3 payg mobile broadband

Old June 5th 08, 12:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default 3 payg mobile broadband

This offering from 3 - 50 for the modem, and 15 for 3GB -is looking
like an attractive proposition- has anyone had any experience? My
questions would be: can you get Linux or Windows Me drivers for it,
and can it be unlocked?
Old June 5th 08, 12:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Thu, 5 Jun 2008 11:02:48 +0100, "John Burke"
wrote:

I don't like their customer service.

What don't you like about them John could it be because they are in
India or somewhere and you cannot understand half that they are
saying?.
I have a 3 mobile and this the only complaint I have regarding 3
but I have only called CS twice about two very trivial matters anyway.

Old June 5th 08, 07:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
xCx

wrote:
This offering from 3 - 50 for the modem, and 15 for 3GB -is looking
like an attractive proposition- has anyone had any experience? My
questions would be: can you get Linux or Windows Me drivers for it,
and can it be unlocked?

www.play.com are doing it for 39.99, exactly the same, plus,
if you buy it through www.quidco.com you'll get cashback, or,
if you have a nectar card and buy it through their estores
link you'll get nectar points for it.

The one on play has quite good support for Linux.

--
xCx
Old June 5th 08, 11:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Thu, 5 Jun 2008 21:19:00 +0100, "John Burke"
wrote:

1. I had to navigate a non-user friendly menu several times to eventually
obtain a human contact.

Having had few years of this with Blueyonder now Virgin media and BT I
have kind a got used to it .

3. Their later email response completely ignored the issue I'd raised

However, 1, 2 & 3 do seem to be industry standard now IME.

I expect to here a live human voice when ever I ring some company or
other but it looks like I am going to have to expect for a long time
because I am convinced it just ain't going to happen anymore. I called
3 this afternoon and wanted to speak with a human myself but could not
get even near to one 1,2,3,etc etc etc was all I was getting so gave
up in the end . I was actually wanting some more info regarding the BB
offering not to worry it is their loss not mine when I first went
through the sign up already having an account with them they where
wanting only 7.50 a month but I backed out decided to have a little
think . About an hour later went back in did the sign up thing again
this time however they where wanting 7.50 for the dongle AND 7.50
for the BB account a month which was the reason for me contacting them
to get clarification .

Old June 8th 08, 10:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 00:07:50 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

Sounds like a contract under another name to me, surely if it's Pay As You
Go the credit should be good for as long as I keep it active..? On my
phone the credit stays live as long as a call is made every 180 days, why
is this different..?

I wouldn't touch "pay has you go" Ivor unless you only intend using it
a few times a year I have a payg phone on Virgin which hasn't even
been switched on since I came back from Belgium three months ago
and won't be until August when I go again . I have a 3 contract phone
for everyday use so I will get the mobile broadband for 7.50 a month
and the modem is free which I intend ordering at some point today .

Old June 8th 08, 10:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Soruk

wrote:
This offering from 3 - 50 for the modem, and 15 for 3GB -is looking
like an attractive proposition- has anyone had any experience?

I've been using it successfuly for 2 months now.

I don't like their customer service.

My questions would be: can you get Linux or Windows Me drivers for it,

It self-installs its own drivers and won't work without usb 2.0.

My sister has one working in Win2000 on USB1.1. It shouldn't need USB2 as
its peak speed is 3.6Mbit/sec which is way below the ceiling 11Mbit/sec of
USB1.1.

Recent Linux distros work with it just fine (I got hers working on my
Fedora 6 laptop), but in Windows, it's only Win2000/XP/Vista.

I don't know if its OS specific.

They only advertise it as Windows and MacOSX, but recent Linux kernels
also include drivers.