Lost Broadband - Who's Responsible?

Old June 10th 08, 09:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Toby T

Default Lost Broadband - Who's Responsible?

I've used Sky BB for about a year now and have been fairly happy with them
(albeit only at about 1.5Mbps). A couple of weeks ago I simply couldn't
sync at all and haven't been able to since. BT have been and said that the
exchange was fine, but the broadband just wasn't getting through to my
house. Sky have requested another BT engineer ("with a Hawk") but said if
he can't fix it then I simply can't have broadband any more and I'll have to
cancel my contract with them.

I suppose Sky aren't obliged to give me broadband if the problem's with BT's
line?

Does anyone know if I can request (make) BT fix the line to such a quality
that I can get broadband again?

Thanks for any help

Toby T

Old June 10th 08, 09:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Toby T wrote:
I've used Sky BB for about a year now and have been fairly happy with them
(albeit only at about 1.5Mbps). A couple of weeks ago I simply couldn't
sync at all and haven't been able to since. BT have been and said that the
exchange was fine, but the broadband just wasn't getting through to my
house. Sky have requested another BT engineer ("with a Hawk") but said if
he can't fix it then I simply can't have broadband any more and I'll have to
cancel my contract with them.

I suppose Sky aren't obliged to give me broadband if the problem's with BT's
line?

Does anyone know if I can request (make) BT fix the line to such a quality
that I can get broadband again?

Just keep working wih your ISP.

Thanks for any help

Toby T

Old June 10th 08, 10:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Just keep working wih your ISP.

He *has* been working with he's ISP $ky, but they said if BT can't fix the
line he would have to cancel the contract. What more can he do?

John.

Old June 10th 08, 10:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

John wrote:

Just keep working wih your ISP.

He *has* been working with he's ISP $ky, but they said if BT can't
fix the line he would have to cancel the contract. What more can he
do?

John.

There is no guarantee for DSL service or the coverage so the OP could be up
the creek.

If SKY is going to actually ask Openreach to check the line loss (hence the
Hawk) then they are pushing about as hard as they can. It could be
something as simple as changing the OP onto a better quality E side but then
again it could be an interfference problem which may clear up as quickly as
it began, but that won't even be looked at until the line loss is measured
(it's a long winded process for getting REINs problems investigated,
personally I think it's unneccesarily so).

Old June 10th 08, 10:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Does anyone know if I can request (make) BT fix the line to such a quality
that I can get broadband again?

Any problem with the phone?
It worked, the physical ine hasn't changed, it's possibly got
a dry joint, water in the street cable, noise level, there are
other possible causes.
Essentially fix it, BT have test sets that can tell you all
you need to know about the physical line, they
just don't use them, or possibly don't know how to
use them.
It's helpful if you have figures for attenuation, sync speed,
signal noise ratio, from your routers control panel
when it worked, but I presume you haven't?
If the phone is ok then you ought to sync, I'd suspect
an equipment fault, either at the exchange end, or your
router has died, so are you sure it is a line fault?
Unplug all the phone stuff as a test, does it sync?
Tried another filter? Could be a dry joint on its PCB.
Old June 11th 08, 12:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Yellow

] said:

[...]

You sound like one of those call centre Johnnys who insist on reading a
script stating the bleeding obvious even when you are in fact calling
for the hundredth time to progress an already acknowledged fault.

Move to India, there is a career in waiting for you!

:-)
Old June 11th 08, 11:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

John wrote:

Just keep working wih your ISP.

He *has* been working with he's ISP $ky, but they said if BT can't fix the
line he would have to cancel the contract. What more can he do?

John.

hats teh pint: if it did work and now doesn't there is a fault to
find,and BT can find it: they just have to be pressured by the ISP.

Which the IP's are all reluctant to do, since they get charged every
time some wosser reports a bad line, and it turns out his microfilter
has been chewed by the parrot etc etc.
Old June 11th 08, 01:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Davies

Yellow wrote:
You sound like one of those call centre Johnnys who insist on reading a
script stating the bleeding obvious even when you are in fact calling
for the hundredth time to progress an already acknowledged fault.

That sounds to me unnecessarily harsh. Ato_zee gave a number of good
suggestions, particularly given that we've not been told whether they've
already been checked. Sky are doing what they can. It's always worth
just checking everything else "just in case".

Chris
Old June 11th 08, 04:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Klunk

Yellow wrote:
You sound like one of those call centre Johnnys who insist on reading a
script stating the bleeding obvious even when you are in fact calling
for the hundredth time to progress an already acknowledged fault.

I guess the only respectful response to this is to tell the 'Yellow' to
sod off and fix it himself then.
Old June 11th 08, 04:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

John wrote:

Just keep working wih your ISP.

He *has* been working with he's ISP $ky, but they said if BT can't fix
the
line he would have to cancel the contract. What more can he do?

John.

hats teh pint: if it did work and now doesn't there is a fault to find,and
BT can find it: they just have to be pressured by the ISP.

Which the IP's are all reluctant to do, since they get charged every time
some wosser reports a bad line, and it turns out his microfilter has been
chewed by the parrot etc etc.

Not to mention, of course, the possibility that some Openreach engineer
might have "done something silly" in the local exchange which has
inadvertently knocked off the broadband connection.
This has happened at least twice to my son's broadband connection. He's wise
to the situation now, having spoken to various Openreach engineers in the
course of their fault-finding (which always seems to be put right quickly
after a visit to the local exchange). When it happens again, he can direct
his ISP to the possible cause, quoting similar drop-offs that have occurred
and the causes thereof.
One particularly long outage was caused by a faulty card in the exchange,
which the Openreach engineer had previously reported as needing to be
changed but was ruled as "too expensive to do right now" by his boss!
Amazing what you find out when you chat to your local Openreach engineers!

George