New router and Netgear SC101

Old June 2nd 08, 11:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Cheeky

Default New router and Netgear SC101

I've had to switch routers and now my Netgear SC101 is telling me
that, essentially, it is unformatted and I have to start again.

The two routers have slightly different set-ups (one Belkin and one
D-Link) and different IP addresses - one is 192.168.2.x and the other
192.168.1.x .

Is there any way I can get the drive recognised again or di I have to
start from scratch?

TIA
Old June 3rd 08, 12:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 23:51:54 +0100
Cheeky wrote:

I've had to switch routers and now my Netgear SC101 is telling me
that, essentially, it is unformatted and I have to start again.

Are you sure that's what it's saying? I'd have thought it was much
more likely that the drive mapping is messed up and the PC thinks
it needs to create a file system because it's not talking to the SC101
properly.

The two routers have slightly different set-ups (one Belkin and one
D-Link) and different IP addresses - one is 192.168.2.x and the other
192.168.1.x .

Is there any way I can get the drive recognised again or di I have to
start from scratch?

Why not configure the new router to use the same LAN settings as the old
one. Or am I missing something?

Old June 3rd 08, 07:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Donald Campbell

In article , Cheeky
writes
I've had to switch routers and now my Netgear SC101 is telling me
that, essentially, it is unformatted and I have to start again.

The two routers have slightly different set-ups (one Belkin and one
D-Link) and different IP addresses - one is 192.168.2.x and the other
192.168.1.x .

Is there any way I can get the drive recognised again or di I have to
start from scratch?

TIA

If you run the management software it will look to build some more
drives on what ever bit of disk is left on the drives. So it may look
like it wants to start from scratch, the there is a drive(s) there.

Don C

Old June 3rd 08, 10:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Cheeky

Cheeky wrote:

I've had to switch routers and now my Netgear SC101 is telling me
that, essentially, it is unformatted and I have to start again.

Are you sure that's what it's saying? I'd have thought it was much
more likely that the drive mapping is messed up and the PC thinks
it needs to create a file system because it's not talking to the SC101
properly.

That's definitely what it was saying. However... it seems a reboot, a
detach and a re-attach has sorted the problem.

Must admit I'm slightly disappointed in the way all this works. I'd
assumed it would just sit on the network as a network drive without
having to install software on all client PCs. Should have done my
homework a bit better!

The two routers have slightly different set-ups (one Belkin and one
D-Link) and different IP addresses - one is 192.168.2.x and the other
192.168.1.x .

Is there any way I can get the drive recognised again or di I have to
start from scratch?

Why not configure the new router to use the same LAN settings as the old
one. Or am I missing something?

Didn't think of that. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old June 3rd 08, 10:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Cheeky

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 19:30:04 +0100, Donald Campbell
wrote:

In article , Cheeky
writes
I've had to switch routers and now my Netgear SC101 is telling me
that, essentially, it is unformatted and I have to start again.

The two routers have slightly different set-ups (one Belkin and one
D-Link) and different IP addresses - one is 192.168.2.x and the other
192.168.1.x .

Is there any way I can get the drive recognised again or di I have to
start from scratch?

TIA

If you run the management software it will look to build some more
drives on what ever bit of disk is left on the drives. So it may look
like it wants to start from scratch, the there is a drive(s) there.

Don C

Thanks Don. Seems to be sorted now.