BT line dead but ADSL ok..

Old May 28th 08, 07:58 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

Default BT line dead but ADSL ok..

I've heard this can happen, but never come across it before, certainly not
at home. Our BT line (which serves no purpose other than as a vessel for
ADSL) is totally dead, with no power to the line (dead phone) but the
broadband is fine.

The fault has been reported to BT and the automatic system (never spoke to
a human for the duration of the call..!) said it was likely to be a fault
at the exchange. Any ideas what would cause this and how long for
repairs..? The system said tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath.

Still, as most of our calls go via VoIP it's not a major problem, but I'm
intrigued as to how it can happen and why. The weather has been pretty
foul here for the last few days if that's anything to do with it.

Ivor

Old May 28th 08, 08:18 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

I've heard this can happen, but never come across it before, certainly not
at home. Our BT line (which serves no purpose other than as a vessel for
ADSL) is totally dead, with no power to the line (dead phone) but the
broadband is fine.

The fault has been reported to BT and the automatic system (never spoke to
a human for the duration of the call..!) said it was likely to be a fault
at the exchange. Any ideas what would cause this and how long for
repairs..? The system said tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath.

Still, as most of our calls go via VoIP it's not a major problem, but I'm
intrigued as to how it can happen and why. The weather has been pretty
foul here for the last few days if that's anything to do with it.

The ADSL and voice equipment at the exchange are quite separate. One can
fail and not the other.

Line faults can also cause these symptoms. A broken joint on one leg of the
pair will kill voice stone dead, but ADSL may be relatively unaffected.
Comparison of attenuation and SNR margin before and after the fault will
usually show more attenuation and poorer SNR margin when such a fault is
present.

--
Graham J

Old May 28th 08, 08:36 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband

On Wed, 28 May 2008 19:58:08 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

Still, as most of our calls go via VoIP it's not a major problem, but I'm
intrigued as to how it can happen and why. The weather has been pretty
foul here for the last few days if that's anything to do with it.

Voice half of the line nackered adsl half ok to put it in simple terms
Ivor If I am not exactly right I bet it is something along those lines
but I have read reports a while back probably here about people still
being able to use Internet when the phone line has been discontinued .
One another subject the new toy went back to Tesco within three hours
of getting it three reasons 1 the outer cover of its box was torn and
resembled being dragged through the mud 2 the box itself looked like
it had been kicked round the Tesco direct warehouse a dozen times 3
and the main reason . On the box was a sticker saying to register the
phone call 0871 ******* for help call 07141 I think ********* a
mobile phone number anyway which could not be used with free mobile
minutes and chargeable at 25p a minute from any phone .
NO CHANCE )) .
Old May 28th 08, 09:07 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

I've heard this can happen, but never come across it before, certainly not
at home. Our BT line (which serves no purpose other than as a vessel for
ADSL) is totally dead, with no power to the line (dead phone) but the
broadband is fine.

The fault has been reported to BT and the automatic system (never spoke to
a human for the duration of the call..!) said it was likely to be a fault
at the exchange. Any ideas what would cause this and how long for
repairs..? The system said tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath.

Still, as most of our calls go via VoIP it's not a major problem, but I'm
intrigued as to how it can happen and why. The weather has been pretty
foul here for the last few days if that's anything to do with it.

Ivor

BT managed this on my line within a day of installation!

They weaselled a bit, but it was exchange command.

Old May 29th 08, 01:47 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Perhaps you should keep quiet and stop paying the line rental....,
well, they could not blame you,
just wait for the threatening letters ?

Old May 29th 08, 02:49 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Jim!

wrote:

I've heard this can happen, but never come across it before, certainly not
at home. Our BT line (which serves no purpose other than as a vessel for
ADSL) is totally dead, with no power to the line (dead phone) but the
broadband is fine.

The fault has been reported to BT and the automatic system (never spoke to
a human for the duration of the call..!) said it was likely to be a fault
at the exchange. Any ideas what would cause this and how long for
repairs..? The system said tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath.

Still, as most of our calls go via VoIP it's not a major problem, but I'm
intrigued as to how it can happen and why. The weather has been pretty
foul here for the last few days if that's anything to do with it.

Ivor

As some of the other have suggested ... I would say it's DIS One Leg
somewhere in the network .... perhaps at the PCP or maybe a joint
close by ...

It's a common fault, have seen a lot of these over the last couple of
years. If the 151 advisor requests a RAT test it will show as a
fault, and one of the local engineers will pick it up ...

Good Luck

Jim!
Old May 29th 08, 04:46 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 29/05/2008 in message Jim!
wrote:

If the 151 advisor requests a RAT test

As in some small furry b*astard has eaten through the cable?

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
640k ought to be enough for anyone.
Old May 29th 08, 05:38 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Andrews

"Jeff Gaines" wrote in message
On 29/05/2008 in message Jim!
wrote:

If the 151 advisor requests a RAT test

As in some small furry b*astard has eaten through the cable?

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
640k ought to be enough for anyone.
(Bill Gates, 1981)

My guess is Remote Access Test but then the last time I maintained that type
of equipment it was SALT (Subs Apparatus Line Test) driven IIRC by
uniselectors and relays!! It was a very long time ago.

Peter

Old May 29th 08, 05:43 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

Jim! wrote:

If the 151 advisor requests a RAT test

As in some small furry b*astard has eaten through the cable?

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
640k ought to be enough for anyone.
(Bill Gates, 1981)

My guess is Remote Access Test but then the last time I maintained that
type of equipment it was SALT (Subs Apparatus Line Test) driven IIRC by
uniselectors and relays!! It was a very long time ago.

Uniselectors?????
Get some time in.
What about linefinders?
;-)