New to Broadband - Would Sky BB be OK for me ?

Old June 10th 08, 07:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin

Default New to Broadband - Would Sky BB be OK for me ?

I'm on dial up at present, 3 machines one of which on Windows98.

Sky has recently added their complete broadband service to my local
exchange.

Is it possible to keep a dial up connection for use in an emergency as well
as having broadband ?

Does broadband automatically connect when you open the browser ?

Can broadband users receive POP3 mail via Outlook Express ?

Are all email messages sent via a web interface ?

Does BT need to check the drop wire from the pole to my property and/or
internal wiring ?

I am happy with my current dial up arrangements but occasionally need to
download 100mb of software which last time I did this took 6 hours. Also
with broadband it would make viewing short video clips less hassle.

Any info or website that addresses my concerns would be welcome as it would
help me make a decision.

Martin.

Old June 10th 08, 08:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Martin" wrote in message
I'm on dial up at present, 3 machines one of which on Windows98.

Sky has recently added their complete broadband service to my local
exchange.

Is it possible to keep a dial up connection for use in an emergency as
well as having broadband ?

Yes.

Does broadband automatically connect when you open the browser ?

Its normally connected.

Can broadband users receive POP3 mail via Outlook Express ?

Yes, Sky use google to provide mail and that works fine.

Are all email messages sent via a web interface ?

If you want, or not if you don't.

Does BT need to check the drop wire from the pole to my property and/or
internal wiring ?

What for?
(No).

I am happy with my current dial up arrangements but occasionally need to
download 100mb of software which last time I did this took 6 hours. Also
with broadband it would make viewing short video clips less hassle.

If you are a sky TV subscriber the free package would be far better than
dial up.

Any info or website that addresses my concerns would be welcome as it
would help me make a decision.

www.skyuser.co.uk

Martin.

Old June 10th 08, 11:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

[email protected] wrote:
"Martin" wrote in message
I'm on dial up at present, 3 machines one of which on Windows98.

Sky has recently added their complete broadband service to my local
exchange.

Is it possible to keep a dial up connection for use in an
emergency as well as having broadband ?

Yes.

Does broadband automatically connect when you open the browser ?

Its normally connected.

If the router is left on & the user doesn't get infected with any third
party dialling viri (yes they would be susceptable if they are still
keeping an analogue modem connected & configured on the machine)

Can broadband users receive POP3 mail via Outlook Express ?

Yes, Sky use google to provide mail and that works fine.

Are all email messages sent via a web interface ?

If you want, or not if you don't.

Does BT need to check the drop wire from the pole to my property
and/or internal wiring ?

What for?
(No).

They will if there is a problem, but you won't know you've got one until
you've got DSL.

Old June 10th 08, 11:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Does BT need to check the drop wire from the pole to my property and/or
internal wiring ?

About the only issue I can think of that might require a visit is if
you have one of the older connection boxes, not the sort you plug a
phone straight into :-}

Sky works well for me !

As for download speed, depending on what your line attenuation is etc.
(mine is fairly high as i'm about 3.5km from the exchange) - i'm
getting 680-720k/sec - so 100Mb would download by the time you brew
yourself a cuppa :-)