Checking DACS situation before reconnecting line

Old May 31st 08, 10:32 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Doughboy

Default Checking DACS situation before reconnecting line

I want to get my BT line reconnected so I can get ADSL broadband, so I
phoned BT to ask whether there's a DACS on my line. All they said was
that if there was it would be up to my broadband provider to arrange
for it to be removed.

I'm not happy about the possibility of paying to have the line
reconnected and signing a contract with a broadband provider only to
find my connection's rubbish due to the presence of a DACS and then
perhaps find that my provider has trouble getting BT to remove it.

Is there anything I can do to ensure my line won't have a DACS on it
before I get it reconnected or am I worrying too much and would BT
remove one if present as soon as asked by my provider?

Doughboy
Old May 31st 08, 10:41 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Doughboy wrote:

I want to get my BT line reconnected so I can get ADSL broadband, so I
phoned BT to ask whether there's a DACS on my line. All they said was
that if there was it would be up to my broadband provider to arrange
for it to be removed.

I'm not happy about the possibility of paying to have the line
reconnected and signing a contract with a broadband provider only to
find my connection's rubbish due to the presence of a DACS and then
perhaps find that my provider has trouble getting BT to remove it.

Is there anything I can do to ensure my line won't have a DACS on it
before I get it reconnected or am I worrying too much and would BT
remove one if present as soon as asked by my provider?

How much are they planning to charge you to reconnect the line ?

It might make as much sense to request a new line (sans DACS).

Graham

Old May 31st 08, 10:52 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

I want to get my BT line reconnected so I can get ADSL broadband, so I
phoned BT to ask whether there's a DACS on my line. All they said was
that if there was it would be up to my broadband provider to arrange
for it to be removed.

I'm not happy about the possibility of paying to have the line
reconnected and signing a contract with a broadband provider only to
find my connection's rubbish due to the presence of a DACS and then
perhaps find that my provider has trouble getting BT to remove it.

Is there anything I can do to ensure my line won't have a DACS on it
before I get it reconnected or am I worrying too much and would BT
remove one if present as soon as asked by my provider?

Choose an ISP such as Plusnet that will arrange for the line to be connected
at the same time as broadband. If there is a DACS and it cannot be removed
the order will be rejected by BT.

Peter Crosland

Old May 31st 08, 11:12 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Peter Crosland wrote:

[...]

You mean as in using PN as a telco i.e. 100% LLU'd ?

Graham

Old June 1st 08, 02:25 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Doughboy

On Sat, 31 May 2008 22:41:06 +0100, Eeyore
wrote:

Doughboy wrote:

I want to get my BT line reconnected so I can get ADSL broadband, so I
phoned BT to ask whether there's a DACS on my line. All they said was
that if there was it would be up to my broadband provider to arrange
for it to be removed.

I'm not happy about the possibility of paying to have the line
reconnected and signing a contract with a broadband provider only to
find my connection's rubbish due to the presence of a DACS and then
perhaps find that my provider has trouble getting BT to remove it.

Is there anything I can do to ensure my line won't have a DACS on it
before I get it reconnected or am I worrying too much and would BT
remove one if present as soon as asked by my provider?

How much are they planning to charge you to reconnect the line ?

It might make as much sense to request a new line (sans DACS).

Graham

I'm planning on taking the offer currently available for installation
for 30.

I haven't had a BT service here for about 8 years so I don't know if
there's still a line that can be reconnected but when I previously
enquired I was told that I would have to pay the full installation
charge (I didn't discuss the offer at that time as I just wanted to
find out the situation). Are you saying that if I request a new line
rather than a reconnect, I can stipulate it must be without DACS?

Doughboy
Old June 1st 08, 02:30 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Doughboy

On Sat, 31 May 2008 22:52:52 +0100, "Peter Crosland"
wrote:

[...]

I'm planning on using BT for line rental and going with Be or O2 for
BB and as far as I know, they require me to have a working line before
I can sign-up with them.

Doughboy
Old June 1st 08, 03:00 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Doughboy wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Doughboy wrote:

[...]

Installation of what exactly ?

I haven't had a BT service here for about 8 years so I don't know if
there's still a line that can be reconnected but when I previously
enquired I was told that I would have to pay the full installation
charge

So, they've dropped price this now ?

(I didn't discuss the offer at that time as I just wanted to
find out the situation). Are you saying that if I request a new line
rather than a reconnect, I can stipulate it must be without DACS?

I 'believe' so because it's a *new* line and shouldn't require a DACS. But a
new line is ~ 125.

Graham

Old June 1st 08, 03:02 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Doughboy wrote:

"Peter Crosland"

Choose an ISP such as Plusnet that will arrange for the line to be connected
at the same time as broadband. If there is a DACS and it cannot be removed
the order will be rejected by BT.

Peter Crosland

I'm planning on using BT for line rental and going with Be or O2 for
BB and as far as I know, they require me to have a working line before
I can sign-up with them.

Hmmmmm, I believe some of the better ISPs can do a 'parallel' order actually.
Andrews and Arnold come to mind. You should ask around. I'd ask Idnet too.

Graham

Old June 1st 08, 08:17 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Doughboy

On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 03:00:01 +0100, Eeyore
wrote:

Doughboy wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Doughboy wrote:

[...]

The offer is 95 discount off the standard new line connection charge
of 125.

I haven't had a BT service here for about 8 years so I don't know if
there's still a line that can be reconnected but when I previously
enquired I was told that I would have to pay the full installation
charge

So, they've dropped price this now ?

See above

(I didn't discuss the offer at that time as I just wanted to
find out the situation). Are you saying that if I request a new line
rather than a reconnect, I can stipulate it must be without DACS?

I 'believe' so because it's a *new* line and shouldn't require a DACS. But a
new line is ~ 125.

I'd be nervous that they might just stick a DACS on a neighbours line
to provide me with my new line, unless they've promised not to in
advance.

Doughboy
Old June 1st 08, 08:24 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Doughboy

On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 03:02:20 +0100, Eeyore
wrote:

Doughboy wrote:

"Peter Crosland"

Choose an ISP such as Plusnet that will arrange for the line to be connected
at the same time as broadband. If there is a DACS and it cannot be removed
the order will be rejected by BT.

Peter Crosland

I'm planning on using BT for line rental and going with Be or O2 for
BB and as far as I know, they require me to have a working line before
I can sign-up with them.

Hmmmmm, I believe some of the better ISPs can do a 'parallel' order actually.
Andrews and Arnold come to mind. You should ask around. I'd ask Idnet too.

Graham

Thanks, but Idnet's download limits rule it out for me and I'd have to
pay the full line connection charge if I did it through anyone but BT.

Doughboy