A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

Best ADSL service/company to use (3.5km from exchange)



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old June 1st 08, 04:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Darren
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7
Default Best ADSL service/company to use (3.5km from exchange)

Hello

I have read some disappointing news on the BT website ADSL checker, it
says this:


"For Telephone Number 02392xxxxxx on Exchange PORTSMOUTH
Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line
indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband
service that provides a line rate up to 1Mbps. However due to the
length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit
who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.


Our initial test on your line indicates that your line may not support
a reliable ADSL Max broadband service, with current technology.
However, an order for 250Kbps broadband speed will still be accepted,
but an engineer may need to visit who will, where possible, supply the
service.

Our initial test on your line indicates that your line may not support
a reliable ADSL WBC broadband service, with current technology.
However, an order for 250Kbps broadband speed will still be accepted,
but an engineer may need to visit who will, where possible, supply the
service."

This doesn't sound very promising, i have done a distance "as crow
flies" check and it says I am 3.5km from the exchange.

What service should I get?

I notice that NewNet offer ADSL2+ in Portsmouth - but will ADSL2+
really benefit me?

Am i better off getting ADSL Max, if so who with? Or a fixed service?

Ideally i don't want a 12 month contract, i want the fastest reliable
service available to me

Newnet offer 3 month contracts and LLU in portsmouth - maybe this is
the best bet?



  #2  
Old June 1st 08, 09:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,765
Default Best ADSL service/company to use (3.5km from exchange)

Darren wrote:
Hello

I have read some disappointing news on the BT website ADSL checker,
it says this:


"For Telephone Number 02392xxxxxx on Exchange PORTSMOUTH
Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line
indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband
service that provides a line rate up to 1Mbps. However due to the
length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit
who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.


Our initial test on your line indicates that your line may not
support a reliable ADSL Max broadband service, with current
technology. However, an order for 250Kbps broadband speed will
still be accepted, but an engineer may need to visit who will,
where possible, supply the service.

Our initial test on your line indicates that your line may not
support a reliable ADSL WBC broadband service, with current
technology. However, an order for 250Kbps broadband speed will
still be accepted, but an engineer may need to visit who will,
where possible, supply the service."

This doesn't sound very promising, i have done a distance "as crow
flies" check and it says I am 3.5km from the exchange.

What service should I get?

I notice that NewNet offer ADSL2+ in Portsmouth - but will ADSL2+
really benefit me?

Am i better off getting ADSL Max, if so who with? Or a fixed
service?

Ideally i don't want a 12 month contract, i want the fastest
reliable service available to me

Newnet offer 3 month contracts and LLU in portsmouth - maybe this is
the best bet?


doesn't matter who you go with if the network is crap, the network is crap &
there aren't anything you can do about it.

Best bet is choose the ISP which fits your bill & go with them, hoping that
they can sort out any 'snags' (don't go cheap)...


  #3  
Old June 1st 08, 11:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 227
Default Best ADSL service/company to use (3.5km from exchange)

Darren wrote:
Hello

I have read some disappointing news on the BT website ADSL checker, it
says this:



Have you tried looking at VirginMedia Cable.


  #4  
Old June 2nd 08, 12:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 529
Default Best ADSL service/company to use (3.5km from exchange)


Ideally i don't want a 12 month contract, i want the fastest reliable
service available to me.


Speed is governed limited by the physical line, it's resistance,
capacitance etc, and there is no way to get round this 3 or
more km..
What you need is an ISP with good UK based, preferably
free by email customer service, and cheap calls by
landline, and one month contract, Zen or IDnet are
possibles.
The higher grades of ADSL won't help, but a modem
with a long/difficult line flash might. I'm using the
UK2 line flash, as far as I can judge it just raises
the high frequency gain to try to lift what signal there
is at the high frequencies above the noise.
It improved my speed.
Then you need to make sure you local domestic
wiring isn't syphoning off the signal or picking up
noise. Fax machines, extension phones and ringers,
caller ID units don't help. Energy saving lamps,
switch mode PSU's, and various other devices
can produce noise.
Locate the modem/router next to the
incoming line and use CAT5 to carry the
ethernet, rather than use an extension phone
cable.
Sort out the filtering, I chained two filters
on the phones side, ADSL going straight
through the first, also use a filtered or premium
grade filter, or filtered NTE5 faceplate.
..
  #5  
Old June 2nd 08, 03:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 848
Default Best ADSL service/company to use (3.5km from exchange)

Been there done that, my line is 3.9km and subject to unpredictable noise
spikes.

As others said, there is nothing YOU or an ISP can do about the line, and BT
/ Openreach probably won't.
On the other hand the ADSL checker is often unduly pessimistic.
I would suggest that you go with www.plus.net:
a. go for the cheapest £9.99 option 1 to start with, you don want to pay a
lot for what might be 250kbps.
b. they are very good on customer service, via their website or ordinary
phone line.
c. while they are independently run, they are owned by BT, and know how to
get BT to do their job.

While ADSL2 will be of no help on any line with more then 49dB attenuation
(mine is 51dB),
some ADSL2+ capable routers work better on long / bad lines.
After trying different routers I found that BT1801HG (made in US by 2Wire)
works lot better on my line then other expensive routers (and has got a
great WiFi too). You can find one,or the later BT2700HG, on eBay at very
good prices.
Regards,
Martin
PS If you do go with PlusNet please use my ID 'wester' as a referrer and
save me few pence, thanks.



