub has a username of '.

Is there a default password?

Many thanks

What password?

Which password (possibly more importantly) ?

The password which allows me to get online (ie 'dialup password' as
opposed to the password which allows me to access the device
config).

Regards

There you, go plenty of answers when you post the complete question & no
most BTInternet home users don't require a password to login with.

Old May 28th 08, 08:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Starman2112

Starman2112 wrote:
"kraftee" wrote in message
Starman2112 wrote:
Hi

My BT Homehub has a username of '.

Is there a default password?

Many thanks
What password?

Which password (possibly more importantly) ?

The password which allows me to get online (ie 'dialup password' as
opposed to the password which allows me to access the device config).

Regards

There may be a default, but its pretty useless, as that password is
between you and your ISP. Who set it up.

BT don't say what that password is.

Old May 29th 08, 08:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Quinton

On Wed, 28 May 2008 09:18:59 +0100, "Mortimer" wrote:

BT don't seem to validate ADSL username and password, relying on the
identity of your line (phone number etc) to determine who you are. You still
need to supply a username/password for reading your POP email box.

I've seen a number of BT routers (certainly the 220, and maybe the HomeHub
as well) where the username field is a dummy value of the form that you
give, and the router connects perfectly well.

I echo that.
I've managed to connectl several neighbours to BT Broadband with_out_
having to use any of their resource-hogging software at all.
--
Locate your Mobile phone: http://www.bizorg.co.uk/news.html
Great gifts: http://www.ThisBritain.com/ASOS_popup.html
Old May 29th 08, 09:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nigel Cliffe

Starman2112 wrote:
"kraftee" wrote in message
Starman2112 wrote:
Hi

My BT Homehub has a username of '.

Is there a default password?

Many thanks

What password?

Which password (possibly more importantly) ?

The password which allows me to get online (ie 'dialup password' as
opposed to the password which allows me to access the device config).

Anything you like.

BT Consumer Broadband does not use a username/password from the router for
validation, and any value is permitted for either parameter (pretty certain
it must be set to something, not blank).

The validation is done via the line which connects; if its a BT consumer
connected DSL line, then a device connecting on that line is permitted to
log-in to the network.

Most other ISPs don't use this approach.

- Nigel (previously employed in BT development, including design of internet
services).

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/