Sky BB - getting slower by the day

Old June 9th 08, 10:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Lynch

Default Sky BB - getting slower by the day

Ever since last weekend (when we had a 1-day unplanned outage, well
I hadn't planned it :-( ) my connections been getting worse.
Apart from it taking a nap at frequent intervals, where the connnection
just freezes for maybe 30 minutes, then pops back up, the speed had
dropped considerably.
I get the Max package and have, until recently, been getting IIRC
11025 Kb/s download speeds according to the stats page on the router.
This is corroborated by actual downloads of 1MByte/s
I noticed during last week that things were not as they should be,
looking at the router status yesterday, it was reporting a download
speed of 3328Kb/s - today it's down to 3072Kb/s. At this rate I'll
have to unplug it in a couple of weeks as it'll be sucking data _out_
of my network. The router stats, however, are fantanstic: they show
an 18.5dB noise margin for d/l and 23.5dB for u/l - though at a paltry
412Kb/s

I have heard that this is all part of Sky's "improvements" - has anyone
else been improved recently, to the point were Sky have dropped your
speeds to less than 1/3rd what it was, but still charge you the same for
it?

--
.. Pete Lynch I have learned from my mistakes and
.. Marlow ... I am sure I can repeat them exactly
Old June 9th 08, 11:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

Peter Lynch wrote:

: I have heard that this is all part of Sky's "improvements" - has anyone
: else been improved recently, to the point were Sky have dropped your
: speeds to less than 1/3rd what it was, but still charge you the same for
: it?

No - it is still easily the fastest (and cheapest) Broadband I have ever
had.
Old June 9th 08, 11:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
slider

"Brian McIlwrath" wrote in message
Peter Lynch wrote:

: I have heard that this is all part of Sky's "improvements" - has anyone
: else been improved recently, to the point were Sky have dropped your
: speeds to less than 1/3rd what it was, but still charge you the same for
: it?

No - it is still easily the fastest (and cheapest) Broadband I have ever
had.

I have no problems whatsoever with Sky BB? Are you 100% sure the problem is
not with your internal wiring?
When I first got Sky BB (March 2007) I had a torid time with frequent drop
outs. I tweaked my wiring and my connection has been faultless ever since.

Old June 9th 08, 03:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jones

On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 09:32:31 GMT, Peter Lynch wrote:

I have heard that this is all part of Sky's "improvements" - has anyone
else been improved recently, to the point were Sky have dropped your
speeds to less than 1/3rd what it was, but still charge you the same for
it?

I must be doing something wrong...no complaints from me
about SkyBB.

Jones
Old June 9th 08, 07:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
critcher

"Jones" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 09:32:31 GMT, Peter Lynch wrote:

I have heard that this is all part of Sky's "improvements" - has anyone
else been improved recently, to the point were Sky have dropped your
speeds to less than 1/3rd what it was, but still charge you the same for
it?

I must be doing something wrong...no complaints from me
about SkyBB.

Jones

critcher said................................

try changing your dns server, go to http://openDNS.com
and follow the instructions, I find that sometimes their dns servers go a
bit slow.

Old June 9th 08, 07:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
critcher

"critcher" wrote in message

"Jones" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 09:32:31 GMT, Peter Lynch wrote:

I have heard that this is all part of Sky's "improvements" - has anyone
else been improved recently, to the point were Sky have dropped your
speeds to less than 1/3rd what it was, but still charge you the same for
it?

I must be doing something wrong...no complaints from me
about SkyBB.

Jones

try changing your dns server, go to http://openDNS.com
and follow the instructions, I find that sometimes their dns servers go a
bit slow.
sorry mean't sky dns servers