  #6  
Old June 2nd 08, 04:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,000
Default Best ADSL service/company to use (3.5km from exchange)

Darren wrote:
Hello

I have read some disappointing news on the BT website ADSL checker, it
says this:


"For Telephone Number 02392xxxxxx on Exchange PORTSMOUTH
Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line
indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband
service that provides a line rate up to 1Mbps. However due to the
length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit
who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.


Our initial test on your line indicates that your line may not support
a reliable ADSL Max broadband service, with current technology.
However, an order for 250Kbps broadband speed will still be accepted,
but an engineer may need to visit who will, where possible, supply the
service.

Our initial test on your line indicates that your line may not support
a reliable ADSL WBC broadband service, with current technology.
However, an order for 250Kbps broadband speed will still be accepted,
but an engineer may need to visit who will, where possible, supply the
service."

This doesn't sound very promising, i have done a distance "as crow
flies" check and it says I am 3.5km from the exchange.

What service should I get?


Since the majorty of ISPs will use BT's DSLAM and the line,it makes sod
all difference to what PEAK speeds you will get.

I notice that NewNet offer ADSL2+ in Portsmouth - but will ADSL2+
really benefit me?

Am i better off getting ADSL Max, if so who with? Or a fixed service?

Borderline. I would think you should get a bit over a meg,but a lot
depends in teh area the line goes through. If its crossing a heavy
industrial area with lots of arcs and sparks, or passing under a MW
transmitter..if you have a friendly HAM in te area yelping his kilowatts
over the AM band etc etc..


Ideally i don't want a 12 month contract, i want the fastest reliable
service available to me

Newnet offer 3 month contracts and LLU in portsmouth - maybe this is
the best bet?

You might ge a bit more with LLU: they might push the power up a bit ..


  #7  
Old June 2nd 08, 05:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Klunk
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 98
Default Best ADSL service/company to use (3.5km from exchange)

On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 16:25:31 +0100, The Natural Philosopher passed an
empty day by writing:

You might ge a bit more with LLU: they might push the power up a bit ..


Man, is this uk.telecom.broadband.oldwivestales?

  #8  
Old June 2nd 08, 06:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
chris
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Best ADSL service/company to use (3.5km from exchange)

On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 03:12:26 +0100, Martin² wrote:

Been there done that, my line is 3.9km and subject to unpredictable
noise spikes.

As others said, there is nothing YOU or an ISP can do about the line,
and BT / Openreach probably won't.
On the other hand the ADSL checker is often unduly pessimistic. I would
suggest that you go with www.plus.net: a. go for the cheapest £9.99
option 1 to start with, you don want to pay a lot for what might be
250kbps.
b. they are very good on customer service, via their website or ordinary
phone line.
c. while they are independently run, they are owned by BT, and know how
to get BT to do their job.

While ADSL2 will be of no help on any line with more then 49dB
attenuation (mine is 51dB),


I got a max of 2.4 Mbit/s on my 63 dB line with BT's standard ADSL. Since
moving to Be There I get up to 3.4 Mbit/s (typically 3), with a lowest-
ever figure of 2.5.

Chris
  #9  
Old June 2nd 08, 11:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,765
Default Best ADSL service/company to use (3.5km from exchange)

Klunk wrote:
On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 16:25:31 +0100, The Natural Philosopher passed
an empty day by writing:

You might ge a bit more with LLU: they might push the power up a
bit ..


Man, is this uk.telecom.broadband.oldwivestales?


Goes & checks............................................

Not this end it isn't


  #10  
Old June 2nd 08, 11:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,765
Default Best ADSL service/company to use (3.5km from exchange)

chris wrote:
On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 03:12:26 +0100, Martin² wrote:

Been there done that, my line is 3.9km and subject to unpredictable
noise spikes.

As others said, there is nothing YOU or an ISP can do about the
line, and BT / Openreach probably won't.
On the other hand the ADSL checker is often unduly pessimistic. I
would suggest that you go with www.plus.net: a. go for the
cheapest £9.99 option 1 to start with, you don want to pay a lot
for what might be 250kbps.
b. they are very good on customer service, via their website or
ordinary phone line.
c. while they are independently run, they are owned by BT, and
know how to get BT to do their job.

While ADSL2 will be of no help on any line with more then 49dB
attenuation (mine is 51dB),


I got a max of 2.4 Mbit/s on my 63 dB line with BT's standard ADSL.
Since moving to Be There I get up to 3.4 Mbit/s (typically 3), with
a lowest- ever figure of 2.5.

Chris


Funny that I was on the top SKY package (LLU) & was getting a 'stabalish'
3Mbps. As you can see I'm now with BT Internet (standard Max DSL) & am
getting a very stable 5Mbps +.

Just goes to show each individual line has to be treated on it's own merits,
we can generalise till the cows have gone home & back out again but it won't
make any difference with what actually happens when service is applied to
the line...


 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moving house within the same telephone exchange - continuation of service? David Wright uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 24 October 31st 06 12:51 PM
ADSL today on my exchange, how soon will I get ADSL activated? [email protected] uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 4 May 5th 05 01:00 PM
Why no adsl at 4km from the exchange Ash uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 20 November 9th 03 09:50 AM
Which satellite ISP? (BT exchange 5.5km, no ADSL,) Phil uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 0 July 5th 03 07:56 PM
Which satellite ISP? (BT exchange 5.5km, no ADSL,) Phil uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 0 July 5th 03 07:56 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright ©2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.